Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ireland  (Read 4596 times)

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
ireland
« on: March 19, 2005, 03:26:12 pm »

*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

Concorde-SST

ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 02:17:55 pm »

Aran Islands, the west coast (Galway area) and elsewhere in the
north -

Ireland is just a fantastic country - just be darn sure to bring
the best raingear you have!!

Andreas.

michael g. o'callaghan

ireland
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:58:59 am »

SLEA HEAD AT THE WEST END OF THE DINGLE PENINSULA IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!  i spend two weeks or so in SW Ireland a couple summers ago.  ALSO i really like the Burrens area based out of Doolin.  

Viv

ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:59:53 pm »

I know this may be a little late for your trip, but in case anyone else has the same thought, I spend just over a week in Ireland, I arrived at Shannon Airport and then travelled North to Galway taking pictures all the way, then rode a horse from Clifden back to Galway, then back to Shannon and home. I was there in very early May - and apart from one day of rain - the weather was warm and sunny.

Points of note:-
Bunratty Castle, and Folk Park. Lovely castle; the folk park is worth a visit if you want to capture shots of "ye old" Irish shops including a working corn mill. It is a great recreation of rural Ireland of 100 years ago.

Heading more north - via Listoonvarna, there is an amazing landscape called "The Burren". It is a hugh area of limestone pavement, where glaciation, wind and rain erosion has formed deep crevices. The flaura tends to be small - hiding in these crevices, but there is quite a varierty of it; a mixture of alpine and mediteranean plants, including purple orchids. In the middle of the Burren you will find the "Poulnabrone Dolmen", an ancient tomb dating back to 2000BC. It consists of several upright slabs of rock - and an even bigger slab of rock for a roof.

I spent a few happy evenings climbing over the Burren near Ballyvaughan getting some sunset shots over the water.

Since the area is very rocky, the farmers fields have been bounded by stone walls, with the stones being taken from the fields. This means there lots of small fields and alot of old stone walls !

Also in the same area are the Cliffs of Moher - 200m high cliffs, where many sea birds nest.

The churchyard in Kilfenora has some lovely high crosses.

Doolin and Ballyvaughn are quaint villages. Doolin is well known for the folk music scene.

The scenery from Clifden to Galway is excellent, hilly rather than mountainous. It is similar to some areas of the West Coast of Scotland. Roundstone is lovely village where they make traditional Bodhran - the irish drum; and the coastal scenery excellent, some lovely sandy beaches, and rocky shore line.

I hope that your trip went well, and that anyone else planning a trip finds this useful.

Viv

Joja

• http://www.johanjanssens.com/
ireland
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:17:06 pm »

next week im gone go to ireland. im searching for beautifull arreas, mainly mountains, cliffs and beaches to photograph. does anyone has advice ?
------------------------------------

Joja

ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 11:32:31 am »

thanks! must have overlooked that one.. :-(

Joja

ireland
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 06:35:32 pm »

youll can be shure that ill bring my goretex with me ;-)

now i remember again why i bought an orthlieb camerabag 5 years ago when i went to the highlands ...
my camera was the only thing what was still dry after a two week hike through the highlands!

Viv

ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 02:58:51 pm »

I know this may be a little late for your trip, but in case anyone else has the same thought, I spend just over a week in Ireland, I arrived at Shannon Airport and then travelled North to Galway taking pictures all the way, then rode a horse from Clifden back to Galway, then back to Shannon and home. I was there in very early May - and apart from one day of rain - the weather was warm and sunny.

Points of note:-
Bunratty Castle, and Folk Park. Lovely castle; the folk park is worth a visit if you want to capture shots of "ye old" Irish shops including a working corn mill. It is a great recreation of rural Ireland of 100 years ago.

Heading more north - via Listoonvarna, there is an amazing landscape called "The Burren". It is a hugh area of limestone pavement, where glaciation, wind and rain erosion has formed deep crevices. The flaura tends to be small - hiding in these crevices, but there is quite a varierty of it; a mixture of alpine and mediteranean plants, including purple orchids. In the middle of the Burren you will find the "Poulnabrone Dolmen", an ancient tomb dating back to 2000BC. It consists of several upright slabs of rock - and an even bigger slab of rock for a roof.

I spent a few happy evenings climbing over the Burren near Ballyvaughan getting some sunset shots over the water.

Since the area is very rocky, the farmers fields have been bounded by stone walls, with the stones being taken from the fields. This means there lots of small fields and alot of old stone walls !

Also in the same area are the Cliffs of Moher - 200m high cliffs, where many sea birds nest.

The churchyard in Kilfenora has some lovely high crosses.

Doolin and Ballyvaughn are quaint villages. Doolin is well known for the folk music scene.

The scenery from Clifden to Galway is excellent, hilly rather than mountainous. It is similar to some areas of the West Coast of Scotland. Roundstone is lovely village where they make traditional Bodhran - the irish drum; and the coastal scenery excellent, some lovely sandy beaches, and rocky shore line.

I hope that your trip went well, and that anyone else planning a trip finds this useful.

Viv

Pages: [1]   Go Up