Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington DC area, early november  (Read 3802 times)

z1fan

Washington DC area, early november
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:36:06 am »

Hi,

I'm going to attend a congress in DC from 2-6 November. I'm looking to extend my stay for a couple of days to do some landscape shooting in the surrounding area. After searching on this site I came across Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, are there any other suggestions worthwhile within max 4 hours drive from DC. Is the fall color season already over by this time? Any help would be appreciated,

lightstand

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:26 am »

Quote from: z1fan
Is the fall color season already over by this time?

Maybe, probably.  

There is Gettysburg two hours north with Antemium battle grounds (sp?) closer.  Shenandoah NP is two hours west. In the DC area I always over estimate drive times so I'm sure Google maps will claim less time to these spots.   Although why not just shoot some of the memorials they are pretty cool even if a gizzion tourists have snapped them prior. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be glad to help.  jeff

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:56:28 pm »

Depends on what you like to shoot. Popular with birders, Blackwater is a cool NWR, but it's very flat -- ponds and marshes. There might be some winter waterfowl, though early November is a little early for the hordes.

If you like coastal stuff, the whole Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia is great. Plenty of little bays and marshes, tiny little fishing villages, beaches, etc. Try Chincoteague and Assateague islands, too. Chincoteague has a town with some motels and restaurants, Assateague is all protected seashore.

I would expect some fall color in early November, but it's so variable that any prediction isn't worth very much. Sorry.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JonVermilye

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:04:21 pm »

If there is any color, The National Arboretum is a good place to visit. I've also enjoyed shooting the Potomac at Great Falls.

The Foliage Network is a good place to check the Fall color times.  They also have archives that will let you look at the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:08:38 pm by JonVermilye »

z1fan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:34 am »

All very good suggestions and information! It helped me plan my trip

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Washington DC area, early november
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:47:56 am »

Autumn color will probably be minimal.  If you head out to the eastern shore, you may see some more color than in the mountains.

Blackwater is a good bet, but it is somewhat limited in the areas you can go.  There isn't too much hiking in the area.  There is some decent paddling if you are willing to do that.

Some other areas that are worth visits: 

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park--Reconstructed Civil War town at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers.  Hiking to nearby ridges have remains of civil war battlements and stuff. Antietam Battlefield is another good Civil Ware area nearby.  Visiting these spots with leaves off the trees is nice because you can see the battlefield better.

Green Ridge State Forest and PawPaw Canal Tunnel.  C&O Canal tunnel that stretches a little over a half a mile.

Great Falls National Park and the C&O Canal.  Fantastic hiking along the Billy Goat Trail on the Potomac River near the spectacular falls.  This trail surprises everyone by how remote and wild it seems, though it is only a couple miles outside the city limits. 

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Thomas McConnell

Re: Washington DC area, early november
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:32:27 am »

I hope not, some fall color should be the November.
Pages: [1]   Go Up