Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac vs Mac Mini + LCD Display for Digital Photo Editing  (Read 2525 times)

PeterSommers

iMac vs Mac Mini + LCD Display for Digital Photo Editing
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »

[attachment=23281:Advice_n...d_take_2.doc]

kpmedia

Re: iMac vs Mac Mini + LCD Display for Digital Photo Editing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:00:55 pm »

Why attach the post as a Word doc?  ???

Advice Needed: I seek your advice on purchasing "ideal" Mac computer and LCD display for digital photography editing/processing within a budget of $3000-3500.

My Experience/Goals: I have done amateur-level analog photography for many years and am now attending CC classes to become proficient in Mac os, digital photo editing using LightRoom, and digital printing (school photo lab uses Mac Pros/ older matte Cinema displays). My goal is to continue shooting film and edit/process digitally.

Decision Options: I was all set to purchase an iMac 27-inch i7( 8gb RAM; 2TB hard drive that runs at 7200 rpm/min). Then, I came across an excellent digital photography blog where the new (2010) Mac mini computer (2.66 GHz core 2 duo processor; 8gb RAM; 500 GB hard drive running at 5400 rpm/min) is recommended as ideal for digital photography editing and processing when paired with a high resolution (1920 x 1200 pixels), wide color gamut (95% + Adobe RGB) LCD display, ie one that can be "easily profiled for both color and density print making". This set-up is advocated as the best, "affordable" way to obtain "color managed prints that are extremely well matched in color and brightness".

This recommendation makes sense to me, but I have almost no experience at this point in digital editing and processing and I have not come across similar recommendations in LL forum. Therefore, I would be grateful for any thoughts you may have that could help me decide on the best option given my goals and budget. Perhaps there is even a 3rd option that might fit within my budget? (Both the iMac and Mac Mini options price out at about $3000 with tax, depending of course on the LCD monitor selected for option 2)

Thank you,

Personally, I'd opt for the Mac mini and a good LCD.
A mini runs about $700 for the current model, and a good LCD can cost as low as $150 for a 22" model.

If you're not making $$$$ on shooting, then I don't know that you'd need a high-end $1,000-2,000 LCD
I certainly wouldn't do it, and I do have income off photography for magazines.

Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.
Pages: [1]   Go Up