Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube, Vimeo etc...  (Read 16155 times)

fredjeang

YouTube, Vimeo etc...
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:17 pm »

Hi,

what would you recommend to upload HD videos and create an account?

YouTube, Vimeo...are there others as good if not better?

Thanks.

BobFisher

YouTube, Vimeo etc...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »

YouTube is more commercial.  YouTube is more for 'less serious' efforts.

Vimeo has a cleaner interface, better functionality (if you upload a file and want to replace it, you can do that without having to delete and all settings, view counts, etc. remain in place) and is the more serious of the two.  Vimeo doesn't allow commercial postings and it doesn't allow using its servers as a hosting source for video you want to embed elsewhere (e.g., stock clips shown on your website).  

Vimeo's got some significant names associated with it (David Lynch, Roman Copploa, Vince Laforet, Morgan Spurlock) but YouTube recently announced a project involving Ridley Scott.  If that kind of thing matters.

Vimeo doesn't have a clip length limit but it does have a size limit.  Max 2GB/clip.  5GB total upload limit/week with a Plus membership (~$60/year).  

I've got stuff on both but prefer Vimeo, for whatever that's worth.

fredjeang

YouTube, Vimeo etc...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:51 am »

Thanks very much Bob and John.

Cheers.

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
Re: YouTube, Vimeo etc...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

Yeah I agree with John. Vimeo is a lot more professional although truth be told I too have videos on both :)

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:49:54 am »

The other thing that Vimeo has over YouTube is the statistics it tracks.  I'm not sure if the full stats package is available with a standard membership but it is with a Plus membership.  The embedding stats can be particularly useful.  You can see where your videos are embedded and drill down to the actual site.  You can see what comments people may be leaving outside Vimeo.  It can also give you a reasonable demographic profile of the people who are embedding and like your stuff.  This could be useful in marketing and approaching ad firms, retailers etc. with a good story about the content you can create for them, what target market you can attract and the like.

billy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:56:56 pm »

old thread but perhaps someone can answer this; if I post video on my Tumblr blog that is from a vimeo account, will the quality be better somehow? Someone told me it would but could not explain 'why'?

right now I upload approx. 5-10 mb clips, .mov files, at 720 p with h264 compression, and they look decent but not great. That said, I really dont understand all the settings when exporting / creating the file in which to upload to the blog, so I am sure there is room for improvement there. But lets say I created the perfect file in which to upload to my blog, would the vimeo version still look better?

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »

yeah, 5000 kb/s is the right setting. Vimeo recommends it, so as ExposureRoom

billy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:08 pm »

5-10MB clips but how long are they, minutes/secs?

I find a 5 minute 720p video to Vimeo can be ~200MB, so 5-10MB would be about 15 seconds to maintain very nice quality. While h.264, 720p, and more are important factors to video format, quality comes from the bitrate which generally is good around 5000 kb/s for Vimeo. Certainly not set in stone, but much lower bitrates leads to low quality looking video.

they are about 2-3 seconds. I am creating 'moving pictures' , not themed movies etc.

thanks for the bitrate info, I will apply.

how about that first question I had, do things look better if played thru Vimeo, even if I upload the same exact file? It doesnt make sense but someone is telling me that is true.

AvidVisionary

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:39:08 am »

Actually, youtube allows 15 mins of HD video.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:49:38 pm »

I have used 5k for my YouTube channels for years as well with excellent results.  You can also get the 15 minute limit lifted after a little use and put up things like my hour long printer video.

If SEO is important it's no contest, YouTube is the #2 search engine behind Google and directly helps and SEO to your main website if you link them as well.  Vimeo is popular for those that are skirting copyrights, YouTube is very strict.  YouTube also has direct Google ads if you want them through AdSense.

Robert Moore

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »

others as good ...

Fred,

That question centers on aesthetics as much as it does hosting, exposure to markets, etc.

I have recently moved a bunch of stuff to Zenfolio for my own use. When you have time look
at the Video gallery....

http://robertemoorephoto.com/

Nothing there is copyright kosher at present...but not a commercial site and I do not share
it for the most part. I will probably repost "Silent Film" content only very soon.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:57:15 pm by Robert Moore »

fredjeang

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 04:26:13 pm »

Fred,

That question centers on aesthetics as much as it does hosting, exposure to markets, etc.

I have recently moved a bunch of stuff to Zenfolio for my own use. When you have time look
at the Video gallery....

http://robertemoorephoto.com/

Nothing there is copyright kosher at present...but not a commercial site and I do not share
it for the most part. I will probably repost "Silent Film" content only very soon.

Bob

You've got a reporter soul IMO. Keep going, there are good stuff, some of them in the Magnum spirit.

The site, minimalist designed is good because it enhance the content and no fancy backgrounds.

Zenfolio is not bad at all.

Best luck.

Robert Moore

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »

Fred,

Thank you thank you thank you...now don't tell anyone...this is a side of me I usually do not share.

I do appreciate your accolades.

And of the options Zenfolio works as it is not exorbitantly priced.

Best regards,

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up