Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon Lens Choice  (Read 3417 times)

StephanieBrand

Antelope Canyon Lens Choice
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »

Headed up to do both upper and lower AC as well as Coalmine in early August.  

Plan is Upper on a 10 AM photo tour (2 1/2 hours); back to Page for a quick lunch; back to do about 4 hours in Lower AC (where we've been before and know the drill) and then on to Coalmine for sunset. If the monsoon gods cooperate it should be super.

We been to LAC and Coalmine before, but not to UAC (and prior trip was in winter). Last time I carried 2 XSi's with a 24-105L on one and a 10-22S on the other. This time I have only one XSi with me and am not inclined (due to dust) to change lenses in the canyons. So, which lens do you recommend as the best lens for each canyon understanding both the differences between the canyons and the time of day we'll be at each?

I've recently seen some great shots here taken in both canyons with a longer lens (70-110mm) at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...-Canyons.shtml

but know that the general advice is to go wide.

During the winter when I carried both, I tended to use the 24-105 more, though I kept to the wide end of its range. Never having been to UAC and knowing I should be there for the beams I'm just not sure. Thoughts from those who have been there? (Of course, change lenses between UAC and LAC is no problem at all, should that be what I decide to do).
Thanks
Stephanie

rkissinger

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

Quote from: StephanieBrand
During the winter when I carried both, I tended to use the 24-105 more, though I kept to the wide end of its range. Never having been to UAC and knowing I should be there for the beams I'm just not sure. Thoughts from those who have been there? (Of course, change lenses between UAC and LAC is no problem at all, should that be what I decide to do).

Hi!

Just have been there in June and brought the 17-40 on the 5D II for the upper canyon, which seemed fine for me. I did not want to change lenses in the upper canyon as I had enough trouble keeping sand off the equipment already.

In the lower part, I used the longer lenses as well and the sand was not as much of a problem.  

One thing I can recommend is to get canned air to dust of the equipment when you come out of the canyons. That saved me some trouble I guess, but sand is a b*tch anyway...

One thing I found kind of annyoing in the upper part is that almost all of the time the guide recommended "good" picture opportunities. Not much of exploring the place on your own was possible. Maybe that was kind of to be expected in a place like this, but still I would have preferred to not being dragged from "photo spot to photo spot".

Still a wonderful place to visit, though!

Have fun,

René

elf

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:54:32 pm »

Quote from: StephanieBrand
Headed up to do both upper and lower AC as well as Coalmine in early August.  

Plan is Upper on a 10 AM photo tour (2 1/2 hours); back to Page for a quick lunch; back to do about 4 hours in Lower AC (where we've been before and know the drill) and then on to Coalmine for sunset. If the monsoon gods cooperate it should be super.

We been to LAC and Coalmine before, but not to UAC (and prior trip was in winter). Last time I carried 2 XSi's with a 24-105L on one and a 10-22S on the other. This time I have only one XSi with me and am not inclined (due to dust) to change lenses in the canyons. So, which lens do you recommend as the best lens for each canyon understanding both the differences between the canyons and the time of day we'll be at each?

I've recently seen some great shots here taken in both canyons with a longer lens (70-110mm) at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...-Canyons.shtml

but know that the general advice is to go wide.

Thanks
Stephanie

I think the answer depends on what kind of photographer you are. Most photographs of the canyons I've seen have been executed well, but end up looking like every other photograph of them.  What are you going to do to bring your vision to the images?

StephanieBrand

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:12:34 pm »

Quote from: elf
I think the answer depends on what kind of photographer you are. Most photographs of the canyons I've seen have been executed well, but end up looking like every other photograph of them.  What are you going to do to bring your vision to the images?

...good question.  I think that question is helping me think through the answer to my own question... I know I was pretty happy with the 24-105 at LAC and will probably go with it again, but a piece of me wants some beam pictures from UAC though, in general, I really like going tighter.  It remains, as the old phrase goes, a puzzlement.
S

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

Using a D300, I started with a 70-200 and immediately switched to a 24-70.  The 70-200 was way too long and the 24-70 was just about perfect.  I wish I had the 45 t/s at that time as I think that would have been a good choice.  I agree with you, changing lenses down in the slots is not a good idea.

StephanieBrand

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »

Quote from: soberle
Using a D300, I started with a 70-200 and immediately switched to a 24-70.  The 70-200 was way too long and the 24-70 was just about perfect.  I wish I had the 45 t/s at that time as I think that would have been a good choice.  I agree with you, changing lenses down in the slots is not a good idea.

I'm beginning to think I'll take the 10-22 into Upper AC and switch to the 24-105 for lower.  Feel fairly comfortable re: choice for lower but not sure at all re: using the wide angle in Upper.... Thoughts?
thanks
s

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:20 pm »

Do you have access to two cameras???

StephanieBrand

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »

Quote from: soberle
Do you have access to two cameras???

Didn't bring a second camera body.  No one here to borrow from. That's what prompted the post in the first place :-)
stephanie
Pages: [1]   Go Up