Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony PMW-EX1R Landscape Videocam?  (Read 6489 times)

Robert Moore

Sony PMW-EX1R Landscape Videocam?
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:14:09 pm »

I have recently been taken by video as an addition to MFDB landscapes. Wonder where to go at a reasonable cost for high quality video in a luggable size camera.
I presently shoot H3DII 39, Alpa TC and A900 for landscapes and environmental portraits as a hobby. 30 years on I have accumulated a lot of equipment piecemeal at
an acceptable cost to me.

As I have searched through this area I am left with a few questions before I jump. I will be editing with CS 5 Master Suite on Mac OS 10.6.4 with CUDA EVGA card and
16 GB memory....multiple terrabytes of disk. I have ruled out the simple GH1 with hack due to problematic card capture and a lack of a standard within that community
as they struggle to define a stable point just this side of the bleeding edge. DSLR capture at present seems to be a mishmash of cobbled equipment that works but I would prefer
it to mature a bit. Having read Michael's comments on videocameras and inherent drawbacks for DSLR I think I will look for a dedicated videocam.

So having released a number of bodies and lenses and scanner I have 10-12 K that I could invest - not necessarily all in video at once.

The questions that I have center on two cameras at present...somewhat different in scale.

1st Canon XH-G1 with SDi to nanoflash at high bit rates....small and portable but the form factor is hard for me to warm up to and the LCD and viewfinder LCD seem marginal for focus determination.
Also am unsure about stability of tape in harsh environments and as an archival medium due to progressively increased dropouts. Lifespan for a tape camera? Do I need a
tape deck to limit time on camera?

2nd Sony PMW-EX1R to SxS cards or nanoflash eventually per SDI for higher bit rates. Too Big? Manageable from a short day hike... no technical climbing nor long distances?
Suggestions for compatible carry bags and peripherals would be most helpful. Best mikes for medium distance unidirectional capture? Matt box or just the stock lens hood?
Filters recommended and format - screw in or in combination with the matt box. Does this camera need IR Cut filtration? Best archival backup while out? Best video head and
can I use my larger CF Gitzo or a REIS?

So a smaller 3 CCD 1/3 chip vs a larger 3 CMOS 1/2 chip camera with attendant expense and I assume complexity. Magic bullet(?) effects with the XH-A1(s) remind me of film
and  are reminiscent of my old 1D or the Leica Digital Module R. The EX1R seems much more coherent with larger grand scale scenes with a beautiful rendering and greater DR.

Sorry for the runon....I am loathe to drop a bundle without adequate direction.

Thoughts and council?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:03 am »

Canon 5dmk2 ?

great lenses including T/S etc

The Ex1 comes into its own with the power zoom and decent onboard sound for journailsm

You will also feel happy with the controls of an SLR and if you are really hiking then do stills on it too

you will need a fluid head gitzo sticks may be fine

I have a miller solo sticks with arrow head, use it for all vid stuff and for stills (h1 D3) too

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Robert Moore

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
Canon 5dmk2 ?

great lenses including T/S etc

The Ex1 comes into its own with the power zoom and decent onboard sound for journailsm

You will also feel happy with the controls of an SLR and if you are really hiking then do stills on it too

you will need a fluid head gitzo sticks may be fine

I have a miller solo sticks with arrow head, use it for all vid stuff and for stills (h1 D3) too

S

I have thought of returning to the Canon 5d(mkii) but have a lot invested in Sony alpha and would prefer to
see what they offer at some point.

Thought I would look at dedicated camcorders until they show their hand...although if the new NEX is any indication
and they stay with 60i I may jump.

Thanks for the reply...all of the video I have see looks very good...as I am not into a lot of movement or sports.

Bob

michael

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »

If the Sony EX series interests you, have a look at Canon's new XF300. I'll have my review online in a couple of weeks. Very impressive! It was also just certified by the BBC for broadcast use, a first for a camera in this class.

For an inexpensive camcorder with very high quality, have a look at the Panasonic TM700.

Video DSLRs produce some nice video, and are great for when you need that narrow DOF narrative film look, but they are lousy video cameras. Try an EX or FX and you'll see what I mean.

But of course these are bulky and heavy, and in the $7K price range. No simple answers.

Michael

Robert Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:12:14 pm »

Quote from: michael
If the Sony EX series interests you, have a look at Canon's new XF300. I'll have my review online in a couple of weeks. Very impressive! It was also just certified by the BBC for broadcast use, a first for a camera in this class.

For an inexpensive camcorder with very high quality, have a look at the Panasonic TM700.

Video DSLRs produce some nice video, and are great for when you need that narrow DOF narrative film look, but they are lousy video cameras. Try an EX or FX and you'll see what I mean.

But of course these are bulky and heavy, and in the $7K price range. No simple answers.

Michael

Michael,

Not to preempt your review but I was concerned about the 1/3 sensors in the Canon versus the 1/2 in the Sony. Really wondered about the Xh G1 with SDI to nanoflash as a
"starter cam"...smaller and can move the nano down the road. The Pana TM700 is unavailable in Dallas....we only have 2 x 10^6 people and no Panasonic dealer for the mid range cameras.
No pro-shop carries it and the low end does not either.

The Fuji lens appeals to me due to the manual side of it....do you feel the Canon matches it for microcontrast and resolution?

Its been a long week and I feel like throwing something or buying something....just sold 2 cameras three lenses and a Hasselblad H343 scanner so I can really
get whatever will work best without any additional outlay of capital. That is a bad place to be as there seems to be a lot of options.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Bob

michael

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »

I wouldn't be concerned about the 1/3rd" sensors. The BBC wasn't. Image quality is outstanding, though the EX1 / EX3 may have about a .5 stop edge.

We haven't yet had a chance to do a side by side against our two EX1s, but as is always the case, real world results speak for themselves, not specs.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:46:58 pm by michael »

Robert Moore

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »

I wouldn't be concerned about the 1/3rd" sensors. The BBC wasn't. Image quality is outstanding, though the EX1 / EX3 may have about a .5 stop edge.

We haven't yet had a chance to do a side by side against our two EX1s, but as is always the case, real world results speak for themselves, not specs.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

My local dealer is waiting for first delivery. I will check them out.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:55:49 pm by Robert Moore »

Robert Moore

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »

Michael

Tried a Xh A1s and was somewhat underwhelmed with the files...LCD was very difficult to judge exposure and focus.

Picked up an EX1R today and am totally happy with the screen layout and files....really feels like I am shooting with
a recent DSLr...so clean in lower light and so easy to judge focus.

The XF300 may be at this level but my search is over...also pleased with the large volume of information and support
for this mature system.

Now to figure out Picture Profiles!

Thanks for your insight.

Bob

Robert Moore

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:34:15 pm »

Quote from: Robert Moore
Picked up an EX1R today...

Now to figure out Picture Profiles!

Thanks for your insight.

Bob

Chris or MIchael,

In reading about PP I have found a lot of direction not all of it completely clear....

I have settled into a couple of Alister Chapman's suggested profiles for landscapes and interior low contrast situations.

My question relates a bit to postprocess of the video files. Do you have a setting that most closely approximates RAW
and would allow the largest capture of dynamic range without crushing blacks....i.e. Cinegamma 1, Knee at 85, ... etc?
I would prefer to capture the most information and have the most malleable data for processing after the fact. I am not
in a production environment and have the time to work the files. My workflow will be in CS 5 Master Suite with Mac.

Thanks,

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up