Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Touch Up  (Read 7841 times)

ghaynes754

Canvas Touch Up
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:13:12 am »

Ok all of you canvas gurus out there.  Any suggestions on doing small touch ups on canvas's?  From transporting to shows I get the occasional bumps and dings.  Was thinking of some of the fine are pens for touch up but wanted to see what the group suggests.

Gary

Dward

Canvas Touch Up
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:05:00 am »

I use acrylic paints--seems to provide a better match to the original look than pens (at least, any pens I'm familiar with).

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Quote from: ghaynes754
Ok all of you canvas gurus out there.  Any suggestions on doing small touch ups on canvas's?  From transporting to shows I get the occasional bumps and dings.  Was thinking of some of the fine are pens for touch up but wanted to see what the group suggests.

Gary

BobFisher

Canvas Touch Up
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:44:58 am »

Acrylic paint would be one method, as David noted.  You can also get archival, artist marker sets.  I've got a set of 20 from Staedtler.  Any decent art supply store should carry something like that.  They can work well.  Unlike with paints, you can't mix colours.  

The other thing to consider is that any areas you fix after the fact won't be covered with whatever topcoating protectant you use.  Since the areas are small it shouldn't be a big problem but it's something to keep in mind.

You might look at a different method of packing and transporting your pieces as well, just so that these kinds of problems are minimised or eliminated.

na goodman

Canvas Touch Up
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:48:44 am »

I use Faber Castell art pens. They are india ink, waterproof, very lightfast and  blendable. They really work well if you have to touch up from any flaking or dust before the varnish coat. If you are touching up scuffs after I would then apply your finish over the spot with a small brush. I have also used acrylics in the past.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Canvas Touch Up
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »

I use Staedtler Ergosoft colored pencils. They are water soluble, which I think is a plus in that it allows me to dampen the touch up and start over it or blend it, but then coat over it with Glamour II and make it permanent.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up