Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds sensor dust  (Read 2606 times)

francois

1Ds sensor dust
« on: September 04, 2004, 11:41:43 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Dave,
You are right! It looks like you have dust, it shows more when you close down the aperture.
Welcome to the Club!
Search on this forum and you'll find plenty of dusty sensors references.
Also you can read here on this site an excellent article about dust and cleaning methods.

Photographic Solutions (SensorSwabs & Eclipse fluid) don't list any dealer in your country, see here. You can order Swabs but Eclipse fluid is something that can't be shipped by air.

francois[/font]
Francois

Dabow

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:40:34 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Guys - thanks and for the advice.  So it's as I feared.  Oh well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.  Time to do my homework and get the cleaning swabs out.  I'll take a look at the articles you've mentioned.

Rgds,

Dave[/font]

Dabow

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 01:37:14 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Mitch,
Your approach for swapping is identical to mine.  I am always extremely cautious when it comes to changing lenses as I don't relish the idea of a sensor clean, especially with all the horror stories I see going about!

Out of curiosity I asked Canon here in Malaysia on their recommendations.  Quite worryingly this was it:

"You can purchase it from  "www.lenspen.com

Rgds,

Dave[/font]

Dabow

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:14:02 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Tim,
Okay... I'm surprised!  After seeing all the debate I didn't think something so simple would suit the task.  It looked as though Canon were just fobbing me off.  I've been using one on my lenses but would never have considered one for sensor cleaning.  Part of that was down to shape (my lens one is round).  I bought that one in the UK so I'll need to check around here in Malaysia if there's a supplier.

Cheers[/font]

Dabow

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 10:59:44 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']As careful as I am with my 1Ds I was horrified today to see what I imagine to be dust specks on some landscape shots.  Some of the shots were taken with a wide aperture - on those there is no evidence.  Others on one considerably smaller - specks are very visible on these shots.  With the consistency throughout the small aperture shots - specks of same size, same place, etc. - would I be right in assuming this is dust on the sensor?

If so I suppose now is the time to steady my hands and steel my nerves for the task ahead

Any help/information/guidance greatly appreciated.

Btw - I live in Malaysia just outside KL.  Does anyone know of a good supplier for swabs, methanol, etc?

Rgds,

Dave[/font]

Clint S

• www.gravelbed.com
1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:51:27 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Have a look at what didger has written about cleaning sensors. He's had some major problems and has tried plenty of things and seems to have come up with a winner using Visible Dust products. Have a look around the forums or do a search.[/font]
Dare to Dream - Dare to Follow your Drea

gmitchel

• http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com
1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 01:57:15 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']The easiest way to tell if you have dust on your sensor is to take a picture of a photographic gray or white card. Those dust bunnies will be obvious.

I have a Giotto Rocket for blowing dust off the sensor. When that does not do the trick, I take the camera into Cam-Tek in Tampa. He's a camera repair technician. He uses a microscope and a micro-vacuum to remove any dust, pollen, etc. It costs me $25.

You cannot really touch the sensor. It is behind the low-pass filter. Still, I'm risk-adverse about touching that. So, I would rather pay $25 to have it cleaned when a blast of air from the Giotto Rocket is not sufficient. So far, I've only had one DSLR cleaned (out of three).

Most of the dust comes from the rear of your lens. So I keep mine capped until the last second. Then I hold the camera with the lens opening facing the ground, quickly swap the lenses, and immediately recap the second lens. If the car is nearby, I'll do the lens swap inside the car.

Cheers,

Mitch[/font]

ternst

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 08:34:41 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Dave:

The reason that Canon referenced Lenspen is because that is exactly what they use when you ship your camera to them to be cleaned. First they blow it off; then use a tweezers with cloth to scrub; and finally use a "Lenspen" to wipe. It really does work, and obviously Canon thinks it is OK since that is what they use. I've been using Lenspens for years on lenses, but just recently started using one for sensor cleaning after Seth Resnick told me that is what Canon uses. They come in different sizes and shapes - I use one that is triangle-shaped, which is great for getting into the corners. I do keep one just for sensor cleaning, and have another one in my camera bag for lenses.

Tim Ernst
www.Cloudland.net[/font]

ternst

1Ds sensor dust
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 04:32:13 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I was a bit surprised too when Seth told us that is what the Canon tech used, especially with all the voodoo associated with this. But when you really think about it, all you are doing is cleaning a FILTER - you are not touching a sensor at all (although you certainly could scratch or otherwise damage the filter if not careful). Someone is making a killing on those $4 swabs, and feeding on the fear we all have, or at least used to have. My biggest concern when doing a sensor cleaning is making sure that the shutter doesn't close while in the process and smash into the lenspen - that would put a damper on your day. So you always have to make sure your battery is freshly charged, or your AC unit is attached to a battery backup.

They do list that triange-shaped pen on their web site - it is being touted as used to clean the LCD screen, which is why it is shaped that way.

Tim Ernst
www.Cloudland.net[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up