Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visible dust  scratched my sensor?  (Read 2881 times)

jdemott

Visible dust  scratched my sensor?
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:29:58 am »

It doesn't seem likely that you could have actually scratched it.  When you are cleaning the "sensor" you are actually cleaning the filter that covers the sensor.  My understanding is that the filter is made from material that is harder than the nylon bristles of the brush and thus can't be scratched if the brush is properly used, particularly since the flexible fibers of the brush do not allow much pressure to be exerted on the surface.  It seems more likely that what you are seeing is marks made by the brush in the layer of whatever grime or dirt is covering the sensor (or scratches that were already there from improper cleaning by the previous owner).  If it were mine, I'd be inclined to try a very careful and thorough cleaning with Eclipse fluid and Pec-pads.  Remember that the one danger of that type of cleaning is that if there is grit on the surface of the filter, too much pressure with the cleaning pad can push the grit across the surface and scratch it.  Good luck.
John DeMott

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 01:15:41 pm »

I've booked my camera in for a pro clean Friday. Thanks guys, I was crap-ping myself silly. Would a scratch be dark or like a neg, white?

Mike Bailey

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:16:16 pm »

Looks all the world like propellant gunk from canned air that might have gotten on the brush?  Early on I was a bit careless charging the Visible Dust brush and managed to do something like that, and yes, it did require Eclipse and Sensor Swabs to resolve.  

Mike

jdemott

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 12:35:36 pm »

Glad to hear it.  I'm sure that the first sight of those marks was a little worrisome.  Now you can get back to working with the new camera.
John DeMott

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:22:56 pm »

I'll have a look, I'm in the process of refreshing my batteries a couple of times as I don't know how they were used. It looked a bit rough for anything like that, could have dropped from the ceiling from the look of it, certainly weird and not a little bit worrying.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:42:51 am »

I just bought a 1Ds. The sensor was pretty dusty. I cleaned it using the Visible Dust brush that I've used often with my 10D. Where the dust was there are now a bunch of squiggles on the sensor. I tried giving it another wipe with the brush but it doesn't seem to be helping. Have I scratched my sensor to #### and back? I wasn't doing anything different...  

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 01:01:20 pm »

I've seen that kind of smudge before, and I agree with jdemott. They aren't scratches. You've just smeared around some goo. You won't be able to get it off by blowing or brushing, but it will come right off with Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid.

It would probably be a good idea to clean your brush before using it again. If it wasn't the source of the goo, it has probably picked some up from your 1Ds.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 01:31:16 pm »

Looks like a job for Sensor Swabs and Eclipse, which is the only way to deal with smeared non-solid sticky stuff. A brush can get dust and other solid particulate stuff, but is powerless when it comes to liquid/sticky stuff.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:48:56 am »

Just got it back from the shop, all clean-ish, could do with another few cleans but those marks are gone. Thanks everyone.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:51:53 pm »

I've been working with it already, the marks didn't show at 5.6 which I usually shoot at so I could use it for a couple of jobs yesterday. Thanks though, it was worrying thinking that you've totalled your new 1Ds that you've taken a loan out for, on the first day! I've never seen marks like that on my 10D which is why I panicked.

I got back from the shop and decided to see if the pro had done the job properly, I knew that he hadn't shot any test shots with it. The first frame had a black opaque mark covering 10% of the sensor in the corner. Thinking that he had just swept all the dust into the corner I phoned up and said I was bringing it straight back. My wife told me to try a different lens, I put another on and now the mark was in the middle of the frame, the next shot didn't have it at all.
I activated the sensor clean, pointed it at the floor and banged it on the back a few times. A half inch by quarter inch piece of flaked black paint fell off onto the floor. How it got in there I have no idea but it really confused me...

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:38:11 pm »

With sensor clean activated, look into the camera and see if the mirror box still has all of the matte black interior finish it's supposed to have. If it does, then either the paint flake came from a lens or your pro cleaner did something amazingly foolish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up