Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: These walls can speak!  (Read 2337 times)

seamus finn

These walls can speak!
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:15:42 am »

Seen here and there along the way:

House gable, Derry, Northern Ireland.

[attachment=23253:derry_ga..._1_of_1_.jpg]

Aboriginal Tent Embassy, Canberra, Australia.

[attachment=23254:aborigin..._embassy.jpg]

Shop, Belfast, Northern Ireland.

[attachment=23255:belfast_..._1_of_1_.jpg]

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
These walls can speak!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:44:13 am »

I find myself wishing these were larger as there looks to be a lot of textural detail for the eye to enjoy in these - but its hard to do so in these small files.

That said - I really like the first one (a lot). I cant even really say why; it just has a look that I find appealing. The composition really works for me and holds my interest. I find my eyes drawn around the image looking for an explanation as to why and where this scene was photographed. I think a shot like this is quite polarising - you either love it or hate it. For me its the former. I don't quite know why.. but it reminds me of the old abandoned housing apartment in Russia near Chernobyl.

The second shot for me doesn't quite make the grade. Its a little to 'centred' and stagnant. I also find the areas left and right of the shack distracting. Same applies to the trees at the top.

The third I also like. For me, its much more successful than the second, but just short of the first. The composition is very good. The slight off angle works for me and again the overall look appeals - Im not sure wether its the processing, the 'grunge' the texture or all of the above - but I like it.

I would like to see them larger - I think there is texture here that makes these photographs and its somewhat lost in these small examples.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
These walls can speak!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:51:56 am »

Seamus, I agree with Josh, especially about wanting to see these in a larger size. I admire your ability to handle mid-tones in your B&W's. At first I thought you were heavily clipping the lows in order to stretch the tones, but downloading one or two of your files and examining them with Camera Raw tells me that isn't so. The clipping at both ends appears to be almost identical to what I'd do. In any case it's clear you're a master of B&W.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

seamus finn

These walls can speak!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »

Thanks for that Josh and Russ. Here's a bigger version of the first shot - it was taken at Free Derry Corner which became internationally famous during 'the Troubles' in Northern Ireland. I worked compositionally on this but to be honest not on the other two whose incongruity I found to be the main point.

Russ: No, not a master - more like on a wing and a prayer. However, I am truly flattered by such a generous compliment.

[attachment=23259:derry_ga..._biggest.jpg]

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
These walls can speak!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:10:10 pm »

Ah, the joys of the Bogside ... much nicer now than it was a few years ago. Is the 'You are now entering Free Derry' mural still there?

seamus finn

These walls can speak!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

Not sure, Chairman - haven't been there for a while but I intend to return in the next few weeks to see how things have changed for the better. Did you by any chance spend some time there yourself? Here's a reminder if you did:

[attachment=23260:free_der..._1_of_1_.jpg]

Pages: [1]   Go Up