Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get More From Z3100 Cartridges  (Read 1232 times)

jacunivac

Get More From Z3100 Cartridges
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »

About a week ago I started getting ink supply low on two of my ink cartridges. Next came the out of ink on one and printing came to a halt. I went to the front panel, selected change ink, took out the empty cartridge, shook the hell out of it. I put it back in and it printed 12 24 X 36 prints. Then the second ran out. Did the same thing. Printed 8 more. All of the prints looked very good. Then I had one of the two run out. Shook it but nothing. I have a big box of supposedly empty cartridges hoping some day I could get a discount turning them in but none of my local office supply stores carry the big Z3100 cartridges. I took one out of the box of discards, shook it, put it in, voile´printing again. I don't recommend this as a way to operate out of a box of empties but, if you ever get the out message, remove, shake, keep your fingers crossed, put it back in and maybe you'll have the same experience I did.

With this economy I don't always have an extra full cartridge lying around. It takes at least a day to get one shipped.

Jack

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

I know the ink is in a bladder - but i'd be concerned about introducing air in the supply lines.......

Damir

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:11:33 am »

It is possible to take out of used Z3100 cartridges up to 10 ml of ink that remain in plastic parts of the cartridge.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:13 am »

You know because we have 12 channels a lot of time we won't even be using one of those inks. So, I big factor in this is how big is the print you are doing and how much of that particular channel is being utilized for that file.

Like with Epsons the "LOW warning comes up ridiculously early in most cases. I keep an eye on the driver stats in the software.

And, I agree I've been doing this remove, shake, reinstall, procedure for a couple of years now and it does work. Just make sure you are not doing a large print that would demand a lot of that particular channel. The light gray is an example of a channel that uses a lot of ink.

When a channel runs completely dry the new firmware allows you to stop in the middle of a print and replace the cart at that time, picking up where you stopped. However, I've had mixed results with doing that. Sometimes there is a light strip evident that destroys the print, while other times there isn't.

What is the experience you guys have had with running out of a channel during printing?

john

Quote from: Damir
It is possible to take out of used Z3100 cartridges up to 10 ml of ink that remain in plastic parts of the cartridge.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:38:06 pm »

I think I've only run out in the middle of a print four or five times, but have yet to see a line from doing so.  I'm always standing by for a very quick ink change, though, which I'm sure helps some.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »

Quote from: deanwork
What is the experience you guys have had with running out of a channel during printing?

john

I always keep an eye on the ML per cart left if it is labeled Low. It isn't hard to estimate whether a printrun will go through if 10 ml per square meter, say 1 ML per square foot, is the average ink use in total. It has not happened often that a channel runs dry but on Photorag I couldn't see the transfer from one cart to the new one. Carts near empty are shaken and used for the smaller jobs. Some bags end in the CIS I made for the HP Officejet.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Pages: [1]   Go Up