Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5DII Broken USB Port anybody?  (Read 4070 times)

Snook

Canon 5DII Broken USB Port anybody?
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

Was tethered shooting the other day in my studio and a model tripped over my USB cord to the camera and it bent the end of the cord and now the USB port does not work in the 5DII so I cannot tether shoot anymore or even use the USB connection.
I had 3 of these go out on my 1DsMII and it was a pain as the firewire port was fragile..
I thought the 5DII usb option was going to be stronger.
Does anybody know if this is covered by Canon as a repair?
Has anyybody else had this happen?
Thanks for any comments
Snook

schrodingerscat

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Was tethered shooting the other day in my studio and a model tripped over my USB cord to the camera and it bent the end of the cord and now the USB port does not work in the 5DII so I cannot tether shoot anymore or even use the USB connection.
I had 3 of these go out on my 1DsMII and it was a pain as the firewire port was fragile..
Thanks for any comments
Snook

Canon will fix it, but probably not under warranty. USB, as well as the other ports, are mounted on circuit boards about the same on all cameras, surface mounted with solder only. Care should be taken in any case. I've seen cameras from several brands suffering from this damage, and avoiding it is one of the reasons why I've always used card readers and external battery chargers.

Digital cameras are pretty much miniature laptop computers with camera stuff attached. They will not withstand the abuse that most film cameras will.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 03:59:46 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Thanks for any comments
Snook

For tethered shooting or in any other case use a velcro or anything to fix the cable tight to a strong part of the camera e.g. the eye for the neckstrap, so that there will be no mechanical load to the ports. Don´t forget the other end, computer ports are sensitive, too. This will not help right now but might for the future. Hope it´s not getting too expensive.

Cheers, Ulf
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:05:00 pm by UlfKrentz »

David McCaughan

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:50:23 am »

We always use a short (12-20") angled cord and then a long active extension so that it just comes unplugged before any damage is done. We've talked about doing it at the computer end as well, probably a good idea. If shooting hand held I often put a tiny piece of gaffer's on the connection for a little extra resistance. Good luck with the repair, hope it's not too bad.
This is what we use:
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mbl01-72gl.html

Snook

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:06 am »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...
Will let you all know what Canon says when I get a chance.. Swamped with work right now and do not have time to leave it to be serviced...
Snook
Pages: [1]   Go Up