Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2880 & 3880 related question to my earlier post  (Read 3529 times)

pcg

Epson 2880 & 3880 related question to my earlier post
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »

So after a wonderful series of replies to my OP by members here on replacing my old 2200, I wandered over to Amazon to look at prices for the 2880/3880. For both printers, there are numerous posts that essentially read, "Don't buy this printer!" The feedback relates to jams, electronic failures, service issues, ink costs (of course) & other  types of general whining. The complaints are offset by raves.

Should I been concerned? After all, the 3880 is $700+.

Comments appreciated!

Pat

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »

Quote from: pcg
So after a wonderful series of replies to my OP by members here on replacing my old 2200, I wandered over to Amazon to look at prices for the 2880/3880. For both printers, there are numerous posts that essentially read, "Don't buy this printer!" The feedback relates to jams, electronic failures, service issues, ink costs (of course) & other  types of general whining. The complaints are offset by raves.

Comments appreciated!

Pat

Where did you find the 3880 for $700?

My 2880 hasn't failed so I have no real opinion on the subject.

pcg

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »

Hm, sorry. The 3880 is $1,140 on Amazon. My mistake. I was quoting the cost of the R2880.

Question stands. :-)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:24:35 pm »

When I moved to digital, I bought a 2880 and had it for 14 months before moving up to a 3880 (I didn't know how much printing I was going to be doing).  I did not have any problems with the 2880 aside from the paper rollers getting dirty from matte fine art paper (cleaning sheets took care of the problem quite easily).  I've had a 3880 since February and am still on the original ink cartridges.  My printing is sporadic and the machine may be "silent" for 3-4 weeks at a time.  I've not encountered any problems on start up and just do a precautionary nozzle check (if I remember).

Alan

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:34:54 pm »

The biggest problem I had on my 2200 was the size of the ink cartridges. Several times I ran out of one ink just when I was starting to try to print several! Eventually I developed the habit of keeping two or three spares of every ink at all times!

Since I got my 3800 (I think April of 2009), I have replaced a couple of cartridges, but it takes so long for a cartridge to run out that I can wait until one is really quite low before ordering spares.

I have had no problems at all with my 3800, and the 3880 should be just as good. The 2200 did require occasional head cleanings and adjustments; the 3800 seems rock solid and nothing goes wrong.

Plus: Eric Chan's website devoted to the 3800 is enormously valuable for anyone trying to get good results from either a 3800 or a 3880. I'm not aware of any comparable resource for any other printer.

You can find it here.

-Eric ("not Chan")

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:31:43 am »

I moved from a 2100 (European version of the 2200) to the 3800. My 2100 had unfrequent nozzle clogs and the cartridge changes were an annoyance at best. In the end, it broke down completely. The 3800 has been running fine and I printed more sheets with this one than with the 2100. The only occasional issues revolve around the paper feed system. I now just make sure that the paper sheets are flat before printing. No clogging problems and the larger ink cartridges are a big advantage over the minuscule ones in the 2100.
Francois

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »

Quote from: pcg

Comments appreciated!

Pat
Short answer, no.

Amazon rating is 5 stars.  I'm not sure what you read, and I'm not going to read the comments, because if I want an opinion about anything I would never trust reviews from a site like Amazon.  Who knows who the users are and what their motivations are.  I don't know why anyone takes the time to write reviews for a site like that, but there isn't much credibility.  Not that they're bad, it's just they aren't much of a real guide to the product.  No device is perfect, and those that get unlucky enough to get one that is less than expected are likely to criticize in a place like Amazon, just to try and make themselves feel better.  Not much use.

The users on forums such as this are a FAR better source.  I personally have 2 3800's, have a 3880 under heavy daily usage at my little camera store, and have sold many other 3800's and 3880's.  So far only one person has ever had to get it serviced by Epson, and it was 3 years old and very used.

The 3800 (and 3880) may very well be the best printer ever made by any company.  I never recommend the 2880 to anyone doing serious printing, simply because the ink costs will more than make up the difference, and the printer is closer to a pro grade printer.  A much wiser investment.

pcg

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »

Just to wind this aging discussion up, I ended up getting the R2880, which arrived today. I took a serious look at ink use, and printer cost, and decided that my printing--although serious--will be sporadic. The R2880 made sense in that context, and I've already printed a couple knockout 11x14 prints.

Kudos to all who helped!
Pages: [1]   Go Up