Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3100 - Firmware update and now no printer  (Read 2402 times)

Roscolo

HP z3100 - Firmware update and now no printer
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »

I knew I should have avoided updating firmware. But, all seemed to go well. Firmware went through update through the HP Utility, then went into the phase where it automatically restarts the printer. Problem was the printer never shut itself off. An error message came up and told me to manually restart. I did. Well, now it starts at 0% and that's it!

I've tried restarting a few times, and nothing. They make it sound like if the firmware update fails, it will just roll back and all is well. Not if the printer is rendered unstartable it won't.

Any suggestions? All this for a customer who wanted some prints on IGFS, and he's already not worth the time spent, much less a bricked printer.

UPDATE: The power of the LL forums must be in effect. When typing the above post I turned around to see the printer counting up to 100% where it stayed for about 5 minutes displaying 100%, then the standard "HP Invent" startup screen appeared and went to 100%, then the HP Invent screen again went to 100%, now the initialization process has started.

For what it's worth: maybe I just didn't wait long enough on some of those restarts, but I also rebooted my computer, disconnected and reconnected my USB computer to printer connection, disconnected 2 other devices connected via onboard USB ports (x-rite puck and card reader) and left the printer unplugged for 1 minute between restarts. Maybe one of those helped, maybe I just didn't wait long enough. Seems OK now. Paranoid about firmware!

My system is Win XP Pro SP3, 32 bit, z3100 connected via USB, no other printers connected to this machine (just a PDF generator).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:09:18 pm by Roscolo »

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
I knew I should have avoided updating firmware. But, all seemed to go well. Firmware went through update through the HP Utility, then went into the phase where it automatically restarts the printer. Problem was the printer never shut itself off. An error message came up and told me to manually restart. I did. Well, now it starts at 0% and that's it!

I've tried restarting a few times, and nothing. They make it sound like if the firmware update fails, it will just roll back and all is well. Not if the printer is rendered unstartable it won't.

Any suggestions? All this for a customer who wanted some prints on IGFS, and he's already not worth the time spent, much less a bricked printer.

When you say you've tried restarting...  do you shut the power off with the switch in the back, by the power cord?  I even will unplug the power cord to be sure.
Ted Dillard

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »

Quote from: teddillard
When you say you've tried restarting...  do you shut the power off with the switch in the back, by the power cord?  I even will unplug the power cord to be sure.

Thanks, Ted. I edited my post above and added more info. I unplugged between restarts. Seems to be OK now. Firmware update worked. Now I've got to do the driver, wasn't sure which to update first.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:05:36 pm by Roscolo »

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Thanks, Ted. I edited my post above and added more info. I unplugged between restarts. Seems to be OK now. Firmware update worked. Now I've got to do the driver, wasn't sure which to update first.
Sweet, that's good.  That's the one thing I've learned about these printers- it's a lot more likely it's just taking a really really long time than the chance that it's hung.  I even had a high-level HP guy think his had hung, until 20 min. later it finally updated the FW.
Ted Dillard

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:03 am »

I redid my 3200 yesterday.

On first boot  up after 2-3 months off line the FSCK took a long time.

Could it be the CRON tasks were not done, or the disc capacity needs to put a lot of swap files around the disc?

Must be something in that causing an excessive delay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up