Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Bleed Printers  (Read 1995 times)

jacunivac

Full Bleed Printers
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:09:14 am »

I've had a rather cheap HP Officejet Pro K5400 for about a year and a half. The tray that supports print sheets is flaky, falls off and has been put back on so many times the plastic is worn out so it just lies in place. It gets jammed every once in a while but is pretty damn efficient on ink usage. I have an HP Z3100 and two other printers but this cheap printer can do 8.5 x 11 full bleed printing that is very impressive.

QUESTION? Does anyone have any experience with any small format printers that do full bleed? I know mine is on it's last legs and would like to get a printer that is a bit more heavy duty with my next purchase. That means it can take a beating a little better than this one and NOT that the price is heavy duty.

Thanks,

Jack

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Full Bleed Printers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:17 pm »

Quote from: jacunivac
QUESTION? Does anyone have any experience with any small format printers that do full bleed? I know mine is on it's last legs and would like to get a printer that is a bit more heavy duty with my next purchase. That means it can take a beating a little better than this one and NOT that the price is heavy duty.

Several of the consumer-grade photo printers can do full bleed prints on cut sheets. If your maximum size is letter size, you can probably find several inexpensive possibilities. I've had a few Epson printers which could do this, and the other manufacturers advertise the same.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:56:24 pm by JohnHeerema »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Full Bleed Printers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:14 pm »

I have a Canon i9950 A3+ printerand am very happy with it. The ink cartridges are tiny, but price per square cm is roughly comparable to 17" printers. It's a dye printer so not archival by any definition of the word. It reportedly does much deeper blacks than pigment inks, and has similar gamut to some of them - although haven't been able to compare myself.

Not so great with matte papers, but gorgeous colors on glossy. Can leave off for weeks and no problems with head clogs  I had a custom profile made for my paper which made a huge difference in color accuracy.

Build quality is not that great with rather flimsy-feeling plastic covers and trays, don't know if the current "pro" 13" models are better. Haven't had any problems, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up