Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 30" monitor out there??  (Read 21212 times)

SteveKravitz

Best 30" monitor out there??
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:11 am »

I'm looking at the following:

1) HP ZR30w: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-4194577.html

2) HP LP3065: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-3297215.html

3) Dell 3007WFP-HC: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=222-7175

4) LG W3000H-Bn: http://www.lg.com/us/computer-produc...tor-W3000H.jsp

Trying to stay in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

I'm unclear on the technology, but it looks like the ZR30w is H-IPS, while the W3000H, Dell 3007WFP, and HP LP3065 are S-IPS.

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of any of these monitors?

Info on the panels: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.p...S&select=panel

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:40:17 am »

Quote from: SteveKravitz
Trying to stay in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

Do you want the best 30" monitor or the cheapest?  

IMHO, the best 30" *FOR THE MONEY* is the NEC Spectraview, but it overshoots your budget by ~ 30%
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

SteveKravitz

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:26 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher

IMHO, the best 30" *FOR THE MONEY* is the NEC Spectraview, but it overshoots your budget by ~ 30%

Okay, point taken.  Let me rephrase that - the best 30" monitor in the $1000 to $1500 range.  

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:30:16 am »

Okay, point taken.  Let me rephrase that - the best 30" monitor in the $1000 to $1500 range.  
I reckon my answer is the same as Jacks.. $1000-$1500 is already a considerable investment.. might as well get a product you'll truly enjoy and will do the job adequately.  Even if you have to wait a bit longer to get it..    

Of course I'm assuming you want this for imaging and will want it properly color profiled?  For game playing there are different requirements.

I'm saying this as the thrifty guy I am concerning such things.  My last pair of monitors were with me over seven years and I really had to squeeze my wallet hard to come up with the cash for two NEC Spectraview LCD2690uxi2's.. especially at prices over here..

Which brings up another point.. color profiling.  There 'can' be a bunch of issues using your existing color profiling device and software so you might need to budget for this aspect of things as well.. and the "SV" version of the NEC gives you the best possible combination of hardware/software for profiling at a reasonable "sold as a kit and included" price.  

There's also an included 4 year warranty.. if that's more than the others you listed how much is the extra year or three worth to you?

Sorry to stick my nose in.. money is always a sensitive subject and I understand budgets.. but though this be worth a bit of emphasis.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06:46 pm »

Quote from: Steve Weldon
I reckon my answer is the same as Jacks.. $1000-$1500 is already a considerable investment.. might as well get a product you'll truly enjoy and will do the job adequately.  Even if you have to wait a bit longer to get it..    

Of course I'm assuming you want this for imaging and will want it properly color profiled?  For game playing there are different requirements.

I'm saying this as the thrifty guy I am concerning such things.  My last pair of monitors were with me over seven years and I really had to squeeze my wallet hard to come up with the cash for two NEC Spectraview LCD2690uxi2's.. especially at prices over here..

Sorry to stick my nose in.. money is always a sensitive subject and I understand budgets.. but though this be worth a bit of emphasis.
I second these thoughts.  I have the NEC 3090.  I already had a colorimeter, so I bought the Spectraview profiling software separately.  After using the 3090 for a couple of years, my recommendation would be that if you can't budget for the $1800 or so that it is at B&H or Provantage, then go with the NEC 2690.  I'd rather give up the size and get the higher quality if my budget really could not support the 30" monitor.

Mine really could not, but I bit the bullet and did it anyway.  Now, 2 years later, it doesn't hurt anymore.

dseelig

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:01:37 am »

I just bought an apple 30 inch monitor refurbed by apple, got on the apple website. . I love it. it was just under 1400 shipped.

stevesanacore

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:49:05 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher

I know the NEC has a great reputation but I thought HP has a brand new monitor with 30bit color?

PALO ALTO, Calif., June 1, 2010 – HP today announced its first 30-inch monitor to display a range of more than 1 billion colors, the HP ZR30w S-IPS LCD Display.

Does anyone know how this monitor compares to the NEC or an EIZO?  I am presently looking for a 30" and saw this today on Gizmodo.

We don't know what we don't know.

SteveKravitz

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:14 am »

Quote from: stevesanacore
I know the NEC has a great reputation but I thought HP has a brand new monitor with 30bit color?

PALO ALTO, Calif., June 1, 2010 – HP today announced its first 30-inch monitor to display a range of more than 1 billion colors, the HP ZR30w S-IPS LCD Display.

Does anyone know how this monitor compares to the NEC or an EIZO?  I am presently looking for a 30" and saw this today on Gizmodo.
Uh, look at my #1) link in my OP...

degrub

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:48:40 am »

Uh, look at my #1) link in my OP...

dead link

Frank

Brad Proctor

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:30:39 am »

Quote from: degrub
dead link

Frank

here it is
Brad Proctor

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:30 am »

But even if its 30-bit, without software and a good instrument to take advantage of that data, what’s the point?

This is why so many of us recommend the NEC SpectraView II. When you look at the cost of it, its software and a supported bundled instrument, its actually quite a good deal.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

stevesanacore

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:31 am »

The question isn't if the NEC is good or great, we know it's great. The question is if the new HP may be newer technology with an even larger color space. While we are on the subject, how does the NEC compare with the EIZO monitors? I am not talking cost, but performance. I would really love to have a monitor that shows me exactly what I or my clients will get when they print my images.  I am using an Epson 9800 and have been fairly happy with my results using my Apple 23" Cinema Display, but I know it could be much more accurate with a new EIZO or NEC equivalent. And I wonder if anyone has tried the new HP yet?

Is this the model everyone is recommending?

NEC MultiSync 3090W-BK-SV 30" Widescreen LCD Display with Color Calibrator

We don't know what we don't know.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 11:47:33 am »

The question isn't if the NEC is good or great, we know it's great. The question is if the new HP may be newer technology with an even larger color space.

The size of the color space is kind of meaningless. Yes, its nice to have an extended gamut display. But like the bogus contrast ratio settings, or the spec’s for how high a display can produce cd/m2, its not useful for the work we do. Having a reference display, one that can be calibrated consistently and to a precise manner is far more important.

I’ve yet to see anything that has proven to me that the Eizo warrants the extra money over the NEC. I’m not saying Eizo doesn’t make a great product. It may be just as good as the NEC, it might be better but the later nor the excessive difference in price has at yet been proven to me. I’m all ears however.

The 3090W-BK-SV 30" Widescreen LCD Display with Color Calibrator is exactly the product some of us are recommending at this time.

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:13:11 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
The size of the color space is kind of meaningless. Yes, its nice to have an extended gamut display. But like the bogus contrast ratio settings, or the spec’s for how high a display can produce cd/m2, its not useful for the work we do. Having a reference display, one that can be calibrated consistently and to a precise manner is far more important.

I’ve yet to see anything that has proven to me that the Eizo warrants the extra money over the NEC. I’m not saying Eizo doesn’t make a great product. It may be just as good as the NEC, it might be better but the later nor the excessive difference in price has at yet been proven to me. I’m all ears however.

The 3090W-BK-SV 30" Widescreen LCD Display with Color Calibrator is exactly the product some of us are recommending at this time.

is that one of the new PA series or is it older, if older is the PA series any better?  

By the way half way through your book, most enjoyable, well I am a masochist!  Surely to get the best similarity with screen and print then both the printer and screen should have gamuts that encompass similar ranges then with the right control of the screen you should be able to get the screen image to look pretty much the same as the print (I understand the issue of reflective vs emmissive, I think).  It is thus now down to the graphics card or inbuilt electronics in the screen to provide the differences between screen types, after all most of the screens are manufactured in the same plant, are they not.  It's the differences in control electronics that then define the differences between the screens...  Is their any difference in the in-built hardware/software between the Eizo, NEC and HPs?
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:34 am »

Quote from: TimBarker
is that one of the new PA series or is it older, if older is the PA series any better?

The newer PA 30” isn’t out yet. That should be a juicy system.

Surely to get the best similarity with screen and print then both the printer and screen should have gamuts that encompass similar ranges then with the right control of the screen you should be able to get the screen image to look pretty much the same as the print (I understand the issue of reflective vs emmissive, I think).

The print gamut of so many modern printers, and the gamut of a useful working space for those of us working in raw is so much wider than even the widest gamut display.

Ray

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:25 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
The newer PA 30” isn’t out yet. That should be a juicy system.

The print gamut of so many modern printers, and the gamut of a useful working space for those of us working in raw is so much wider than even the widest gamut display.

Thanks for clearing that up. In Australia the NEC 30" is described as a multisync monitor with 12 bit gamma and color LUTs. The largest NEC PA is a 27" model with 14 bit gamma and color LUTs , but is still cheaper than the 30". I understand that both models can use the Spectraview II software for direct calibration of the monitor (bypassing the video card).

I wonder how marginal the visual difference between 12 bit and 14 bit is. A 30" monitor with a 2560x1600 resolution must be really impressive.

I think it may be time for me to upgrade from my 19" Sony CRT   .

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 09:28:39 am »

Quote from: Ray
Thanks for clearing that up. In Australia the NEC 30" is described as a multisync monitor with 12 bit gamma and color LUTs. The largest NEC PA is a 27" model with 14 bit gamma and color LUTs , but is still cheaper than the 30". I understand that both models can use the Spectraview II software for direct calibration of the monitor (bypassing the video card).

I wonder how marginal the visual difference between 12 bit and 14 bit is. A 30" monitor with a 2560x1600 resolution must be really impressive.

I think it may be time for me to upgrade from my 19" Sony CRT   .

certainly big but the 27" is 2560x1440 so it must have a finer dot pitch if the 30" has the same horizontal resolution.  Still trying to get to see an example of the 27" PA series, seems NEC here in Oz aren't interested in replying to queries on the web...  Might just have to spend more and go Eizo as I won't buy without seeing one.
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

Ray

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:12 am »

Quote from: TimBarker
certainly big but the 27" is 2560x1440 so it must have a finer dot pitch if the 30" has the same horizontal resolution.  Still trying to get to see an example of the 27" PA series, seems NEC here in Oz aren't interested in replying to queries on the web...  Might just have to spend more and go Eizo as I won't buy without seeing one.

However, the aspect ratio of the 30" is 16:10 as opposed to 16:9 for the PA 27", so vertical resolution is greater at 1600.

2560x1600 is very alluring, but I'm a rather concerned about those 12 bit LUTs. Do I need 14 bit? Can I live with 12 bit or will I become disatisfied?  

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:53:18 am »

Quote from: Ray
However, the aspect ratio of the 30" is 16:10 as opposed to 16:9 for the PA 27", so vertical resolution is greater at 1600.

2560x1600 is very alluring, but I'm a rather concerned about those 12 bit LUTs. Do I need 14 bit? Can I live with 12 bit or will I become disatisfied?  
Pardon me for saying.. but that's borderline defective thinking..

Are you thinking that just because a 14 bit LUT becomes available, every Spectraview II user will suddenly become unhappy with their monitor?

I could have waited a month and bought two PA271w's.. but I opted for the LCD2690uxi2's.   Why?  Because it's an established monitor that's making a lot of people happy.. its something I can depend on.  The PA271w will probably be better.. but we don't know that yet.. we can only look at a spec sheet and guess.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

WombatHorror

Re: Best 30" monitor out there??
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »

Well the NEC PA (at least the 24" and 26" so far, if not the 23") are supposed to actually be true 10bits, not 8bit dithered to 10bits. However, I've heard nothing much really drives them at 10bits in a practical way yet. I suppose it still might help a tiny bit since internally it could still use 10bits.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up