Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perspective Correction in LR3  (Read 3000 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Perspective Correction in LR3
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:50 am »

In the absence of my trial version of LR3, perhaps you folks could just advise me on a couple of points -
* In the Perspective Correction panel, are you also able to rotate the image (rather than having to go to the Crop tool for this).

* I would have imagined (but I have not seen much discussion of this) that you would be wise to apply PC before using adjustment brushes, the spot healing tool, or grad filters, rather than applying those effects and then distorting them with PC. Has anyone experimented with this, and which workflow order works best?

I don't do formal architectural work (for which you really have to have a shift lens), but I do shoot a lot of what you might term pictorial architectural - churches, townscapes, harbours and quays. Most of the time I manage to frame things up level, but somtimes tilting the camera is unavoidable, and then PC is my only salvation. In the darkroom I just used to tilt the easel, and if you stopped down well this used to work OK  

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith
In the absence of my trial version of LR3, perhaps you folks could just advise me on a couple of points -
* In the Perspective Correction panel, are you also able to rotate the image (rather than having to go to the Crop tool for this).

* I would have imagined (but I have not seen much discussion of this) that you would be wise to apply PC before using adjustment brushes, the spot healing tool, or grad filters, rather than applying those effects and then distorting them with PC. Has anyone experimented with this, and which workflow order works best?

John
Yes, there's a rotate slider in the manual perspective correction panel. It's not clear whether its effect differs from that of rotate in the crop panel.

There's been some discussion here, I think, which suggested that perspective correction should indeed be done before using other tools.

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

Yes, you can rotate in the perspective correction panel.  I believe your second question was answered in another thread by Jeff; perspective correction first makes sense in a lot of cases.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:23 am »

Thanks for the replies, folks. Looks like I may just have to shell out for the upgrade and hope I can beat it into submission on my PC. For some reason I have a load of recent shots which all seem to need Perspective Correction, and going back and forwards to PS is getting tedious.

John
an

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:45 am »

I do a lot of church pictures, including stained glass windows, and have found the perspective control works well and saves lots of time!

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:32:19 am »

Quote from: RogerW
I do a lot of church pictures, including stained glass windows, and have found the perspective control works well and saves lots of time!

Yes, Roger, the SGW problem. Without a very tall stepladder, or somehow getting a cherry-picker inside the church, you are pretty much snookered. Even a shift lens is usually defeated by this one. And there is some great glass around. Here in Cornwall, St Neot has utterly wonderful medieval glass intact, amazingly. And Ladock has some William Morris windows.

UPDATE - I just ordered a licensed copy of LR3. So this sucker had better work without crashing every ten minutes, or I shall just crawl into the corner and cry. Or dust off my enlarger and dev dish. Cross your collective fingers and touch wood for me, folks

John
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:03:19 am by John R Smith »
an

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:57 pm »

HI John, what does your PC config look like (operating system, CPU, etc.)? I should sure hope that LR 3 won't be crashing every 10 minutes ... !!
Eric Chan

John R Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
HI John, what does your PC config look like (operating system, CPU, etc.)? I should sure hope that LR 3 won't be crashing every 10 minutes ... !!

Not every ten minutes, yet, Eric - but read my "Here We Go" post with the lurid details.

John
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:58:33 am by John R Smith »
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up