Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5DMk2 - Buy or Wait?  (Read 13636 times)

NigelC

Canon 5DMk2 - Buy or Wait?
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »

[quote name='PatrikR' date='Jul 21 2010, 08:26 AM' post='377474']
If Canon announces 5DM3 at Photokina this september and will be able to deliver it pretty soon, there will be plenty of used and little used 5DM2 available. I would wait and see. Well actually I am...

They won't! - Photokina 2010 for 1Ds4 - they won't steal its thunder (and even sales) with a 5D3 which I think will come early 2011

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

Ok, this thread totally derailed, and is completely OFF topic. And it seems, no matter how many times I say I don't need help picking a model, I just wanted to check about rumors, people still seem to question my decision making regarding my needs and decision, and also, how much I intend to take back from the investment, and how many more doors it may open, when compared to other canon models other than a 1Ds. Or which lenses I already said I own and so on.

So, I'll stop following this thread as of now, please, go on now yet again with "which camera is the best" arguments.

Thanks everyone who helped.

Jessica

JohnKoerner

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 07:08:03 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Why not? IQ is essentially identical, so if one can take good shots with the 7D but not 550D then the problem is behind the camera, not in the gear.
I did extensive comparisons between 50D, 7D and 550D before I got the 550D. The few features where 550D is inferior (max shutter speed, lower FPS, 95% viewfinder coverage) are non-issues for me, and the weight and cost savings made it an easy decision. Of course these can be deal breakers for some. Pretty much the only feature I truly miss is custom user-saved settings. And MLU
If by toy you mean tiny and light, you're right - it's a plus for some. If you refer to "build quality," it's a whole different topic as it's just as subjective and ill-defined as DR. I've traveled to 20+ countries with 30D/450D/550D, and have never had problems. Then again I shoot in pleasant conditions and avoid banging my cameras around.
I appreciate showing up to a big shoot with a 550D can cause chuckles from inexperienced ADs who think a photographer is good because he has a good camera, and can cause inferiority complexes when shooting next to a P65, but as an amateur I don't compare my camera-peen with anyone. If that's what's the motivation, it's like cars and bodybuilding: there's always a bigger car/guy.
And if I ever do need to compare camera-peens, I'll just show up with my TLRs

It could have been his lenses, Feppe, I don't know, but his macro shots were not compelling at all, nor were most of the others. Essentially, I was glad I bought my 7D when I saw his camera in person, and compared it (and the results) with mine, but I did not conduct an "extensive comparison." But the lesser features you mention (esp. 95% viewfinder) are an absolotue annoyance to me, truthfully, and I would imagine this inequity could ruin many kinds of shot.

Still, to each his own, and I am sure Jessica's choice will be based on her own preferences, as were yours, and as were mine.

Thanks for providing the link BTW,

Jack

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 03:10:15 am »

Quote from: JessicaLuchesi
Ok, this thread totally derailed, and is completely OFF topic. And it seems, no matter how many times I say I don't need help picking a model, I just wanted to check about rumors, people still seem to question my decision making regarding my needs and decision, and also, how much I intend to take back from the investment, and how many more doors it may open, when compared to other canon models other than a 1Ds. Or which lenses I already said I own and so on.

So, I'll stop following this thread as of now, please, go on now yet again with "which camera is the best" arguments.

Thanks everyone who helped.

Jessica

It's not derailed really, cost is a major concern for you. I've used a 5DmkII on a couple of jobs and everyday I use  1DsmkIII's on jobs, it's how I pay the bills. Quite honestly I'm wondering where the extra money goes on these beasts, I would like to say build quality but as all my Ds's have had several trips back to Canon for various reasons, both have had at least one new shutter each well before time, I find "build quality' a questionable feature. You would have to do some serious investigation to find a quality gap between pictures taken on a 550D and big Canons, even then I don't know which way that would fall. Knowing what I know now from using them I would rather have 3 550D's and the extra money in the bank. If I needed tilt shift for Architecture it would be different.
No one knows here what Canon plan on doing with their camera range, there might never be a 5DmkIII, we can only make worthwhile comments on what actually is and not might be at some point.
A 5D will be a great camera and will earn it's keep regardless of any new model, so get one.

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up