Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to a new digital back  (Read 3417 times)

RomainVaucher

Upgrading to a new digital back
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:02:51 am »

Hi,

I am currently using a H20 with a RZ67 II camera. But I am always more working outside. So I am considering upgrading to a new back. My only problem is.... money.

I am young and just starting as a photographer so no banks will help me. That's why I turn to you. Do not worry I do not have a paypal account that I want you to fill  

I want to upgrade my back to a more versatile back (compact flash cards is a must in this case). I also would like to upgrade the size of the sensor and the ISO if possible.

My budget is 7000 € max. if it could be under 6000, it would be a lot better ! I think a refurbished could be a good idea.

I am shooting mostly fashion and beauty. What kind of back would be a good choice in this price range ?

Thanks a lot.

Romain

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:59 am »

Hi
I suggest you buy used in that case. I would look at the P30+ or Aptus 65, both should fall in your price range and you can always sell the H20 afterwards. An Aptus 22 is also an option if you prefer a larger sensor (and can find one), it should be cheaper as well, but starts at iso25 unlike the other two I mentioned. For trade-in options I'm sure the dealers will chime in. Also, try to get a back which will work with the adapter plate you already have, replacing it would be very expensive. Good luck!
Marko

Professional

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:57 am »

Quote from: RomainVaucher
Hi,

I am currently using a H20 with a RZ67 II camera. But I am always more working outside. So I am considering upgrading to a new back. My only problem is.... money.

I am young and just starting as a photographer so no banks will help me. That's why I turn to you. Do not worry I do not have a paypal account that I want you to fill  

I want to upgrade my back to a more versatile back (compact flash cards is a must in this case). I also would like to upgrade the size of the sensor and the ISO if possible.

My budget is 7000 € max. if it could be under 6000, it would be a lot better ! I think a refurbished could be a good idea.

I am shooting mostly fashion and beauty. What kind of back would be a good choice in this price range ?

Thanks a lot.

Romain

Hey Romain,

Welcome to the forum, and MF club!

There are many offers now for Phase One and Leaf DBs, i so some offers going around 7000-9000 euro for something in 22-33mp, there are something higher and more expensive for sure, but you have to look at the promotions and see what you want and if it suit you then go for it.

I found those from another forum

Promotions 1

Leaf hot summer deals

Good luck!

Tareq

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:20:04 am »

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

Romain

Hi Romain,

+1 for the Aptus. Regarding skin tones for fashion and beauty we have always been satisfied with the Leaf solutions. Using the RZ I would try to get the bigger sensor of the Aptus 22 or 75S. (The old Aptus 22 is very sharp, but be aware of the moire for fashion use.) Working speed is very fast and the big touch screen is very comfortable. Working tethered is also a very easy workflow with Leaf Capture, ultimate control. If you are used to C1, you can use it as well, but we don´t have experience with that. Don´t think about high ISO, that´s not the place for a MF-Back.
There are many deals out there, you might even consider a trade in for a new Aptus II 5/7.

Cheers, Ulf
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:27:25 am by UlfKrentz »

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »

RZpro can be bought cheap from www.keh.com (got mine from there), lenses are also very cheap

For back, try to get a used Aptus22, or a new AptusII5
Make sure you buy the larger sensors and not the cropped ones, on the RZ even the aptus22 already has a huge crop.

RomainVaucher

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:28:46 pm »

Thanks for all your messages.

Here are some offer I got :

Aptus 65 for 8000 €
Phase One P25 for 4500 €.

Is the P25 a good choice ? It is from one of the agencies I work for so I know the back and know that everything is right about it. I never had the opportunity to use it as they only use it for back up needs. the back has 50 000 pictures made with it.

Thanks again for your help.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »

The A65 is a cropped sensor. The P25 is known to be prone to moire. This might be a big disadvantage for use in fashion. Try to find a A75, P45 or a even a CF39. All you should be able to find for around 8000Euros. The 39MP backs (the A75 is 33MP actually) are generally slower than the 22MP's but will show a lot less moire. The time this will safe you on post processing for moire removal more than makes up for the price difference of 1 to 2 K euros.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:52:04 pm by Dustbak »

RomainVaucher

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

Thanks,

I have a slow camera so a slow back is no problem  RZ67 + winder is not a fast camera

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »

Thanks for all your messages.

Here are some offer I got :

Aptus 65 for 8000 €
Phase One P25 for 4500 €.

Is the P25 a good choice ? It is from one of the agencies I work for so I know the back and know that everything is right about it. I never had the opportunity to use it as they only use it for back up needs. the back has 50 000 pictures made with it.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Romain,

For fashion work try to get a back that has around 1 second capture rate like the Aptus 22 or better the 75S (65S is very fast but has the cropped sensor, not so much fun with the RZ).
The RZ is not that slow, and not at all slow if you use it without winder. Again, be aware of the 22MP backs moire, all you hear about it is true  

Cheers, Ulf
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:20:27 pm by UlfKrentz »

Professional

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:29:23 pm »

I hope i will love my RZ now after this thread, hehehe
One day i may go same your way to get a digital back for my RZ, but for now i will use digital Hasselblad for a while and RZ for film

RomainVaucher

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

I met today with the guy from the P25. He talked to P1, and they would take my h20 back and sell me the p25 for 2500 incl. trade-in.

Is the moire really THAT bad ? Because it is really money-wise the best offer out there. and I could upgrade as soon as I get the better paying jobs.

photoshutter

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:18 pm »

I met today with the guy from the P25. He talked to P1, and they would take my h20 back and sell me the p25 for 2500 incl. trade-in.

Is the moire really THAT bad ? Because it is really money-wise the best offer out there. and I could upgrade as soon as I get the better paying jobs.
Moire the same like on the H20

Professional

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 06:48:18 pm »

What about P30+? same moire issue? if not, how much for trade in from H20?
I wish to afford at least P45+, P40+ is newer so it is more expensive i think than P45+, but both are so high still even used as i am still low budget because of my digiHassy, but i will keep my eyes on those DBs for good price but good quality at least.

RomainVaucher

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 03:20:33 pm »

Quote from: photoshutter
Moire the same like on the H20

Ok, then I think that I will buy it in the first time and keep looking for a better back after that.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up