Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 and camera settings  (Read 5019 times)

DeanSonneborn

C1 and camera settings
« on: July 31, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

Do I understand this correctly? C1 will read the camera settings when it  de-mosaics a raw image. This is compared with LR ignores the camera settings when it reads in a raw file. Does C1 apply the camera setting to the raw file as a starting point?

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
C1 and camera settings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »

If it does it's news to me, and I've been using C1 for several years now.  I thought the only RAW converters that paid any attention to the camera settings were Canon's own.

Now, it does read the "as shot" WB I believe, but I'm reasonably sure that's all.

Nill

DeanSonneborn

C1 and camera settings
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
If it does it's news to me, and I've been using C1 for several years now.  I thought the only RAW converters that paid any attention to the camera settings were Canon's own.

Now, it does read the "as shot" WB I believe, but I'm reasonably sure that's all.

Nill

So that means if I used Capture NX2 then the raw image would be processed according the the camera settings? Meaning that the raw image would look like the camera-precessed jpg? But that it, at least, would be 16 bit image and not 8 bit jpg?

DeanSonneborn

C1 and camera settings
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:50:51 pm »

Quote from: DeanSonneborn
So that means if I used Capture NX2 then the raw image would be processed according the the camera settings? Meaning that the raw image would look like the camera-precessed jpg? But that it, at least, would be 16 bit image and not 8 bit jpg?

So then what does C1 get from the camera profile?

tho_mas

C1 and camera settings
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:05:58 am »

- only Capture NX will read camera settings (i.e. the RAW software will read certain camera settings and replicate them as settings for the RAW conversion),
In Capture NX also lens correction are applied automatically
- neither LR nor C1 will read camera settings
- the "camera profile" in C1 only defines the "look" of the images. It's a color profile based on characterization data of the camera (but tweaked further).
LR also contains such a color profile (but it's hidden in the software so you can't can't access it; C1 profiles are icc profiles)

DeanSonneborn

C1 and camera settings
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:42:43 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
- only Capture NX will read camera settings (i.e. the RAW software will read certain camera settings and replicate them as settings for the RAW conversion),
In Capture NX also lens correction are applied automatically
- neither LR nor C1 will read camera settings
- the "camera profile" in C1 only defines the "look" of the images. It's a color profile based on characterization data of the camera (but tweaked further).
LR also contains such a color profile (but it's hidden in the software so you can't can't access it; C1 profiles are icc profiles)

I guess people can tell I'm trying to decide between C1 and Capture and LR3. I can see benefits to either and I'm trying to decide which short comings I can live with.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Re: C1 and camera settings
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

You should try them all; C1 and LR both have 30-day free trials.  Only caveat to that is they have pretty significant learning curves ...

Nill
Pages: [1]   Go Up