Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: profoto batpac  (Read 3865 times)

billy

profoto batpac
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:12 am »

wondering if anyone has anything to say about it ...... would love to use it as an inverter to power strobes, laptops, hot lights

pschefz

profoto batpac
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:30 pm »

Quote from: billy
wondering if anyone has anything to say about it ...... would love to use it as an inverter to power strobes, laptops, hot lights
do yourself a favor and check out the vagabond II......I know, I know.....alien bees.....but you know what....it works...perfectly....I use it with profoto D1s.....cost is 1/4 of the profoto.....power, recycle....the same.....don't expect to run hotlights off either one of these.....unless you are fine with 5 or 10 minutes....laptop works great, haven't tried LCD screen and or printer but should not be a problem.....
the profoto price for this is a complete joke.....if you really need to spend that much money and need to run hotlights check out libertypak solutions like the little genny lg400.....
there are great small power solutions for MacBook pros as well.....everything makes more sense then these profoto rip offs....
schefz.com
artloch.com

photoshutter

profoto batpac
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
do yourself a favor and check out the vagabond II......I know, I know.....alien bees.....but you know what....it works...perfectly....I use it with profoto D1s.....cost is 1/4 of the profoto.....power, recycle....the same.....don't expect to run hotlights off either one of these.....unless you are fine with 5 or 10 minutes....laptop works great, haven't tried LCD screen and or printer but should not be a problem.....
the profoto price for this is a complete joke.....if you really need to spend that much money and need to run hotlights check out libertypak solutions like the little genny lg400.....
there are great small power solutions for MacBook pros as well.....everything makes more sense then these profoto rip offs....
Alien Bees is a great company

willowsr

Re: profoto batpac
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »

I'm off to the UPS store to send back my third Vagabond II unit.  The first arrived promptly in early August and initially worked well, but failed two weeks later (smoke and popping) in the middle of a shoot.  Customer Service (Melody) sent out another unit (second day air) which failed immediately.  Customer Service  and Tech Support (Joe)  were very apologetic and overnighted the third unit for a scheduled shoot, the evening of 9/4.  The unit arrived the morning 9/3- I got Tech Support on the line as we opened the package.  With Joe, on the line, we started up the unit (which he had personally checked out)- everything worked satisfactorily.  The unit started up properly and functioned well in both slow and fast modes, on multiple monolights, at a wide range of power settings.  Saturday afternoon, as checked/prepared the gear for the shoot (3 assistants, Talent including a horse, Client and AD) the unit failed completely, in a cloud of smoke.  Fortunately, we had just enough power out of old Tronix and Vagabond I units to get the job done.  In fairness I have to say that the CS and TS folks were very pleasant and responsive- they appear to be standing by their full refund policy.  But today, as I head out to the uPS store, the Profoto BatPac is looking really attractive.
Jed

leuallen

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:12 pm »

Mr. Buff is not happy with the Vagabond either. Higher than normal failure rate. Problems beyond his control - inverter quality. So he has developed a new lightweight Lithium pack. Approx $300. Availability ? but is in the pipeline.

Discussed towards the end of this forum message

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933425/4#lastmessage

Larry

archivue

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »

a friend of mine bought a batpac... no problem so far !

sometimes you can't afford to buy cheap stuff... it becomes costy quickly !
Pages: [1]   Go Up