Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!  (Read 10594 times)

madmanchan

• Web
LR 3.0, OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard, Epson 3800: help!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 10:15:58 am »

These are the steps I use to print to my 3800 from 10.5.8:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep....html#lightroom

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...rkflow.html#mac

I will be updating to 10.6.4 in a few days but I don't anticipate this will change the workflow.
Eric Chan

DMT

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 01:49:08 pm »

OK...I've deleted the Epson folder from the Library and removed the printer from Printers and Faxes.

The download link for the latest driver v6.57 does not work from Epson Europe: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetai...D&id=323704

This driver is not available from Epson USA.

Now what?

:0/

DMT

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 01:58:14 pm »

I'm guessing this is because my IP address is in the United States, so Epson Europe is blocking me from downloading...

na goodman

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 02:14:31 pm »

Why don't you go to the US site and download the most current driver there. Try either  the Common Updater V7 or the one before it. You could also check software update and see if the driver update came down that way. The important thing is to install the correct driver when you go to add it in the print and fax window.

DMT

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »

I read on another forum that the newer driver from Europe was preferable to the one from Epson USA for some reason.  Will go ahead with the USA version...

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

Quote from: DMT
I'm guessing this is because my IP address is in the United States, so Epson Europe is blocking me from downloading...

It is not blocking mine. Check your PM.

Doyle

DMT

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 04:09:34 pm »

SUCCESS!!!

Color matching is absolutely spot-on, and density is very, very close (maybe 5% too dark).  Most people would probably think "good enough" or maybe not even notice, but I'm a fanatic about quality and precision.  I have not run monitor calibration in about a month; will have to do that and retest later.  Two questions at this stage:

1) My prior experience printing from CS/LR is that prints were slightly dark (about 10%); that's why I was using Qimage in XP (perfect density match).  I know many others (both personally and online) that were having the same issue, and Epson/Adobe support blamed each other.  In researching my (now resolved) driver issue I came across this same density thing on forums, but have not yet looked at proposed solutions for this that others are using.  Assuming that after calibration that my output is still *slightly* dark (but nonetheless better than previously), is anyone else here experiencing this and what are the possible solutions?

2) Presumably I can make accurate color targets for printer calibration using my ColorMunki through LR3 now that color management in the printer can be turned off, correct?  If my density is slightly off after monitor calibration this would be the next step.

Color is absolutely *stellar*.  You guys have been immensly helpful; I appreciate the feedback.

DMT

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 04:12:12 pm »

Also, I must admit that I have not looked at all the 3800 workflow links provided in this thread; will definitely do my homework now that this thing is actually working and nearly perfect...once I get through my mountain of editing.  Just wondering if there is a quick anser on the density thing (assuming it's not my monitor calibration and paper profile).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:28:41 pm by DMT »

DMT

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 04:23:42 pm »

One more thing:

In the LR3 print module, if I select a Custom Package and drop 2-5x7s on an 8.5x11 page, is there a way I can move the image to change the location of the crop when the print aspect ratio is different from the image's aspect ratio?  This is easily done in Qimage.

In other words, it looks like you have to first crop the image (or make a virtual copy and crop) to the desired aspect ration for the print, then select that matching ratio for the print size you are creating if you want the image cropped precisely to your liking.

Is there any way around this in LR?  It's an extra step that is not good for event photography printing on deadline with the client right there waiting...

DMT

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 04:53:19 pm »

Also, regarding print density and monitor accuracy: I know for a fact that my monitors calibrate properly on multiple machines.  The same files that have printed dark using CS in the past not only have printed properly in Qimage, but a number of those same images (unaltered except for CMYK conversion) have published with perfect density in magazines.  I also did not have this problem using CS2 and older versions of the program.

Apparently, the "Transfer Curve" can be adjusted in CS3+ (I did a quick Google search); can this be done in LR?  Details: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...amp;foid=164015

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:15 am »

Also, regarding print density and monitor accuracy: I know for a fact that my monitors calibrate properly on multiple machines.  The same files that have printed dark using CS in the past not only have printed properly in Qimage, but a number of those same images (unaltered except for CMYK conversion) have published with perfect density in magazines.  I also did not have this problem using CS2 and older versions of the program.

Apparently, the "Transfer Curve" can be adjusted in CS3+ (I did a quick Google search); can this be done in LR?  Details: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...amp;foid=164015

I am going to assume you are now using the 6.57 version driver even though you have not bothered to reply.

Doyle
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:00:12 pm by Doyle Yoder »

DMT

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »

Sorry that wasn't clear in my multiple replies above...I had success with (USA) driver v6.11 and common updater v7.0 after purging everything Epson from the system.

The link to the European driver works for me now...is there a compelling reason to install it?

Have not progressed further researching my follow-up questions, but I have to produce several print orders this afternoon and so will be able to bring more attention to bear on the final fine-tuning.  Again, output is *very* good and I'm sure would be acceptable to most users (95%+ density match).  Color is perfect.

na goodman

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 04:31:56 pm »

There is no reason to download the European driver when you already have the US driver installed and it is working properly. In fact they should now be the same. People were only trying to download the European driver because it came out sooner than the US Epson website. In fact, even though you ran the V7 updater, it is going to show you still have the 6.11 driver installed. Epson states that in their brief summary of what's happening.

DMT

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

Great, thanks.  Setting up my new MacBook Pro at the moment...will be interesting to compare print output from both MBPs (older one is on Leopard).

DMT

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 11:48:25 pm »

Okay, new MBP is dialed in with programs loaded (not getting orders printed out, though, LOL).

Same result: perfect color, very slightly dark.

Is there ANY WAY to force the printer output to be about 5% lighter and lock that in as a default setting when using LR?  

And is there a way to CENTER the image on the page like you can in Windoze?  This seems so basic, but I can't get the sliders to center a 10" long image on an 11" long page.  So easy when there is check box to "center image".  *sigh*

Will need to research this, but any easy answers are appreciated.

DMT

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:57 am »

Was able to center (almost perfectly) a 6.654x10 image on an 8.5x11 sheet using "Custom Package" and then fudging the cell height to 9.87".  It would be better to get the full 10" when I'm dropping the print into one of my custom, precut mats.  Will need to confirm if centering this kind of print can be done with CS5 on the Mac.

This is a pretty clunky print workflow.  Still need to read/research.  Digging into some 5x7 production in the meantime; at least that's easy.

DMT

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 11:42:43 am »

Have not yet tried making custom paper profiles from the Mac(s).  It would be great if this solved the density issue, but since the current profile was generated using the same methodology (just with a different OS) I'm guessing probably not.

Again, is there any way to adjust the "Transfer Curve" or make any kind of (very minor) output adjustment to print density from LR with everything properly profiled and printer color management turned off (like there is in Qimage)?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »

2) Presumably I can make accurate color targets for printer calibration using my ColorMunki through LR3 now that color management in the printer can be turned off, correct?  If my density is slightly off after monitor calibration this would be the next step.

You can use a profile you’ve built in ColorMunki in LR but you have to print the target using the Munki software for a number of reasons (one being, LR doesn’t have a No Color Management option).

As for the density, view the print in a number of different lighting environments. Look a tad too dark? OR its just a bit darker than the display? Big difference. If the later, adjust the display luminance lower or raise the print viewing luminance to result in a visual match.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DMT

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 01:57:57 pm »

Yeah, different viewing media (LCD vs print), and amount of ambient light makes a huge difference, of course.  I'm aware of all that.

I'd still like to adjust my print output density by 2-4% lighter...and it seems there's no way to do this.

Will have time to create new paper profiles next week; about to jump eyeballs-deep into MotoGP this week...and I still need to edit the wedding I shot.  But I'm fully migrated onto the new Mac and print output is very, very good, so I'm mostly there.  There other thing is producing print packages they way I want them...and LR seems very limited compared to Qimage.  Is there another program (short of getting a RIP) that could run in the Mac environment for professional package printing?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:58:55 pm by DMT »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »

What is it that LR3 doesn’t provide that you need?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up