Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vancouver Island and San Juans  (Read 2550 times)

Image Northwest

Vancouver Island and San Juans
« on: March 05, 2005, 04:49:24 pm »

These two areas can be good any time of the year, regardless of the weather.  However, July and August are the driest times with a high percentage of bluebird weather.  Both areas have lighthouse, rugged coastlines, harbors, fishing boats, ferries, lots of sea life, including whales.  If you don't have your own boat, I suggest taking the ferry out of Anacortes and to San Juan Island.  That place has all those attractions plus the quaint town of Friday Harbor.  Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is a vey photogentic city.  Just outside the Empress Hotel there's all kinds possibilities for classic buildings, old boats and harbor life.  North of the city is the Butchard Gardens, and along the southwest you can follow the road into some remote coastal areas.  The inside waters are great for kayaks and small boats, and along the central and northern areas of the island are old growth forests, which are great to photograph on overcast days.

The longer you stay, the more there is to photograph.

sieracki

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 11:25:26 am »

Just wondering if anyone has happened upon Vancouver Island and/or the San Juan Islands for some nature photography. It seems pretty scenic is you look at the tourist brochures and websites, but is it really worth it? I understand that the weather is pretty bad (depends on what you call bad -- I guess a lot of rain and gloomly light would qualify) most of the year. I'm contemplating July this year.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 06:44:41 pm »

Here is a link to an index on my web site - scroll down to April 2004 and you'll see 3 galleries with Vancouver Island, mostly Pacific Rim National Park.  I really recommend.  I really recommend not July or August - It's wall to wall people.  By April/May the weather is fine.  Do a google on Pacific Rim National Park and you find a number of links to eco tours etc. that will get you to some interesting wildlife areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up