Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Pros released  (Read 16508 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 04:16:19 pm »

Quote from: Fritzer
...something's got to give.

Yep, the Lu-La pocket book did - for that 2nd machine

Phil Indeblanc

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 02:42:58 am »

Quote from: kers
The main problem with photoshop 12 is the PSD format I guess- Opening and saving still uses one core.

It is rather silly to see photoshop saving again the 1 GIG file while you know you only changed some metadata ….

I think you nailed PS biggest problem. This is MY biggest problem with the program. I thnk it is such a core issue, I can't see why so many others are not pulling hairs over this?

I know what you're thinking..."Save as a layered TIF".  I myself like to be able to distinguish my layer files from my TIF finals. And I do this for work meaning, I need to find it fast without getting confused. So I have file types help me, and making a flat tif and a layer tif is not practical when you have over 100 folders you jump in and out of to edit for clients daily.  READ/WRITE is the BIGGEST issue.  Now the PSD single core and the drive writing is a MAJOR issue.  My harddrives claim over 3GB sec R/W burst and 106MB/s sustained.....If I time it, its likely ALWAYS the sustained rate!!!!  How do we make this right?  We have UDMA CF cards that have finally been fast enough to clear buffers, why cant we get the files to save any faster? What harddrive can someone buy , say around $200 for minimum 1TB (thats more than 2x the price of a average drive) that can move some data?!...without Raid0, ssd obviously not an option for save/storage)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:32 am »

Quote from: Fritzer
No offence, but you must be kidding. Running a multi-core aware program, and keep using other power hungry apps at the same time ?
It's like doing squats while riding a bike uphill - something's got to give.

So we should expect to have a seperate system for CS5, C1, a DAM like ACDSee  or what ever you like as a DAM, and say another for Acrobat, and Illustrator, and InDesign?
I alway need 3 of the above on...ACDSee, CS5 and C1 are constant. Usually Acrobat Pro, and often InDesign.  Is InDesign hungry? Acrobat? Helicon? ACDSee?

I already have a seperate print "server" computer running the RIP to print, and double tasking doing emails, QuicBooks and Acrobat. then I have the tether to Digi back capture computer, then the G5 just sitting idle so I look cool to a Rachel Zoe Director that doesnt know any better, and another for web, TV, music. And another for the manager to use QBooks, MS Office, Acrobat, web, ACDSee. and all systems have Acronis, Acrobat CS4/5, ACDSee, and likely a couple other things.

What else do we NEED to isolate to get things to move FAST?  I think its the hard drives that are slow to read and write PSD or even TIF files....thats the bottle neck in most systems I would say.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:45 am »

I agree with the reading & writing being the current bottle neck. I am anxiously awaiting the moment SSD drive prices come out of the stratosphere. My 2009 MacPro handles everything mentioned above with 2 fingers in its nose figuratively speaking. The only times it slows down significantly is when it need to read and write a lot of stuff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:17:52 am by Dustbak »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 05:29:10 am »

I can only speak about my Windows Workstation. ( two Intel Xeons at 3ghz, 48gb RAM and so on. ) the gerat Thing is that i can do man Things at the Same Time. Let Ptgui work on panoramics, let C1 convert RAW Files and sort through Images in lightroom.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Phil Indeblanc

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34:50 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
I agree with the reading & writing being the current bottle neck. I am anxiously awaiting the moment SSD drive prices come out of the stratosphere. My 2009 MacPro handles everything mentioned above with 2 fingers in its nose figuratively speaking. The only times it slows down significantly is when it need to read and write a lot of stuff.

SSD in the normal world is not good for storage, size and being flash..Now Tex Inst has a TMS RAMSAN 630 or other models that DO look amazinf...but I have not heard any prices.

kers

• Pieter Kers
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 05:52:51 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
SSD in the normal world is not good for storage, size and being flash..Now Tex Inst has a TMS RAMSAN 630 or other models that DO look amazinf...but I have not heard any prices.

I think even if you have very fast storage- the problem is still  the CPU usage when saving a file-( psd format )  for the unelegant way it seems to compress each layer LZW -one by one ( at least it looks like it works like that)

Is that the reason you use- uncompressed- layered tiffs?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Phil Indeblanc

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:38 am »

Quote from: kers
I think even if you have very fast storage- the problem is still  the CPU usage when saving a file-( psd format )  for the unelegant way it seems to compress each layer LZW -one by one ( at least it looks like it works like that)

Is that the reason you use- uncompressed- layered tiffs?

I sometimes do as I get more frustrated...But 90% I dont, as that is how I know my flat finals vs my layered files, and it would be a PAIN to convert over 4000 or more files to TIF layered and then the flat finals into PDF...as thats the only other format I know that is flexible and uncompressed
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up