Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!  (Read 10587 times)

DMT

LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:48:09 pm »

I use both Mac and XP computers, but have done all my printing from Windows using Qimage (color management off on the Epson 3800) with perfect results.  Need to do package printing in LR from my MacBook Pro on location, but with LR 2/3 (and CS 4/5) it's not possible to turn off color management (as has been discussed here at length).  I've Googled the subject and just can't find a solution *at all*.  Wouldn't mind printing to my 7800 from the Mac as well (trying to be fully emancipated from Windoze).

How do I print from LR on the Mac?  My output looks like *crap*, and I refuse to load XP on my brand new (still unopened in its box) MBP (have been running XP/Qimage on my two year old MBP to make prints on location).  It blows my mind that this situation exists.  Unbelievable.

Plan on calling Adobe, Epson and Ink Jet Art on Monday but am hoping for guidance here, since this is (apparently) a hot topic for others as well.

francois

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:38:06 am »

Quote from: DMT

How do I print from LR on the Mac?  My output looks like *crap*, and I refuse to load XP on my brand new (still unopened in its box) MBP (have been running XP/Qimage on my two year old MBP to make prints on location).  It blows my mind that this situation exists.  
Please, could explain what "crap" means? Are the colors way off or sharpeness is not what you expected.
FWIT, I've been printing from a Mac running Snow Leopard on a 3800 with no issue (except a few head-strikes with heavy papers).

You might want to visit Eric Chan's website. It's full of useful information on printing with the Epson 3800. Eric (madmanchan) is also a frequent poster on this forum…
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:43:28 am by francois »
Francois

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:22 am »

Francois's advice to look at Eric's site is great advice but I'd like to mention that LR prints to Epson printers on Mac OS X just fine.

You just have a few issues to work out.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:03:47 am »

Please make sure you have the latest Snow Leopard update and have the latest printer drivers installed as well. Earlier OS/driver revisions had some issues with getting correctly color-managed output.
Eric Chan

DMT

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »

The prints are too light and magenta...they look double profiled to me.

Mac OSX 10.5.8, LR3, Epson "Common Updater v7.0" and "Printer Driver v6.11" installed yesterday.  After installation the lined-out options in the Epson printer dialogue disappeared; this would seem to be what is being referenced here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml

Both the canned Epson paper profile and the custom profile I installed look crappy (rendering intent is perceptual).  I'm calibrated using a Color Munki.

To make it amusing, I ran disk utility, repaired permissions and rebooted.  Now when I try to print the printer shows up (it's the only one installed on this Mac) and the job is queued, but status is "stopped".  When I click on resume now I get "Operation Could not be completed.  client-error-not-possible".  That's nice.  Deleting and resending the job had the same results.

Y'all are gonna tell me to update to Snow Leopard, I'll bet.  Can't do this until Monday at the soonest due to client work.  I'm so busy I have a brand new MBP unopened in a box, and so will have two Macs to test from.

The point is that the quality was poor both before and after driver updates, and *now* I can't seem to print at all.  I can run XP on this Mac and print just fine.

Any further steering and assistance is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:48:40 pm by DMT »

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »

If you had features that were lined out it sounds like you had the gimp driver loaded. If the epson is the only printer on your system why don't you reset the printing system and load the driver again. Make sure you are loading the epson driver and not the gimp driver. The epson driver will say "printer settings" or something similar where the gimp driver will say "printer features". Features being the key word that you have the gimp driver loaded. To reset the printer go to the apple/system prefrences/print and fax window. Hold the control key down while you click on your printer icon and reset. Then load the driver.

DMT

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 02:49:00 pm »

Great, I'll try this.  It was not the "Gutenprint" driver, if that's what you mean by "gimp".  Details: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...amp;foid=101455

Not to sound like a noob, but what is the best way to uninstall, delete and fully purge everything-Epson before reloading the drivers totally fresh?  Have only been using Mac a couple years and am still a little fuzzy on some operational housecleaning like this.  I do have "Clean My Mac" installed.

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »

Go to the hard drive/library/printer/epson and dump the whole folder.

tommm

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »

Going back a stage, just wondering if you've done much printing from a mac having read your first post? When I first switched I struggled with the same thing. When printing, the mac dialog box has a bar in the middle which might say "paper settings" or "cover page" or something, this bar has a triangle it which if you click gives various options, one of which is colour handling - this is where you can switch colour management off. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:27:56 pm by tommm »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
If you had features that were lined out it sounds like you had the gimp driver loaded. If the epson is the only printer on your system why don't you reset the printing system and load the driver again. Make sure you are loading the epson driver and not the gimp driver. The epson driver will say "printer settings" or something similar where the gimp driver will say "printer features". Features being the key word that you have the gimp driver loaded. To reset the printer go to the apple/system prefrences/print and fax window. Hold the control key down while you click on your printer icon and reset. Then load the driver.

If you have features lined out you have a non 64bit compliant driver loaded. Run LR in 32bit mode to be able to access the features. You can then save a preset of those driver settings and you can then use that preset if you want to run LR in 64bit mode.

Doyle
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:39:08 pm by Doyle Yoder »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:19 pm »

The prints are too light and magenta...they look double profiled to me.

Mac OSX 10.5.8, LR3, Epson "Common Updater v7.0" and "Printer Driver v6.11" installed yesterday.  After installation the lined-out options in the Epson printer dialogue disappeared; this would seem to be what is being referenced here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml

Both the canned Epson paper profile and the custom profile I installed look crappy (rendering intent is perceptual).  I'm calibrated using a Color Munki.

To make it amusing, I ran disk utility, repaired permissions and rebooted.  Now when I try to print the printer shows up (it's the only one installed on this Mac) and the job is queued, but status is "stopped".  When I click on resume now I get "Operation Could not be completed.  client-error-not-possible".  That's nice.  Deleting and resending the job had the same results.

Y'all are gonna tell me to update to Snow Leopard, I'll bet.  Can't do this until Monday at the soonest due to client work.  I'm so busy I have a brand new MBP unopened in a box, and so will have two Macs to test from.

The point is that the quality was poor both before and after driver updates, and *now* I can't seem to print at all.  I can run XP on this Mac and print just fine.

Any further steering and assistance is appreciated.

The latest driver is 6.57. You might want to try that, but remove printer from Printer and Faxes and delete the Library/Printers/EPSON folder first before you install 6.57.

http://alturl.com/ua26v

Doyle
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:39:47 pm by Doyle Yoder »

DMT

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »

Yes, new to printing on the Mac; have been using Qimage Pro in XP (both inside the Mac and on native XP computers) to print for years.  I do a lot of client work where I need to produce print packages, and also have gotten very close color/density matching with Qimage.  Furthermore, I encountered prints coming out about 10% too dark with CS3/4, which is another known issue (unrelated).  

I'm trying to migrate to a 100% Mac environment, and package printing from LR3 is mission-critical.

The printer dialog box that tommm refers to initially showed the desired Epson options when the middle line was expanded...but they had a line through them.  Installing the new drivers simply removed the desired options (which provide access to "No color management") entirely.  Repairing permissions and reboot led to a total inability to print.

I haven't had time to try the suggested maintenance from there due to deadline editing work, but *definitely* will and I'll report the results.  My only question at this stage is: by purging and reloading the drivers, can this Mac remain in 10.5.8 or must I update to Snow Leopard as well?  If so, that will delay my attempts to establish functionality as finishing client jobs has priority, and then I might as well try it on the new MBP anyway (which has a pristine environment).

This is all very helpful...thanks.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »

There is no reason why you cannot stay with 10.5.8.

Doyle

DMT

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 04:24:01 pm »

It's funny: the only reason I *haven't* updated this Mac's OS is *precisely* because I had heard there were issues with the Epson drivers LOL...

Looks like I'm in that boat anyway.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »

It's funny: the only reason I *haven't* updated this Mac's OS is *precisely* because I had heard there were issues with the Epson drivers LOL...

Looks like I'm in that boat anyway.

You might want to read this.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=34780559

Doyle

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »

I use both Mac and XP computers, but have done all my printing from Windows using Qimage (color management off on the Epson 3800) with perfect results.  Need to do package printing in LR from my MacBook Pro on location, but with LR 2/3 (and CS 4/5) it's not possible to turn off color management (as has been discussed here at length).  I've Googled the subject and just can't find a solution *at all*.  Wouldn't mind printing to my 7800 from the Mac as well (trying to be fully emancipated from Windoze).

How do I print from LR on the Mac?  My output looks like *crap*, and I refuse to load XP on my brand new (still unopened in its box) MBP (have been running XP/Qimage on my two year old MBP to make prints on location).  It blows my mind that this situation exists.  Unbelievable.

Plan on calling Adobe, Epson and Ink Jet Art on Monday but am hoping for guidance here, since this is (apparently) a hot topic for others as well.
Like others, I can print from LR to my 3800 under both Leopard and Snow Leopard without any trouble (I had some problems with SL initially but they were solved completely by resetting the printing system, as has been suggested).

I suspect we'd find it easier to help if you could post some screen shots. Referring to "lined out" options doesn't help me, for one, very much.

Jeremy

DMT

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »

The options available when expanding the middle line are:

Layout
Paper Handling
Cover Page
Scheduler
Summary

There were four or five more available *before* I updated the drivers, but they all had lines through them (crossing them out).

Again, I will not have time to "reset" the printing system until tomorrow; hammering to get jobs out right now and have a wedding to shoot this evening in three hours.  But, again, I very much appreciate any and all ongoing comments, and will definitely post any relevant updates as I work through this.

na goodman

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 07:44:23 pm »

You should have "Printer Settings" if you do not, the driver is not loaded correctly. Here is a screen shot[attachment=23200:3800.jpg]

DMT

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »

THAT"S what I want and don't have!!!  Will delete and reinstall tomorrow...stay tuned...

na goodman

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 08:34:22 pm »

Ok, sorry I just wanted to post it before I left for the evening. Don't reply, I know you are trying to get a job out. Hopefully when  you are done you can get the driver straightened out.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up