Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The burden of the arquitecture photographer  (Read 4116 times)

Rob C

The burden of the arquitecture photographer
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
The hardness of a single source of light depends on the (angular) size of the light source, and, as the subtended angle of the moon (as observed from the earth ) is similar to that of the sun, (the sun and moon look the same size), the hardness should be similar.

That's what I was thinking, along with the idea that being far less brilliant a source, there's likely to be less natural fill floating about either, perhaps rendering an even more contrasty image. But I just don't know - never even thought of shooting like that.

On the other hand, the old moon does tear across the heavens pretty rapidly, so long exposures may actually povide a sort of fill from the same light source as it shifts around static objects and illuminates from varying angles - a bit like the moving hand-lamp technique we used to use to paint with light...

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

The burden of the arquitecture photographer
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
That's what I was thinking, along with the idea that being far less brilliant a source, there's likely to be less natural fill floating about either, perhaps rendering an even more contrasty image. But I just don't know - never even thought of shooting like that.

On the other hand, the old moon does tear across the heavens pretty rapidly, so long exposures may actually povide a sort of fill from the same light source as it shifts around static objects and illuminates from varying angles - a bit like the moving hand-lamp technique we used to use to paint with light...

Rob C
I carefully said "a single light source" ... and the daytime temperature means that you are more likely to get cloud fill in the day, making a typical (UK) day with white clouds give a softer light due to cloud fill... Central Australia, Spain and Vegas can be different.

P.S. When I was at Useless Loop, (Westernmost point of Australia) ...after a few week I saw something in the sky that I had not seen for a long time ... it was a cloud!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up