Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF and LF: Their time is a coming!  (Read 13588 times)

sojournerphoto

MF and LF: Their time is a coming!
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 06:24:53 pm »

Quote from: Ray

I place a high premium on the usefulness and flexibility of my camera systems, which is why I'm not particularly enthusiastic about large format digital. If some manufacturer were to produce a very affordable 40mp, 6cm x 7cm sensor that fitted my RB67, I probably wouldn't be terribly excited because I can't see myself lugging around all that heavy equipment. However, if I were to do most of my photography in a studio, that would be a different matter.

There we are in agreement - I use a mamiya 7 for medium format, which is considerably more portable and handholdable than an RB or RZ. My primary concern with any gear change now seems to be about whether I'll want to carry it and hence use it...

Mike

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:38 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
well, it is true that some people are working on an open source camera and sensors.

I'm thinking of a GREAT apportation: Lu-La has many real scientific members.
Instead of fighting in the forum with endless technical topics and sending us those obscur graphics and equations that only you understand,

Why don't you join your forces and work on an open source 50MP digital camera back?

I'm talking seriously.

i kind of like this idea. i trained in VLSI design - 25 years ago
But i think an Lcd mod will only yield a vga back

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:38:54 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

pcunite

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:26 pm »

Quote from: Ray
I place a high premium on the usefulness and flexibility of my camera systems, which is why I'm not particularly enthusiastic about large format digital. If some manufacturer were to produce a very affordable 40mp, 6cm x 7cm sensor that fitted my RB67, I probably wouldn't be terribly excited because I can't see myself lugging around all that heavy equipment. However, if I were to do most of my photography in a studio, that would be a different matter.

This is so where I am at now. I am getting such great imagery from my 35mm system right now I just don't care about improvements that MFD offers because of the workflow that goes with it.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 03:54:12 am »

Quote from: sojournerphoto
There we are in agreement - I use a mamiya 7 for medium format, which is considerably more portable and handholdable than an RB or RZ. My primary concern with any gear change now seems to be about whether I'll want to carry it and hence use it...

Mike

Mike, you are not alone.

Ever since hanging up the saddle - or finding I'd misplaced it somewhere - I have ben through the same sort of diminishing enthusiam for carting stuff around that might be best left at home.

I found the D200 rather more weighty than I was happy to take walkies and then the D700 even worse. I suspect that therein lies the appeal of the M6 -style machine. The problem is that when you sally forth to shoot commercially, your mind is on the job; when you summon up the courage (enthusiasm?) to take a camera out for 'fun' you face different personal pressures, not least of which is motivation/discomfort triangulation with its apex at the 'maybe' aspect of any pay-off for all the effort.

And the more time passes, the worse the struggle. Perhaps that's why photography forums make such fine alternative exercise.

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 08:58:30 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Mike, you are not alone.

Ever since hanging up the saddle - or finding I'd misplaced it somewhere - I have ben through the same sort of diminishing enthusiam for carting stuff around that might be best left at home.

And the more time passes, the worse the struggle. Perhaps that's why photography forums make such fine alternative exercise.

Rob C

This man is funny - he oughta have been a writer

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

A nice thought, it would be nice to have a camera I can use my 12inch Kodak Portrait lens on, other than my 5x7 of course.
Not sure I  will be alive to see it happen.

Kevin.
Kevin.

ondebanks

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:20 am »

Quote from: yaya
See more here

They're talking excitedly about putting FF-35mm and even 22MP MF sensors in a Holga and selling it for $300. Oh dear.

I'm so tempted to point out the bleedin' obvious flaw...Open Source is great for software and firmware but sensor hardware actually needs to be paid for. But it would be a shame to prick their bubble of naiivety. Their little hearts would burst with grief.  

BJL

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 04:22:56 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
I'm so tempted to point out the bleedin' obvious flaw...Open Source is great for software and firmware but sensor hardware actually needs to be paid for.
Yes indeed: just like the fact that all that wonderful open source Linux software needs to run on proprietary processors, and for the average home user only reduces the total cost of a working computer by 10% to 20% (The open source cost benefit is far greater for heavy duty users like my parallel computing colleagues, who get gouged far more on proprietary software licensing).

A major issue, often glossed over, is the issue the cost of larger than mainstream sensors, and in particular the large R&D costs that must be spread over a relatively small sales volume (compared to say the 10,000/month stated by Nikon for the for the D3, or the 70,000/month of the Nikon D300, and far more for various less expensive DSLRs). The scary bit is that MF sensors would probably have to cost a lot more than they currently do if Kodak and Dalsa had to defray all the related R&D costs over just sales for MF cameras and backs, instead of also selling the same core technology in a far larger number of sensors for medical, engineering, scientific and military customers.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2010, 01:34:49 am »

Quote from: BJL
The scary bit is that MF sensors would probably have to cost a lot more than they currently do if Kodak and Dalsa had to defray all the related R&D costs over just sales for MF cameras and backs, instead of also selling the same core technology in a far larger number of sensors for medical, engineering, scientific and military customers.

Don't forget that many, many digital backs and cameras are being sold and used in medical, engineering, scientific, military and other industrial applications, which not only benefits the MF manufacturers but also the sensor manufacturers...

Naturally, these customers do not come on photographic forums:-)

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 02:21:27 am »

Quote from: yaya
Don't forget that many, many digital backs and cameras are being sold and used in medical, engineering, scientific, military and other industrial applications, which not only benefits the MF manufacturers but also the sensor manufacturers...

I guess those a benefiting by price paid, not by quantity ordered... Pentax claims 500 units of 645D a month, I somehow doubt that "medical, engineering, scientific, military and other industrial applications" come anywhere close numberwise...

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2010, 02:52:44 am »

Quote from: deja
I guess those a benefiting by price paid, not by quantity ordered... Pentax claims 500 units of 645D a month, I somehow doubt that "medical, engineering, scientific, military and other industrial applications" come anywhere close numberwise...

I don't know if 500 is a real number or not but if it is then that's great as it means 500 40MP Kodak sensors ordered/ delivered every month!
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up