Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to prolong life of ink?  (Read 1370 times)

adamlogan

How to prolong life of ink?
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »

Hello I have had a Canon i9900 in my possession for years but I rarely ever used it since the program at my college was generous enough to allow me to print with their wide format printers for free. I am attempting to sell it for $70 or so since I will need to be mobile and this printer is not something that I want to lug around. Someone has approached me about buying the printer but wants to know how long the inks last. An issue I've always had with this printer is how fast the printer tells me to replace the cartridges.

It's kind of dawning on me now that I probably should have done a nozzle check once a week or so, but I didn't know better. It's my first printer. Would printing off a nozzle check alone make a huge difference in how long these BCI-6 line of Canon Inks last? Is there another approach to preserving the inks when not in use?

I recall reading about some guy talking about using alcohol, a syringe, and using rubber for a cap to store ink cartridges for long periods of time. Sounded way too complicated and risky to me so I never investigated or attempted it myself. I can't seem to find that article anymore.

I'd like to know for myself if I decide to keep the printer, or to pass on the information to whoever buys the printer.

natas

How to prolong life of ink?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

Quote from: adamlogan
Hello I have had a Canon i9900 in my possession for years but I rarely ever used it since the program at my college was generous enough to allow me to print with their wide format printers for free. I am attempting to sell it for $70 or so since I will need to be mobile and this printer is not something that I want to lug around. Someone has approached me about buying the printer but wants to know how long the inks last. An issue I've always had with this printer is how fast the printer tells me to replace the cartridges.

It's kind of dawning on me now that I probably should have done a nozzle check once a week or so, but I didn't know better. It's my first printer. Would printing off a nozzle check alone make a huge difference in how long these BCI-6 line of Canon Inks last? Is there another approach to preserving the inks when not in use?

I recall reading about some guy talking about using alcohol, a syringe, and using rubber for a cap to store ink cartridges for long periods of time. Sounded way too complicated and risky to me so I never investigated or attempted it myself. I can't seem to find that article anymore.

I'd like to know for myself if I decide to keep the printer, or to pass on the information to whoever buys the printer.

I don't know much about the i9900 but I have had similar situations in the past.

First thing with my current printers. If the ink is setting for a long time I pop the carts out and shake them about 1-2 times a month. I also try to do a purge print about every 2 weeks.

I had a HP B9180 that I let sit for 3 months without. It was turned off during this time. It never recovered. I replaced ink, printheads and even cleared the lines out and cleaned them...it never recovered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up