Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dawn Shot  (Read 4940 times)

Ed Blagden

Dawn Shot
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:57 pm »

Did I go too far?

[attachment=23396:EB_2748.jpg]

walter.sk

Dawn Shot
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »

Depends on what you want.  It certainly is not a "traditional" photograph, but if you were looking to accentuate the surrealistic and graphic qualities of the scene, it works just fine (for me).  I also think it would make a stunning black & white.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:29:05 pm by walter.sk »

John R

Dawn Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »

Note sure what you mean by, "Did I go too far?" Do you mean that you made the colours pop, or enhanced them? I have seen colours like this before, but it is difficult to capture them and still hold some foreground detail without a split-neutral density filter. A lovely image, which looks familiar. Is it one you posted before?

JMR

Dick Roadnight

Dawn Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
Did I go too far?
I like it.

¿Where was it? ... the lakes I came across in Kenya were full of birds! (20 or 30 species in a glance).

In a timeless picture like that you could have cheated and included a silhouette of a pterodactyl!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Dawn Shot
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

It looks over-cooked to me. Could you tone the colours down a bit? A little less saturation? Understated is generally good, IMO

Phil Indeblanc

Dawn Shot
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
Depends on what you want.  It certainly is not a "traditional" photograph, but if you were looking to accentuate the surrealistic and graphic qualities of the scene, it works just fine (for me).  I also think it would make a stunning black & white.

If you were to make a Duratran of this for some specific reason where it fits the color spectrum, I would say that is great....Othwise too much of a rainbow for me, vibrance/sat.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Dawn Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:14:52 pm »

While I usually prefer monochrome photography, I literally was singing "America the Beautiful" ("...for purple mountains' majesties") in my head as I looked at it, even though it's probably NOT in America.  I don't think it's overdone at all.  I think you captured a majestic moment beautifully!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:16:26 pm by jasonrandolph »

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Dawn Shot
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »

I like the lower 2/3 but I think you overdid the sky, at the point where it transitions into magenta then blue - comes across to me as over-torqued on the saturation slider.  There also appears to me to be a bit of a tonal disconnect between the colour of the sky and its reflection in the water as if you applied the saturation adjustments only to the sky and mountains.
[size=12p

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Dawn Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:16:11 am »

I'm with the minority that feel it is somewhat overcooked. My first thought was "I need to put on my sunglasses!"

It's a lovely scene and would still be lovely with lower saturation, IMHO.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Dawn Shot
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:59:28 am »

I'm glad it's not just me!

I think it's a nice composition, & I'd really like to see a softer, more 'pastel' version

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Dawn Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:50:28 am »

I like it. The neon-like colors are good - like nature on steroids. How does it look in print?

It’s one of the few images I've seen here recently that isn't like every other one.

Ed Blagden

Dawn Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

Thanks all for your comments.  The actual scene didn't quite look like this in real life (a bit more muted) but I was kind of fascinated to see how the colours came out in Lightroom when I applied the Camera Landscape calibration profile (a bit of the develop module which I have only recently noticed).  Apart from that, all I did was pump the contrast a bit and the vibrance a little bit more (OK, quite a lot more).  

The scene is Lake Baringo, in Northern Kenya.  A great place to take photos if you like doing landscape and wildlife.

Quote from: walter.sk

Yes, surreal is what I was after... I'm excited by your B&W idea, honestly that thought hadn't even considered the possibility of crossing my mind.  I'll give it a go and post if it works.

Quote from: John R
Note sure what you mean by, "Did I go too far?" Do you mean that you made the colours pop, or enhanced them? I have seen colours like this before, but it is difficult to capture them and still hold some foreground detail without a split-neutral density filter. A lovely image, which looks familiar. Is it one you posted before?

JMR

Thanks John.  No, I have not posted this one before but I did put up a similar one from the same shoot a month or so ago.

Quote from: Chairman Bill
It looks over-cooked to me. Could you tone the colours down a bit? A little less saturation? Understated is generally good, IMO

Quote from: jasonrandolph
While I usually prefer monochrome photography, I literally was singing "America the Beautiful" ("...for purple mountains' majesties") in my head as I looked at it, even though it's probably NOT in America.  I don't think it's overdone at all.  I think you captured a majestic moment beautifully!

Yes, well I think these two comments illustrate that this is a Marmite* photo.  You are not going to get a neutral response to it!  I don't think any of my photos have inspired anyone to song before, so that is a first!

*  For the benefit of non-English readers, Marmite is a revolting substance derived from yeast which is spread on toast.  Some people love it.  Others hate it.  What you never find is indifference.

Quote from: Justan
I like it. The neon-like colors are good - like nature on steroids. How does it look in print?

It’s one of the few images I've seen here recently that isn't like every other one.

Thanks - that is a nice compliment.  In print, it looks a little more muted but still very striking.  In fact when I first developed the photo I kept myself in check and it looked OK on screen but slightly dull in print.  So I went bonkers with the vibrance slider, and liked the rather surreal result on the screen.  

Dick Roadnight

Dawn Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:13:22 am »

The scene is Lake Baringo, in Northern Kenya.  A great place to take photos if you like doing landscape and wildlife.
I thought that there was only one lake in Northern Kenya (Lake Rudolf, which they now call Lake Turkana, mostly famous for Flamingos and Crocodiles)... and, according to Google, Lake Barinro is normally dry, and is in central Kenya. ...I wish I could find the pictures I took there in 1975!

I suppose that many people think that Northern England starts at Watford!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ed Blagden

Dawn Shot
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:50:36 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I thought that there was only one lake in Northern Kenya (Lake Rudolf, which they now call Lake Turkana, mostly famous for Flamingos and Crocodiles)... and, according to Google, Lake Barinro is normally dry, and is in central Kenya. ...I wish I could find the pictures I took there in 1975!

I suppose that many people think that Northern England starts at Watford!

Yes, not seriously north - about 100km or so North of the Equator though, and by then you are getting into the dry and remote area of the Rift Valley.  Turkana is a lot further north.

Google has it wrong about the lake being dry - I have visited Baringo many times over the last 15 years and I can assure you that it is permanently wet!  The lake level goes up and down a bit according to rainfall but it never dries out.  It is a fresh water lake (as opposed to a soda lake such as Nakuru, Bogoria, Magadi etc) and so supports hippos and crocs, but not flamingos.

shutterpup

Dawn Shot
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »

When I saw the thumbnail, I thought it too cooked. Then I looked at the enlarged version and thought "just beautiful!" Can't imagine it in black and white though since it is the color that makes this image perfect. Great image and I think you're right about it being Marmite

Ed Blagden

Dawn Shot
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:15 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
When I saw the thumbnail, I thought it too cooked. Then I looked at the enlarged version and thought "just beautiful!" Can't imagine it in black and white though since it is the color that makes this image perfect. Great image and I think you're right about it being Marmite
Thanks.

I tried it in B&W - this is the best I could do although I'm sure others could do better.  I still prefer my Technicolor version.

Ed

[attachment=23431:EB_2748_2.jpg]

Eric Myrvaagnes

Dawn Shot
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 04:37:04 pm »

Thanks.

I tried it in B&W - this is the best I could do although I'm sure others could do better.  I still prefer my Technicolor version.

Ed

Both versions are nice. But I wouldn't put them both up in the same room!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ivokwee

• http://www.fotoclublugano.com/~ivo/portfolio
Dawn Shot
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

I like the color version a lot. However to me the left tree is somehow too much. A crop with just mountains a the right tree feels much less crowded. Beautiful shot in any case.

shutterpup

Dawn Shot
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 01:56:45 pm »

Thanks.

Ed

Ed,
Although I love black and white, and here it is very pleasant, I still prefer the technicolor version.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Dawn Shot
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »

Thanks.

Ed

My vote goes to the b&w. The colour version hurts my eyes but I could stare at this for ages. I think it might have looked better if you'd been a little further to your right when you took it but maybe there was a crocodile in the way.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:48:18 pm by kikashi »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up