Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Pixels  (Read 1021 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Hot Pixels
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:45:07 am »

I have just returned from a week long trip and I am noticing hot pixels showing up on some of my night-time exposures (even as short as 30 seconds).  These were never noticeable before.  Is this an indication that my sensor is reaching its lifetime limit?  My Canon 40D is approaching 3 years of usage at this point.  No idea how many actuations.  

I did use live view quite a bit and that may be the source (something I will need to check when I get the opportunity)
[size=12p

Clearair

Hot Pixels
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
I have just returned from a week long trip and I am noticing hot pixels showing up on some of my night-time exposures (even as short as 30 seconds).  These were never noticeable before.  Is this an indication that my sensor is reaching its lifetime limit?  My Canon 40D is approaching 3 years of usage at this point.  No idea how many actuations.  

I did use live view quite a bit and that may be the source (something I will need to check when I get the opportunity)

I think you need to be a bit more specific.
How many, have you run the sensor cleaning mode, have you seen these before? I have only ever had two DSLSs that did not have a hot pixel, I still own them and intend keeping them.
5D11
40D

My second 40D and a 5D all had this a some point. lets not even go to the 350-400 spec sensors.

Mostly it's just not a problem as a bit of cloning or repair in your PP application will sort it out.
I bet your sensor is just fine as dark backgrounds will show the slightest thing just like a light background shows up a dirty sensor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up