Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Video Card ATI 4350 interfering with CS5 PS  (Read 1740 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Second Video Card ATI 4350 interfering with CS5 PS
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »

the ASUS ATI 4350 which I want to use strictly for running my HDTV to watch while I work.. then CS5 won't boot.  Actually CS5 x32 won't boot, but CS5 x64 boots and then tells me there's a problem with my video card and/or drive.

Is there a way to designate the 4350 card ONLY for the HDTV and HDMI output?  Or to set something on CS5 PS so it will only use the ATI 5970 card?

Or, is there a inexpensive ATI single slide native HDMI passive cooling card that will allow CS5 PS to work?

I could put a larger more powerful 5770 card in the second PCIe slot on my motherboard and it will work.. but then it's too close to the new 5970 card which will cause heat issues (the top card (which is the 5970) will then run 25-30c hotter than without the 5770 card right under it.   The 5770 card cannot go in my 3rd PCIe slot because there's not enough physical room for a dual width card.   A single slot native HDMI passively cooled card WILL fit in the third slot allowing the bog card room to breath..

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »

Check out BlackMagic Design's Intensity
Recommended

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:39:21 am »

Quote from: Chris Sanderson
Check out BlackMagic Design's Intensity
Recommended
Interesting products.. but are you suggesting I replace the 4350 card I'm using now for HDMI and replace it with one of their products?  And considering this is only for viewing on an HDTV 50" plasma for softproofing.. which one would you recommend?

The 5970 card is wonderful for Photoshop, C1pro, and Lightroom.. I had two 5770 cards before and the 5970 card improves performance significantly.. dramatically when you're talking rendering video. (don't do much of that though).. But Photoshop CS5 won't run with unless I disable the 4350 HDMI card in the device manager.

Seems there should be some sort of registry entry or some other software voodoo that should work.. or maybe a 4550 card as my shop will let me exchange it for a few dollars more..

Isn't there a way to edit a CS5 file to push it towards a certain video card if you have more than one?  Or if it were a more intelligent program use the video card driving the monitors you're selecting..

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:48:13 am »

Problem solved.

Adobe says for CS5.. "If you must use more than one card, two of the same are recommended or.... "

Two 5970 cards.. one just to run a tv was crazy overkill.. it's overkill for just one of these cards..

Some research reveals the major compatibility issues with video cards are type of memory (ddr2 vs. ddr3), shader specs, Open GL version, and some other smaller things.

I visited my local Bangkok computer store and went home with the 6 single slot, passively cooled, native HDMI, 7.1 channel, cards they had.. 4350-4670 cards..

A 4550 card had all the matching specs.. and it worked.. mission solved.  I'll return the other cards tomorrow.

It's interesting to note that only Adobe products had issues with the original cards.. and besides for FastPictureViewer it was the only program suite I know uses the OpenGL or more than the standard graphics features.  

Maybe this is an issue we just have to deal with..
Pages: [1]   Go Up