Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Graphics Memory Options for CS5  (Read 1656 times)

Gregs

Laptop Graphics Memory Options for CS5
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

Need help on specing a new computer. I’ll be replacing my aging thinkpad T60 with a new laptop for use as an all purpose computer, including  CS5. Display is a non-issue, since for PS, I’ll be using an external monitor (new NEC PA 241 is ordered). Am considering a MacBook Pro 15”, however probably will go with a thinkpad T410 or T410s (Core i5) for cost, weight, and other issues. (Would install the 64 bit version of win 7.) Issue is whether CS5 (vs. older versions of PS) has increased need for graphics memory. I’m working with 100-200 MB  MF scans with multiple layers and printing to Epson 3800. Scans are all 8 bit, though future work will be 16 bit digital full frame or MF The T410’s have a discrete graphics option (256 or 512 vram) using Nividia NVS 3100 M. This card is spec’d at: 64 bit, 16 CUPA core, supports open GL 2.1 and Open CL. MacBook Pro 15” uses a more powerful GPU - Nividia GeForce GT 330M (128 bit, 48 CUPA core). Video editing, encoding, and gaming are of no interest to me. While the traditional consensus is that graphics ram/card were not as important as RAM in PS, not sure if new graphics options in PS might change this. (I’m trying to avoid getting a separate system for PS, though this would allow me to use laptop with integrated graphics.)
Questions:
1)   Any real world diff. between the 2 chips for CS5? (i.e., MBP vs. T410)
2)   With 6-8 mb RAM and 64 bit OS, would discrete graphics add much over integrated?
3)   Any advantage for 512 over 256 mb vram in either?
4)   Any issues hooking up the NEC using the T410 display port?

Thanks.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Laptop Graphics Memory Options for CS5
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:29:21 am »

i7 is notably faster than the i5 with CS and C1.  IMHO, more video memory is usually better and worth the slight additional cost, especially with the newer software and OS's (at least for OSX, cannot speak to Win).  Things like brush strokes in CS5 clearly run better with more VRAM.  However, I still do not use Open GL in CS --- it definitely improves some operations, like brush sizing on the fly or screen redraws with smaller files, but can slow down others like screen redraws with very large files.  (I realize the latter seems counter to what is supposed to happen, but I've tested it and it is a very clear problem with my P65+ files. Even on my Mac Pro with a high-end 1 gig VRAM card it's a problem, so I leave Open GL off there too.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:32:04 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up