Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!  (Read 10595 times)

DMT

LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »

Aside from the density adjustment thing (which is huge for me), these are my questions at this stage:

1) There seems to be no allowance for adjustment of image area printed when a print crop is applied. If the original aspect ratio is 2:3, an 8x10 cuts the sides equally with no way to "move" the image around in the LR print module; it must first be copied in the Develop module and then the aspect ratio for each cropped print applied to each copy.   If you have a single image that needs three or more print sizes (all different aspect ratios), you are bogged down.  Now, multiply that by 100 images...just for one event.  And when you need to create a web gallery and export the finished files with the original aspect ratio...all on deadline...this is a major problem.

2) There seems to be no way you can easily (or perhaps at all) center images on the page.  For example: try dropping a 6.654x10 (native size from the D3 series) image exactly on the center of an 8.5x11 cut sheet.  You can't do it without dropping the length less than ten inches, and the procedure is clunky as well.  I use precut custom mats for some of my print work, so this is a real issue.  This is easy to do in Windoze (although I have not tried to do it from LR in XP).  I think this issue was discussed here years ago at some point.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:13:12 pm by DMT »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

Quote from: DMT
1) There seems to be no allowance for adjustment of image area printed when a print crop is applied. If the original aspect ratio is 2:3, an 8x10 cuts the sides equally with no way to "move" the image around in the LR print module; it must first be copied in the Develop module and then the aspect ratio for each cropped print applied to each copy.   If you have a single image that needs three or more print sizes (all different aspect ratios), you are bogged down.  Now, multiply that by 100 images...just for one event.  And when you need to create a web gallery and export the finished files with the original aspect ratio...all on deadline...this is a major problem.

2) There seems to be no way you can easily (or perhaps at all) center images on the page.  For example: try dropping a 6.654x10 (native size from the D3 series) image exactly on the center of an 8.5x11 cut sheet.  You can't do it without dropping the length less than ten inches, and the procedure is clunky as well.  I use precut custom mats for some of my print work, so this is a real issue.  This is easy to do in Windoze.

1. If I understand you, once you crop the image into a size within the print template in Custom Package, you can move it around within those boundaries. You have to turn off “Lock to Photo Aspect Ratio“. Then move the boundary box the size you wish. Command/Control drag inside to move the image about to “crop” it to the boundaries of this cell. So you can make the cell first and season to taste moving the photo around to fit that aspect ratio.

2. Should be able to center an image. If you want to resize an existing cell, holding down the Shift key while resizing the bounding box will constrain the ratio of the cell, and holding down Alt/Option resizes from the center point instead of the corner.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DMT

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 04:35:32 pm »

#1: Perfect!  That's what I wanted!

#2: Still not able to center perfectly.  Image edge at top of screen is slightly too close to paper edge (6.654x10 on 8.5x11).  Need image to remain at 10'' long dimension; if I shorten it, it works.

VR

Re: LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 11:20:16 am »

Congrats on your SUCCESS.  This thread went on for a long time and I lost track of the steps that you went through in order to finally declare SUCCESS.  I have the same problem with SL/LR3/Epson - dark and colour cast prints as you and many others, although I am using a different printer than you (Epson stylus R300).  When you have a chance, could you please summarize the steps you followed.  The rest of us frustrated printers will be much obliged.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up