Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 owners - which driver are you using?  (Read 1540 times)

Roscolo

z3100 owners - which driver are you using?
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:33:42 pm »

I asked about the difference between the raster driver and HP GL/2 driver in another post. After doing some research, still not sure if one is better than the other for printing photos on z3100, so I will just ask all z3100 owners which driver are you using? The raster driver or the HP GL/2 driver?

brianrybolt

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
I asked about the difference between the raster driver and HP GL/2 driver in another post. After doing some research, still not sure if one is better than the other for printing photos on z3100, so I will just ask all z3100 owners which driver are you using? The raster driver or the HP GL/2 driver?

I'm using the Raster driver and very happy with it.  

You may have already thought about this but maybe you could ask HP or your local dealer if anyone near you also has a z3100 with GL/2 driver and then you could see for yourself.

Good luck,

Brian

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:23:19 pm »

Quote from: brianrybolt
I'm using the Raster driver and very happy with it.  

You may have already thought about this but maybe you could ask HP or your local dealer if anyone near you also has a z3100 with GL/2 driver and then you could see for yourself.

Good luck,

Brian
Raster driver here, too.  I don't even really understand what the HP-GL/2 driver is for.

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:44:41 pm »

Yeah, I don't know the difference either, but I'm using the GL/2 driver I think because I had some printing issue way back when and just changed the driver and some settings looking for a solution and it worked and I was back up and printing again. Changing to the GL/2 driver may or may not have been "the fix." And that's why I'm always paranoid about firmware / driver updates, changes. If it's working, I've learned sometimes it's best to not tinker with it.

If I didn't have a customer who wants some prints done on this Ilford Gold baryta paper I probably would leave it alone. I'm trying to get all of my jobs cleared through so if something goes wrong updating driver / firmware I'll have enough time to work on it and get it all back online.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:17:00 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Yeah, I don't know the difference either, but I'm using the GL/2 driver I think because I had some printing issue way back when and just changed the driver and some settings looking for a solution and it worked and I was back up and printing again. Changing to the GL/2 driver may or may not have been "the fix." And that's why I'm always paranoid about firmware / driver updates, changes. If it's working, I've learned sometimes it's best to not tinker with it.

If I didn't have a customer who wants some prints done on this Ilford Gold baryta paper I probably would leave it alone. I'm trying to get all of my jobs cleared through so if something goes wrong updating driver / firmware I'll have enough time to work on it and get it all back online.

With a plain Z model the print length is more limited. The optional HPGL-2 driver extends that when installed but I think you do not actually need to print through that driver to get that effect. The PCL3 driver can be used. With the PS models that condition is available anyway. I use the PCL3 driver on the Z3200PS and on the plain Z3100. As the last doesn't have the optional HPGL-2 driver I can not use it for lengths above approx. 10 feet. The HPGL-2 driver is intended for CAD print jobs.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »

Z3100, PCL3 out of Q-Image

KevinWilliams

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:42:36 am »

I am using the Shiraz RIP for Mac and it works wonders. I love it for nesting, tiling and just overall work flow for all my jobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up