Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer/work surface  (Read 4694 times)

Mark Potter

Printer/work surface
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »

i have searched around the forum with no luck but I really thought I ran across some post about tables and counters some have made?

I have my studio in a room that is only 10 x11 and I have a Z3100 on it's supplied stand and no place to lay prints when i am working. currently I have a 5' folding table that I open to use but it swallows the room when I do and I really need to move around it.

My thought is to make a printer stand for my Z3100 that incorporates some shelves and such but to also have a flat surface abovet the printer 60-70" x 30-35" and have this all on casters so I can get behind the printer for loading, but also so when I have a print on the table I can move it away from the wall a few feet to create an island work surface that I can walk around when coating or framing/wrapping canvas.

Currently I am looking at IKEA and seeing about trying to "make" something but could really use some guidance for others that may have already addressed such issues?

I am also going to talk to a local cabinet & furniture maker to see what they might charge to make what i am wanting.

Anyone make such a table/counter of have any thought or suggestions?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Printer/work surface
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:32:02 am »

I have a similar workroom (which also has bookcases and other storage in it.  Fortunately I don't have my printer in the room so there is more flexibility.  I bought one of the Ikea "dining room" tables with legs and that works fine (and they also have plastic storage holders that fix onto the leg which is quite convenient).  I suspect this is not an option for you.  One other approach would be to have the work surface you need hinged to the wall at one end so that it could be raised and lowered as necessary.  This would be easier than the folding table you now use and would be a cheaper alternative to the custom made set up you are describing.  Just a thought.

Alan

BobFisher

Printer/work surface
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:09 am »

Rather than putting it on casters so you can get behind it, what about putting it sideways on the shelf?  That way the back is more exposed, you can put the shelving up against the wall and save space.  Not being too familiar with HP printers I don't know if that's practical but it definitely would be for my Epson.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Printer/work surface
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:55 am »

Andy Biggs wrote an article for the site a while back about using Ikea kitchen furniture for a stand. Varde is the particular variation I think he used, although it can be tricky to find at Ikea.

I'm currently using Ikea standard kitchen base cabinets in plain white. I bought a 36" and 18" section that consists of 8 drawers. It holds my Canon iPF5100 perfectly and has plenty of room for paper underneath.

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

loonsailor

Printer/work surface
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:20 am »

I have my Epson 3880 on an Ikea Alex http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30104322.  It fits well, and has nice drawers, though they're about 1/2" too small for 17x22 paper.  But, it doesn't provide the workspace you want.

You might look at http://www.anthro.com/.  They provide very high quality systems that you can customize with shelves, drawers, casters, baskets, etc.  You could craft something to fit you space.  I've used their stuff, and it's excellent.

Scott Shelerud

Printer/work surface
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:47:40 pm »

I have been using the IKEA Varde stand for my IPF5100.  The drawers easily hold 17" paper rolls in the box.  It does not come on casters, but that would be an easy fix.

I have a small office as well and know how critical the space issues can become.  If you find a slick solution, please post it for all of us to share.
Scott Shelerud

Knife Island Images

www.KnifeIsland.com

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Printer/work surface
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:14:16 am »

I, too, am a fan of the Ikea Varde series. My space is larger than that of the OP, but the Varde line is generally pretty good and offers several options. I have two of these, back to back, to create a work island, as well as another similar model against a wall. I'm very happy with the tables. Castors could be added to most models in this line because the legs are quite robust.

Here's the whole line (as offered in the U.S.): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=varde

Ikea also sells adjustable legs for supporting countertops. I'm using them to support an 8 foot counter that is attached to the wall. No mobility, but sturdy and easy.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:15:44 am by DFAllyn »

Mark Potter

Printer/work surface
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:38 am »

These are some good suggestions. One thing is I should have stated the size of the HP Z3100, this is a 24" printer that is right at 47" wide and around 130lbs so putting it on a shelf is not possible.

Right now I am looking at the IKEA products and possibly building on to suit. I am also going to check out the web site that was suggested  http://www.anthro.com/.

Any more ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Peter Mellis

Printer/work surface
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:20:52 am »

My work space is also about 10 X 11; I use two of the Ikea Varde tables as per Dale Allyn's response. In my case, I have them arranged on two adjacent walls (forming an L), with a six foot pine table on the third wall. The Varde units are very well built and mostly wood, versus the typical Ikea particle board. I have two Epson printers (2200 and 3800) on one and have a sheet of glass on top of the other, which is used for prints, matting, etc. One plus with the Varde units is that, being kitchen work units, they are 35" high versus typical table height of around 30". This additional height is great for working with prints and easier on the back. The two shelves and three drawers in each unit hold a lot of stuff.

If you decide to use these Varde units, be advised that they are very heavy and it seems that the stores don't stock them. Ikea's freight charges are very high and customer service on the delivery side is about the worst. Try to get them delivered to the store and pick them up yourself; be sure to come with a vehicle that is big enough and another person to help. If you put them on casters, be sure to get good strong ones with easily accessible locking.

They have been a perfect solution for me, but are a pain in the neck to get (maybe just my experience).

Pete Berry

Printer/work surface
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:10 pm »

I went from using a 5' oak table for my iPF5000, which was not that solid, to a 4' kitchen base cabinet with a 3/4" ply top and 3/4" kitchen counter laminate on top of this: rock solid, two nice drawers, and cabinets under which hold up to 17x22" cut sheet boxes end-on and all my 17" roll stock. In addition, a 12" wide by 3' high free-standing cabinet with 4 shelves to hold my 8.5x11 stock and boxes of prints. Home Depot has several grades of these for great prices and a variety of stock laminate lengths.

Pete

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Printer/work surface
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:26 pm »

@Peter Mellis: It may just depend on location. The Ikea in my area stocks the line, so it's just cash and carry if you're prepared. I think the website has a tool for checking availability at a given store.

Good stuff to mention though, as apparently it varies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up