Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Point of interests: Vancouver,Victoria,Comox,Quadra Island  (Read 3079 times)

GeorgeArthur

Point of interests: Vancouver,Victoria,Comox,Quadra Island
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:08:03 am »

I'll be traveling through Victoria,Vancouver, Comox and Quadra Island and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend scenic landscapes in these areas that will be worth the trouble and the time. I will definitely be making the drive from Vancouver to Whistler.

Thanks in advance
George

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »

Hi George:  Welcome to the list!  If you search the forums there was a recent thread on areas of interest around Vancouver.  As for the island, there's a LOT of natural beauty here - so much that you'll have to decide for yourself what you want to see.  You might find something of interest here: Island Nature and The Best of Vancouver Island.  You could also check out Tourism Vancouver Island and Hello BC for information.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

J.Dufton

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »

Quote from: GeorgeArthur
I'll be traveling through Victoria,Vancouver, Comox and Quadra Island and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend scenic landscapes in these areas that will be worth the trouble and the time. I will definitely be making the drive from Vancouver to Whistler.

Thanks in advance
George
John Dufton[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#0000FF"][/color]

J.Dufton

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:44:15 am »

George, I hope this reaches you before you depart.
Vancouver Island has plethora of photographic opportunities.
Starting in Victoria, there is Buchart Gardens, A spectacular gardens of several acres. Royal Rhodes castle, a gracious building in the Italian style with a lovely Italian & Japanese gardens, with views across the straits of Juan de Fuca to the Olympic Mts.
Victoria Harbour & the Empress Hotel. The 2nd. oldest China town in N.A.
Take a day to go West to Port Renfew & Botanical beach.
Going N on the Malahat Highway the !st stop is at Gold Stream park. A small stream which has a Chum salmon run in October with attendant Bald Eagles. Trees galore. Across the highway is "Niagra" Falls. Much much smaller than the other one! It has been very dry around here this summer & a will need heavy rain to get it flowing again. Great in Spring & Fall. It is one of my favorites.
Proceeding up the Malahat, there a great views  over The Sannich peninsular over to the Mainland & Mount Baker.About 20 miles further on, you will reach Duncan (near where I live). The "City" ( a small town) has a walk in the old downtown which takes you past a number of different totem poles, including a Maori one. There is a Native cultural center. A side trip to the coast  to Cowichan Bay is worth while. A small funky community at the mouth of the Cowichan River.
Further N (15 miles) is Chemanius, a small town that has a large number of Native & non-Native murals. It also has a very active theater there.
10 miles on one reaches Ladysmith. The center has a lot of 100 yr. old buildings on the main street.
The next big town is Naniamo. Not to much to see there
Going further N you can come off the main highway & take the coastal road to Parksville & Qualicum. Good views of the Mainland coastal mountains. There is another pretty waterfall on the little Qualicum river.
If you have the time, take the road to the west coast & Tofino. Beautiful mountain & lake views on the way with spectacular West Coast Storm sandy beaches with surfing. Tofino is a quaint fishing village that has become somewhat yuppified.There are some good resturants in the area. Also whale & Black bear spotting & great Salmon fishing.
Back to the main highway N. takes 2 hrs. & Courtney is about 45-60 mins. North.
All of this is just the Amuse bouche.
John Dufton.
John Dufton[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#0000FF"][/color]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 02:07:34 am »

Hi George, and welcome to the list.  John's provided you with some good ideas already... you may wish to search through the forums as this question has come up before.  You could also check Tourism Vancouver Island and Tourism Victoria.
Mike.
(who also lives on the island)
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up