Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desk chairs  (Read 7923 times)

trentf

Desk chairs
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »

I am looking for new desk chairs for my computer workstations and was curious what others are using?  With the amout of time spent in it I want to make the right decision....

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Desk chairs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:23:00 am »

I have been using a Hermann Miller Aeron chair at work for about five years now. It was very expensive indeed (for a chair: you'd happily spend much, much more on a lens) but it's extremely comfortable, with good lumbar support. I not infrequently sit in it for the vast bulk of a 10-hour day. I recommend it.

Jeremy

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
Desk chairs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:24:14 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I have been using a Hermann Miller Aeron chair at work for about five years now. It was very expensive indeed (for a chair: you'd happily spend much, much more on a lens) but it's extremely comfortable, with good lumbar support. I not infrequently sit in it for the vast bulk of a 10-hour day. I recommend it.

Jeremy

agreed, have one at home whichI bought off work when they rejigged the office layout (and gave us sxxx chairs instead).  Then they brought in some newer Herman Millers but smaller versions with hard backs, the same net seat which I find even more comfortable for long periods.  

Interestingly when we were testing chairs I found the ones that were most comfortable over short periods (ie 30 minutes) were actually the least comfortable over long periods, ie the day.  Perhaps I'm odd.
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

shootergirl

Desk chairs
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:31 am »

I'd like to add my recommendation for the Hermann Miller Aeron chair. I work 10 hour days and it's great. There are so many adjustments that you can make on it that it fits anyone.

Donna

Sheldon N

Desk chairs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:26:56 am »

I also like the Herman Miller Aeron chair. I've tried the Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom and Herman Miller Mirra chairs as well. Of those, I liked the Mirra equally as well as the Aeron. The other two just didn't seem to fit as well.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

RobWalstrom

Desk chairs
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:55 pm »

I just spent a large amount of time shopping for a new office chair. I had the fortunate experience of my local supplier letting me demo 3 popular Herman Miller chairs in my home for a few weeks. Long story short, TRY out these chairs if you can. They are not inexpensive and are a significant choice, you want to make sure you get the best fit for you.

Initially I tried out the Aeron and Mirra at the store. I really felt the Mirra was going to be the winner, but they insisted I try the chairs in my home. I'm glad they did! Turns out the Mirra is a problem for some people, as was the case for me. If you're one of the unfortunate few, your legs will go asleep when sitting in all but the forward tilt position. Sad, because I really liked the chair otherwise. I'm guessing a lot of people don't have this problem.

In the end, I bought the Embody chair, which is the newest model by Herman Miller, and I really like it. It doesn't have the hard lip on the front of the seat like the Aeron, and feels great when sitting in a slightly reclined position. The fabric is thicker than the mesh used by the Aeron and the seat of the Mirra, which I notice more now that it is summer and my office is warmer, but it's not a big deal to me.

Anyhow, I highly recommend trying chairs out and possibly an in-home demo if you can manage. Sitting in a chair for 15 mins at a store can give you a rough idea, but the true test is using it at your home as you normally would.

Rob

trentf

Desk chairs
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »

Thank everyone for the replies.  I would say the Herman Miller was at the top of my list...  it is good to know others like them.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Desk chairs
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:01:16 pm »

+2 on the Aeron... one for home, one for office.

Nill

p.s.  They're not cheap... check Craigslist for used stock.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:02:13 pm by Nill Toulme »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Desk chairs
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »

Quote from: kikashi

Jeremy

Amen to the Aeron recommendation - I have 2 and love them. You only have one back, treat it well! One of my Aeron chairs is 15 years old and works as well as the day I got it.

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
Desk chairs
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:17:46 am »

I've had my Aeron for about 9 years and when I start thinking that it's not as comfortable as it used to be, all I have to do is spend time in some other office chair to realize it's still the cream of the crop. I haven't tried the Embody yet, but found the Humanscale chair to be to too hot to sit in during a full working day.

Happyfish

Desk chairs
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 04:50:57 am »

late to this  

we have both Steelcase Leap and Aeron chairs in our home office ?

both have pros and cons the steelcase my butt falls asleep still after long hours  I should get up and stretch more !
the Aeron your legs can fall asleep for some people ?
the arms on the leap are nicer and more comfy for working
the material of the Aeron is nice and cool
the back support I think might be a bit better on the leap over the aeron ?

but both are nice and lucky to have both  

really if anyone is looking at chairs go to some show rooms and try them out bring a magazine or your laptop and spend a hour or so in them if you can ?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Desk chairs
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:49:28 am »

Another vote for Aeron -- it is a chair you can ride in easily for hours on end.  Just be aware they offer different basic sizes and even as adjustable as they are, you want to make sure you start with the correct size initially.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

tived

• http://
Desk chairs
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:30 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Another vote for Aeron -- it is a chair you can ride in easily for hours on end.  Just be aware they offer different basic sizes and even as adjustable as they are, you want to make sure you start with the correct size initially.

That's why I want to buy the Herman Miller Embody today, Aeron is yesterdays technology, though no less of a great chair still amazing, just now its second best to the embody.

Henrik

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Desk chairs
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »

Quote from: tived
That's why I want to buy the Herman Miller Embody today, Aeron is yesterdays technology, though no less of a great chair still amazing, just now its second best to the embody.

Henrik

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you have it.  It would be a tough call for me since the Embody is basically 2x the price of the Aeron here in the States, and I know I like the Aeron .
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Happyfish

Re: Desk chairs
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 02:05:42 am »

Henrik

going to have to check those out :)

I know our Aeron are older and are Leap are newer and are main chairs now

those look pretty cool :) cant wait to go sit in them somewhere

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Desk chairs
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 06:13:27 am »

Don't get the Aeron (at least) until you try a Relax The Back LifeForm chair.

I had the Aeron for years, and loved it. But then I got the LifeForm....Ohhh man!
It is like being in a cockpit with the best wrap feel around your rear.

I spet a lot of time looking, and I did the same for my bed for sleeping. The chair cost more...I also spend more time in the chair.

I am considering getting a lift workstation so I can stand, as I know all this sitting is not good.

This chair I have had for a few years. I am a big guy and I lean on the arm rest, and really move about in it..no problems. The build quality is A+.

Just defaulting to the Aeron would be a mistake. Not that its uncomfortable, but you really should try and see what you might miss out on.  Heck you might not like it and feel even better you tried and now know.

good luck
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up