Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm very angry with Adobe.  (Read 9812 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
I'm very angry with Adobe.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 04:26:04 am »

Upgrades and pricing aside (which I agree are hard to comprehend in the case of CS and PS), the reason that all the big IT companies get away with such lousy support is that forums like this (and all the other ones I could mention) are the customer support these days. You will will usually get a quicker, better-informed and more generally useful answer to any software or hardware problem by finding the appropriate forum and posting your question there.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:10 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
Upgrades and pricing aside (which I agree are hard to comprehend in the case of CS and PS), the reason that all the big IT companies get away with such lousy support is that forums like this (and all the other ones I could mention) are the customer support these days. You will will usually get a quicker, better-informed and more generally useful answer to any software or hardware problem by finding the appropriate forum and posting your question there.
You have to pick your forum and posters carefully though. There's an awful lot of nonsense out there.
ProDig is very useful for real world technical stuff relating to photography as it's mostly pro photographers taking part. It's an email subscription, rather than web based, but works well.
ProDig
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:23 am »

Got it! FR = Fr..g..n Ridiculous.  
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 10:18:41 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
I'd say yes and no to that. Yes in the sense that for several of these issues, had the companies issued better documentation the calls to tech support would not have been necessary. They scrimp on documentation - either to save money or because they are too immersed in their own subject matter to really understand the needs of communication with the outside world, so they end-up wasting resources on the consequences of inadequate documentation. Some companies actually do try to optimize their communication strategies in terms of dollars and cents worth of tech support they could avoid, but I'm sure not all do. No in the sense that these systems we use are truly very complex, it's simply impossible for any one manufacturer to anticipate each and every kind of issue that can arise in getting it all to function properly together, especially as their cooperation can be limited by the proprietary nature of their businesses - so glitches are unavoidable and calls to tech support therefore become inevitable. Some of it is cringe over, but not all. Some we just have to expect as the "cost of doing business", of "having fun" as the case may be.

I should have added to this that one of my tech support calls - indeed a very long one - was with Hewlett Packard. I do wonder about the technical merit of some of the software and firmware which supports consumer grade products of theirs with which I've had experience. It seems very heavy and intrusive on an OS for what it does. Anyhow, I needed to uninstall the Officejet Pro 8000 and re-install it. The process got completely and hopelessly tangled. I'll never know why. I called their tech support. I was speaking to their service center in the Philippines. The lady at the other end of the line spent about an hour with me getting this printer completely uninstalled and every last remnant of the software removed from every nook and cranny in the computer. She also had me uninstall Adobe Flash Player because it could interfere with the uninstall and reinstall process of their software. Then she took me through getting it reinstalled, Flash re-installed and testing every printer function to make sure it all worked properly again. So what do I take away from an experience like this? Boo to HP for developing software which is so difficult to handle that this kind of support is needed altogether, but three cheers for HP with the manner in which they handled my problem. It's a complicated world we live in, so we need to be cautious not to over-simplify and over-generalize these situations, and above all over-drive ourselves on these issuees.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mistybreeze

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 10:36:33 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Got it! FR = Fr..g..n Ridiculous.  

That's pretty much what I've deduced.

One of Adobe's authorized resellers emailed me yesterday twice. The senior executive with whom I spoke did his own investigation because he, too, was perplexed by the FR. I'm the first person to bring it to his attention. At first, he said the FR was for French Version but then quickly got back to me and said that was wrong. He ended up deciding that the FR did not belong in the product title and he said he would make changes to his website immediately.

Another executive from a well known retailer told me he put in a call to his rep at Adobe. It's been well over 24 hours and the rep has not returned his call yet. I just don't know what to say about any of this crap.

If Bart is correct and FR is short for For, then the label maker at Adobe should have his/her head lopped off. Never have I ever seen "for" abbreviated as uppercase FR. But since these nubile text-messaging hooligans are taking over the world, maybe I'm just getting to old for digital. I'm still waiting for an intelligent explanation from Adobe. I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, Adobe got my money. I purchased both CS5 Design Premium and Lightroom 3. I've been looking forward to both and I never intended not to make this purchase. I hope my extra $200 goes right into Thomas Knoll's pocket because where would we be without that guy's genius. If Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe plan on making a Lightroom 3 video, I will buy that, too. I just love watching those two guys sit around their laptops, explaining this sh!t to all of us.

alanb

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:00 am »

Regarding "Who does give proper service".
I have had several experiences with LaCie including a hard drive replaced over a year out of warranty.  Everyone I have spoken with has been courtious, prompt, and knowledgable, even to the extent of calling me back to ask permission to replace a drive with a later much improved model.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:43 pm »

Quote from: mistybreeze
But since these nubile text-messaging hooligans are taking over the world,

I plan on using this phrase at least 1000 times in the next year.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

... If Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe plan on making a Lightroom 3 video, I will buy that, too. I just love watching those two guys sit around their laptops, explaining this sh!t to all of us.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr3.shtml

Nill

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »

But since these nubile text-messaging hooligans are taking over the world
Nubile? How do you know? Do you have photographs?

In my younger days, I'd have loved to meet some nubile hooligans. The only hooligans I ever met were male, unattractive and very far from marriage material.

Jeremy

WombatHorror

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

That's pretty much what I've deduced.

One of Adobe's authorized resellers emailed me yesterday twice. The senior executive with whom I spoke did his own investigation because he, too, was perplexed by the FR. I'm the first person to bring it to his attention. At first, he said the FR was for French Version but then quickly got back to me and said that was wrong. He ended up deciding that the FR did not belong in the product title and he said he would make changes to his website immediately.

Another executive from a well known retailer told me he put in a call to his rep at Adobe. It's been well over 24 hours and the rep has not returned his call yet. I just don't know what to say about any of this crap.

If Bart is correct and FR is short for For, then the label maker at Adobe should have his/her head lopped off. Never have I ever seen "for" abbreviated as uppercase FR. But since these nubile text-messaging hooligans are taking over the world, maybe I'm just getting to old for digital. I'm still waiting for an intelligent explanation from Adobe. I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, Adobe got my money. I purchased both CS5 Design Premium and Lightroom 3. I've been looking forward to both and I never intended not to make this purchase. I hope my extra $200 goes right into Thomas Knoll's pocket because where would we be without that guy's genius. If Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe plan on making a Lightroom 3 video, I will buy that, too. I just love watching those two guys sit around their laptops, explaining this sh!t to all of us.

hah i think the nubile text-messaging hooligans would've used "4" not "FR" two-letters is like totally wayyy LOOONNGGGG gotta get it down to one!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:10:07 pm by LarryBaum »

BobFisher

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »

Yeah, nubile and hooligans don't really go together.

Nubile = good.  Hooligans = bad.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 07:40:23 am »

Since others have mentioned their experiences with other companies I thought I'd chime in. After recently changing from PC to MAC, I was having a problem getting a legacy Canon multi function printer installed. A couple of emails to customer support were very promptly answered and the problem was solved in short order (by way of disclosure here, it was my fault the driver install bombed because I was unfamiliar with the MAC).  Fast forward a couple of months and I'm the proud owner of an iPF6300, once again, due to me not RTFM, the software install didn't seem to go right. this time I called Canon and probably spent < 60 seconds navigating the call menu and being on hold, the call center people were in America and were very, very friendly and helpful. the problem was very quickly resolved and I'm happily printing on the 6300. For many years I was a PC/Epson user, probably should have spent more time reading before doing the installs.

Thanks, Kevin  :D
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up