Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rm3d by Barrett  (Read 4487 times)

CBarrett

Rm3d by Barrett
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:19 pm »

I'm envious.....
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

michele

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:42 pm »

Beautiful

JoeKitchen

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:35 pm »

It's a sure thing, Arca Swiss invented the coolest system ever!  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

fredjeang

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
I'm envious.....
I'm too! this is really like art meets engineering, a sort of ultimate photographic tool.
Pure lines, beautifully designed.

Extremely tempting, like a beautifull sexy and classy lady.

Chris, I saw your street works. What kind of gear do you use for street? Do you have preferences?

CBarrett

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Chris, I saw your street works. What kind of gear do you use for street? Do you have preferences?

Heh... Leica CL circa 1975 and Tri-X.  That work is fairly old but I love the way Tri-X handled high contrast scenes, the halation around blown out edges can be so beautiful!

tho_mas

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »

man, what a beautifully made camera...
A while ago I could play around a little bit with the camera and felt it is extraordinary bulit. The focussing mechanism is outstanding.

Chris: did you use the 47XL prior to the 43XL? And if so would you say it's worth the "upgrade".
I love the 47XL and as I stop down all the time sharpness/resolution is not so much an issue for me... even at large movements.
However the light falloff is heavy and to fiddle around with the center filter is a bit anoying...
Thanks.

fredjeang

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:42 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Heh... Leica CL circa 1975 and Tri-X.  That work is fairly old but I love the way Tri-X handled high contrast scenes, the halation around blown out edges can be so beautiful!
Thanks Chris.
The good old Tri-X. The reporters film!
I enjoyed a lot your street approach, I really like this photographic genre. Did not know this Leica model, a discovery to me.

Cheers

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:29 pm »

I need a cold shower...

LKaven

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »

Great work, Chris...I enjoyed your site.  Looks like the Arca is in deserving hands.

Harold Clark

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

Here ya GO!

Thanks Chris, definitely the most versatile architectural/technical camera system out there. Is the ground glass any use for focussing with a strong loupe, or do you have to use the distance scale for accuracy? Certainly nice to have the GG for composing anyway.

Harold

CBarrett

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »

Quote from: Harold Clark
Thanks Chris, definitely the most versatile architectural/technical camera system out there. Is the ground glass any use for focussing with a strong loupe, or do you have to use the distance scale for accuracy? Certainly nice to have the GG for composing anyway.

Harold

I tend to use my 43mm for the bulk of my work and I don't seem to have any problem getting that accurately focused on the GG.  From time to time I'll make minor adjustments after reviewing captures at 100% on the laptop.  I'm tempted to get the Leica Distance Laser and try shooting untethered, but I really like reviewing color and tonalities on the laptop.

BobDavid

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 10:13:24 pm »

Your Rm3d is a lot more elegant than my workhorse copystand cam.

ondebanks

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 05:34:48 am »

Gorgeous, highly refined camera...and one of the cutest things is that it still uses the old standard Copal 0 mechanical shutter.

In the final pic, what's that gizmo mounted on the top (above the bellows shade) - some sort of mini LCD screen that you can tilt? That would be tres cool.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34:26 am »

I'll go buy some ostrich scrotum leather and pimp my Mamiya Press .....

/me runs away in tears ....

CBarrett

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:39 am »

Quote from: ondebanks
Gorgeous, highly refined camera...and one of the cutest things is that it still uses the old standard Copal 0 mechanical shutter.

In the final pic, what's that gizmo mounted on the top (above the bellows shade) - some sort of mini LCD screen that you can tilt? That would be tres cool.

Actually, that's my radio slave (Profoto Air Remote).  Wouldn't it be nice if the digi back had an HDMI out, tho?

JoeKitchen

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »

There's one thing about this camera that I have been wondering about, can you replace those light clear brown handles?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:44:03 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

CBarrett

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
There's one thing about this camera that I have been wondering about, can you replace those light clear brown handles?

What?!!!!  I dig those!  They don't make an alternate handle like Alpa, but they are attached with 2 easy screws if you fancy carving a pair up for yourself.

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:01 am »

What?!!!!  I dig those!  They don't make an alternate handle like Alpa, but they are attached with 2 easy screws if you fancy carving a pair up for yourself.

I have to change the one on my WDS.... You have this nicely machined body and then BAM! A cheesy great piece of wood bolted on the side.  
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

DanielStone

Rm3d by Barrett
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »

hey Chris,

great to hear(and SEE!) the new "workhorse" of the stable . I've been drooling over the RM3D since it was announced, just wish that I could afford it.

one question however, since I know you're a busy fellow:

How does the sliding back fare with mis-alignment from what you see as focused on the g/g to what you actually get on the final shot? I know that ALPA didn't integrate a sliding back into their cameras for this purpose, except that I know 100% that they were bs'ing, you can get machining within the "digital" tolerances to not have a problem.

just wondering if you're had any problems with this, I'm assuming not, but just interested if you'd had to do any shimming to obtain perfect focus edge to edge so WYSIWYG 100%.

blessings,

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up