Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon X300 MCT Third-Party Paper Profiles  (Read 1766 times)

peninsula

Canon X300 MCT Third-Party Paper Profiles
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:45:09 pm »

Not sure if this topic will go anywhere, but for those of you with a Canon x300 printer, using the MCT to configure third-party papers, I'd like to provide a post where we can share our findings and possibly save others time and trouble, or at least give one another a good starting point.

To start things off, I'll share my configuration for H. Photo Rag Baryta 315. But first, a bit about me... I'm no rocket scientist and I'm doing my humble best to work with what I got.

Hahnemuhle recommends Special 5 for all of their glossy/semi-glossy papers. I figured we can do better, and I believe I have. I'll share my method (crude as it may be):

After evaluating ink usage choices with the  under-adequate test-print target that comes with the MCT, I perceived a drop in saturation at the High setting relative to the Medium-high setting, and better saturation for Medium-high relative to Standard (which should be called Medium IMO). This was done by looking at the color patch aspect of the test print with an 8x magnifying loop and under a D50 lamp. It was subtle, these differences, but I could reproduce my findings without any question. Otherwise, I find the MCT Test print worthless when attempting to perceive a difference among the three highest settings. I then configured a profile, entering the paper weight (315) and using the MCT "Assist", and went with the recommended HW Gloss Photo for the Standard Paper choice. I left both head height and Vacuum Strength at auto, and Max Ink Usage at Medium-high.

Next, I created paper profiles using both the Special 5 configuration and my custom configuration by printing a two-page 1860 patch profile target. I took these 1860 test prints and further evaluated them under the D50 lamp, and I could see darker color, perhaps with a tad more pop, viewing the Special 5 target, it was subtle. However, the Custom target showed, only in a few hues, clearly better tonal separation between patches. Using ProfileMaker, I made the profiles and I took both into ColorThink and compared them. I'd view one in the Wireframe mode and the other Flat, and switch the modes back and forth. It was subtle, but the custom configuration had a slight edge with a larger gamut.

I know this is not scientifically precise as I understand one can accomplish using other methods like ColorBurst software, but I have no question in my eye the Custom configuration using Medium-high for maximum ink volume is an improvement over the canned Special 5 setting. I'd love to hear other people's findings and techniques. I'm going to build a profile using H. Ultra-Smooth 305 next.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Canon X300 MCT Third-Party Paper Profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:32 am »

Quote from: peninsula
I'd like to provide a post where we can share our findings and possibly save others time and trouble, or at least give one another a good starting point.
FWIW, John Hollenberg has created a page on the Canon iPF printer wiki for this purpose. From canonipf.wikispaces.com click on "Custom Profiles" in the sidebar. On this page you'll find charts of papers and poeple's recommended media types for them.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Creating+Cu...on-Canon+Papers

Looks like it's time to start a new chart for the x300 printers. You can send him feedback for this page - email me for his address.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up