Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 - can you profile 13x19 sheets?  (Read 1654 times)

Roscolo

z3100 - can you profile 13x19 sheets?
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »

I'm guessing one cannot profile 13x19 sheets in a z3100. I've tried twice now - once landscape and once portrait. Prints the target then cancels the process. Only have 5 sheets of my sample pack of Ilford Gold Silk. Thanks, Ilford, for not even putting any z3100 presets up for your paper. I won't be buying any more as a result.

Anyone else found a way to profile 13x19 sheets on a z3100? I just have the base Z, no APS. 5 sheets left, and I need one to actually make a print on, so I get 4 more chances! Any ideas?

Roscolo

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »

Man, what a headache. Tried again. This time it said, "Profiling failed due to cartridge problem." Thing is, I don't have a cartridge problem, other than a few carts that are out of warranty but are all at least half-full.

Well, it did print the test pattern. Maybe there is a way to feed that pattern in and have the printer just read it?

UPDATE: Wow. This is crazy. Even when I load the target and try to create the profile, the printer still doesn't let me profile due to "cartridge problem." And doesn't say what the problem is, other than I have 3 carts that are "out of warranty."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:32:34 pm by Roscolo »

SergeyT

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:38 pm »

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/s...2/c00820462.pdf
p. 72
Chapter 6 Color management
The printer chooses automatically between two profile charts:
● An A3 or B format for cut sheets
● A roll-paper format that minimizes paper use by printing across the full width of the roll

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply, but I read the instructions and that was not the problem. If you are trying to do this, and having problems, here is THE SOLUTION (at least for me it was) and I hope this spares someone from my headache:

FIRST - DISABLE ALL of HP's Useless, meaningless warnings, etc. under "Tools" > "Alert Settings" at the top of the HP Utility Tab.

If you're trying to profile from 13x19, that probably does it. IF you are trying to profile from a previously printed target, as I was to save the few sheets of this crappy Ilford Gold Silk I bought, and the profiling process keeps cancelling, what is PROBABLY the issue is this:

-----On the z3100 Main Menu on the Printer itself, go to "Setup" > "Printing Preferences" > "Paper Options" > "Sheet Load, Check Skew" > make sure the "YES" box is CHECKED. If the "No" box is checked and you have been happily bypassing the skew check as I had been, profiling from a pre-printed target AIN'T GONNA WORK.-----

I didn't find this anywhere, I eventually figured this out. Read my posts today and you can see what fun I've had!

After all that, I profiled the Ilford Fiber Gold Silk and why anyone would print on this stuff is beyond me. I profiled with Gloss Enhancer ON and even with that profile, and Ilford's canned profile, the gloss differential and bronzing is ridiculously bad. Maybe once you're print is framed and hanging on the wall you're OK, but don't let anybody flex this paper in the light...I can't believe how bad this stuff is. Even HP ID Satin blows it away. If someone printing on a z3100 has achieved zero bronzing and zero gloss differential on IGFS, please let me know how you did it. Right now I wouldn't pay 2 bucks for a roll of this stuff, much less the exorbitant price they charge. Looks pretty good, until you change angle in the light. Then it's a turd. I'm printing a client's color files. Maybe B&W is better? HP ID Satin looks 100x better for what I'm printing.

After updating firmware, I also had problems with connecting the z3100 via Ethernet. Sometimes it would show, sometimes it wouldn't. Rebooting computer and the z is time-consuming and gets old fast. Highly recommend connecting your printer via USB. Never had a problem in the last couple of years using it that way. A few hours with Ethernet after the update, and nothing but connectivity problems.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:29:38 pm by Roscolo »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:01:22 am »

I have to copy this to my HP Z folder.

It's never been easy to find info on HP printers , and it will get worse.

I tried finding info yesterday on the Print Preview and CS5. There isn't any.

As you noted in theory and it did work before any A3+ sheet should work with the built in profiler.

But as changes were made like skew check documentation didn't follow.

I just updated the firmware yesterday too , again no idea what is in that little surprise.

I wish it'd cure the false paper jams that HP refused to repair.  

The good news is after leaving it off for 2 months in very hot weather, the first print was spotless.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Thanks for the reply, but I read the instructions and that was not the problem. If you are trying to do this, and having problems, here is THE SOLUTION (at least for me it was) and I hope this spares someone from my headache:

FIRST - DISABLE ALL of HP's Useless, meaningless warnings, etc. under "Tools" > "Alert Settings" at the top of the HP Utility Tab.

If you're trying to profile from 13x19, that probably does it. IF you are trying to profile from a previously printed target, as I was to save the few sheets of this crappy Ilford Gold Silk I bought, and the profiling process keeps cancelling, what is PROBABLY the issue is this:

-----On the z3100 Main Menu on the Printer itself, go to "Setup" > "Printing Preferences" > "Paper Options" > "Sheet Load, Check Skew" > make sure the "YES" box is CHECKED. If the "No" box is checked and you have been happily bypassing the skew check as I had been, profiling from a pre-printed target AIN'T GONNA WORK.-----

After all that, I profiled the Ilford Fiber Gold Silk and why anyone would print on this stuff is beyond me. I profiled with Gloss Enhancer ON and even with that profile, and Ilford's canned profile, the gloss differential and bronzing is ridiculously bad. Maybe once you're print is framed and hanging on the wall you're OK, but don't let anybody flex this paper in the light...I can't believe how bad this stuff is.

Thanks for posting that, it's much appreciated. As far as the IFGS, yes the bronzing and gloss differential are horrible. The only thing I can print on this paper is my series of vintage looking photos that are toned and have low contrast. I posted a sample below. There are few deep blacks and nothing over 242 on the whites. These prints are acceptable in both bronzing and gloss differential. When I tried this paper for my normal B&W there was no way. I never tried to print color on it. For B&W I tested a lot of papers and settled on the Photo Rag Baryta. It's outstanding! My color work is still done on the Pro Satin.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up