Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Combo DSLRS  (Read 5398 times)

thewanderer

The New Combo DSLRS
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »

I purchased the t2i for giggles in anticipation of playing with the video feature, but didnt want to go as deep as the7d in terms of cost.  I have a 1dsIII as a show off compliment.

all that aside, Mr Reichmann wrote an article about a year or so ago about the basics of the video intergration in the dslrs, terms, definitions, etc,  and since, it seems that with the 5dII, the 7d and the t2i, hd video has made some leaps since that article.  

Do most of the basics laid out in that article still stand true as a primer or has the improvments  changed to the extent that the article is dated.  

Just trying to find an up to date starting point to learn for the basics of shutterspeeds, isos, 720/1080 etc..

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: The New Combo DSLRS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:52 pm »

http://www.hv20.com/forumdisplay.php?47-DSLR-and-Still-Cameras a sub forum for HV20/30/40 and other users is another good source of information.
Les

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:11:12 pm »

Your shutter speed should be 50% of your frame rate

25FPS in europe 24FPS or 30FPS in USA

your ISO should be as low as possible

higher shutter speeds make the motion 'strobe'

often you need an ND filter outdoors with a DSLR unless F22 is your look

video cams have ND filters built in

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »

Your shutter speed should be 50% of your frame rate

25FPS in europe 24FPS or 30FPS in USA

Just for clarification, since that will be interpreted both ways, the 'guideline' is 1/48s for 24fps.  Double your frame rate to get your shutter speed.  I'm just concerned that some may read 'half' and think the shutter speed would be 1/12.  The biggest reason that the half (or double) relationship is suggested is to help keep motion smooth.  If you shoot at faster shutter speeds, everything in the shot becomes sharper and the playback can have a jittery look. 

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »

Cinema5d.com will give you more info than you probably want to know.
The signal to noise ratio there is terrible and far too many LCW (Loud confident and wrong) posts.

There are some gems of information buried within the forums, and a few people who do have valuable knowledge they'll pass on, but you could also get some really misleading answers too. Not helped by an unhelpful fanboi set of users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up