Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Pros released  (Read 16506 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
New Mac Pros released
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:00 am »

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/07/27/new-mac-pros-2/

Don't get confused: the new Mac Pros have been announced and specs and pricing have been posted, but they are NOT yet available for purchase in the Apple Online Store.

Specs & Info

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:32:59 am by dougpetersonci »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:08 am »

Hmmm. No USB3, no FW1600. No real innovation here. Kinda surprised.

2xDisplay Port plus 1xDualDVI port is pretty cool though. You can run a 30" in the center and two 24" vertical to each side without the need for an additional graphics card.

kers

• Pieter Kers
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:53 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

2xDisplay Port plus 1xDualDVI port is pretty cool though. You can run a 30" in the center and two 24" vertical to each side without the need for an additional graphics card.

If I buy the graphic card and put it in my 2008 macpro - I am about at the same level-
better spend money on SSD and RAM I think.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Frank Doorhof

• http://
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

I'm now running a 2008 mac pro with the fast ATI3870, 8 core 2.8, 10GB
It seems that if I really want to boost my speed I have to go to the 12 core, price wise I wonder if I really find that interesting seeing the speed my "old" 8 core is still running.

fredjeang

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:11 pm »

That is why now I upgrade 1 time each 3 manufacturer magical upgrade.
For example, I run currently Photoshop CS4, so my next upgrade will be CS7. I would ignore CS5 and 6.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang

That is why now I upgrade 1 time each 3 manufacturer magical upgrade.
For example, I run currently Photoshop CS4, so my next upgrade will be CS7. I would ignore CS5 and 6.

If you are on Mac you are really missing out on CS5 compared to CS4.. I find the upgrade kind of meager as well, especially considering the price hike. I do like to put a 5870 in my 2009 MacPro  (a flashed one that is  ).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:56:48 pm by Dustbak »

fredjeang

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:53 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
If you are on Mac you are really missing out on CS5 compared to CS4.. I find the upgrade kind of meager as well, especially considering the price hike. I do like to put a 5870 in my 2009 MacPro  (a flashed one that is  ).
Yes. The problem of my system is that it is completly lucky. I might want to be flexible and go for the best updates.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:09:21 pm by fredjeang »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »

Well it's about damn time.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

Yup, it would seem that my 3+ years old Mac Pro will be enjoying another year+ of hard work. Replacing my boot raptor by an OWC 200 GB SSD a few months ago was probably the right move. Once again improvrements in the performance of pano software like PT Gui or Autopano pro are showing much larger real world benefits compared to another lukewarm Mac Pro generation change.

It should be pretty clear by now that the engineering invested by Apple in the Mac Pro line has gone down very significantly. I wasn't too serious about this until today, but it looks like I might have to consider very seriously a move back to Windows platform next year. I have been using Win7 on a SSD in my work laptop for 3 months now and it just rocks. It appears that Apple is not interested anymore in keeping their monopolistic hardware close to the fore front at reasonnable prices.

Disapointing.

Cheers,
Bernard

jduncan

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:04 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Yup, it would seem that my 3+ years old Mac Pro will be enjoying another year+ of hard work. Replacing my boot raptor by an OWC 200 GB SSD a few months ago was probably the right move. Once again improvrements in the performance of pano software like PT Gui or Autopano pro are showing much larger real world benefits compared to another lukewarm Mac Pro generation change.

It should be pretty clear by now that the engineering invested by Apple in the Mac Pro line has gone down very significantly. I wasn't too serious about this until today, but it looks like I might have to consider very seriously a move back to Windows platform next year. I have been using Win7 on a SSD in my work laptop for 3 months now and it just rocks. It appears that Apple is not interested anymore in keeping their monopolistic hardware close to the fore front at reasonnable prices.

Disapointing.

Cheers,
Bernard
I believe that the problem is that, with respect to PCs Apple is just an other intel reselling company.  The days of surprises / innovation are over.  I hope AMD don't die any time soon because the lack of innovation will be even greater.  Intel basically controls the PC market. They have the sight on killing Power7 and Spark. Nehalem EX it's great to run throughput  jobs.  For the ones that don't use the Mac Pros, on the other hand,  the upgrades are interesting.  The 27" know have support for 2 drives an SSD and a HD,together  with the new 27" display (glossy only) it will make for a interesting premium costumer iMAC.
english is not my first language, an I k

CBarrett

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »

I need a tower.  The 17" MBP I got a few weeks ago handles the big files decently, with a 10k RPM eSATA scratch disk, but I could really use more, especially since I'm playing with video now.  I just can't do the Windows environment.  Bad design makes me angry and unproductive.  I'm anxious to take the plunge, no matter how paltry the improvements.  I'm sure Doug will be able to make it scream too!

I'm all in.

-CB

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »

For me the most exciting thing is the battery charger and the new AA cells.

Followed by the possibility to finally upgrade my graphics card with something that isn't prehistoric.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:18:28 pm by Dustbak »

arashm

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:51 am »

For me the most exciting thing is the battery charger and the new AA cells.

Followed by the possibility to finally upgrade my graphics card with something that isn't prehistoric.

^
Ha ha
and I thought I was the only one who looked at the battery charger and thought "instant purchase"

am

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:49:27 am »

Quote from: jduncan
I believe that the problem is that, with respect to PCs Apple is just an other intel reselling company.  The days of surprises / innovation are over.

Yep, but Apple would still have had the freedom to go far beyond what they have achieved.

The Mac Pro looks more and more like another ODM solution with more and more standard components. The R&D investement on this generation of Mac pro appears to be very low.

Cheers,
Bernard

Frank Doorhof

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 02:36:15 am »

On the other hand, the 8 core I'm running now (2008) is so fast that I also don't feel the need to upgrade.
Switching back to windows ?
Ok, and how about for example final cut pro ?
As soon as windows runs all the programs the same way a mac does and has the same multitasking options and looses the registry maybe.

On the other hand, when I was on the PC platform (I only switched in 2008) I needed to install windows every 4-5 months because it was getting slower.
When a program crashed the whole PC needed to be rebooted.

Going to the mac at that time was an incredible speed boost (8 core macpro), over the last two years windows caught up a bit, but you would need a dual CPU board to get real 8 core or 12 core performance like the macpro I'm running now and that drives up the costs and driver problems a lot.

I think I will inform what my 2008Macpro has for trade in value, my wife owns a PC/Mac store and the company that she buys the macs from does some great trade ins.
Maybe I shelf out 2000.00 euros for the 12 core, I don't see me upgrading to an 8 core again.
It runs flawless and fast, so I don't really NEED an upgrade unless it's indeed a lot faster.

On software.
I always upgrade to the newest versions as soon as possible, there is always enough there to give me satisfaction.
With CS5 for example the speed has improved, and content aware fill is very handy.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:28 am »

Yes CS5 is much better. If only for the usage of my memory. Annoying to see I have 24gb and most of it sitting idle while PS is doing a batch job. Much better in CS5. Content Aware with spot healing is a big time saver as well. CS5 also utilizes multiple cores much better, many operations in CS4 were only able to use 1 core! Having 8-cores (16 since there are 8 virtual ones) and seeing 7 of them picking there nose is discouraging to say the least. Imagine having 12

I wait a couple of generations with upgrading. The first thing I will be upgrading is my drives when SSD's are coming way down in price. My MBP is rocking because of the SSD, imagine a stripe set of 3 or more SSD's

Frank Doorhof

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 03:56:22 am »

Yes CS5 is much better. If only for the usage of my memory. Annoying to see I have 24gb and most of it sitting idle while PS is doing a batch job. Much better in CS5. Content Aware with spot healing is a big time saver as well. CS5 also utilizes multiple cores much better, many operations in CS4 were only able to use 1 core! Having 8-cores (16 since there are 8 virtual ones) and seeing 7 of them picking there nose is discouraging to say the least. Imagine having 12

I wait a couple of generations with upgrading. The first thing I will be upgrading is my drives when SSD's are coming way down in price. My MBP is rocking because of the SSD, imagine a stripe set of 3 or more SSD's
Just surious I'm always using the MBP on location and in the studio for capture with LC and Capture One.
With the i7 and 7200rpm it's a lot faster than my duocore MBP last generation.
If I add the SSD can it be placed next to the drive, in other words I don't want to loose my internal drive.
There are some SSD's that can be placed in the expresscard slot but will those also speed everything up.

On the other hand, booting doesn't bother me and when I capture I will probably not store it on a SSD but on the 7200rpm anyway so will there be any advantage ?

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:20 am »

I cant see when the should be available I cant even pre-order it?

I currently have two MBPro's both have 500gb 7200rpm drives in there which the operating system sits on. One has another 500gb 7200 drive where the super drive used to sit and the other has a 120gb ssd. Obviously the ssd is faster and when I upgrade to a i7 (next rev.) I'll put in atleast 200gb ssd into the dvd space. I never burn dvd's and if I need to the external one is just as fast. I found an alternative to the optibay online that is easy enough to install.

I also did the same thing to a 27quad iMac but that was a pain to do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:04:13 am by Rick_Allen »
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

francois

New Mac Pros released
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:48 am »

Quote from: Rick_Allen
I cant see when the should be available I cant even pre-order it?
The Apple Store in Switzerland only says "August"…
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:54:28 am by francois »
Francois

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
New Mac Pros released
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:04 am »

So November/Dec in Oz. Might jump on a plane to LA with my tenba. :-)
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up