Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: owl  (Read 1429 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
owl
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »

Taken in South Africa earlier this year, illuminated only by the ranger's torch. Does anyone know what it is? Mike? Ed?

[attachment=23142:ll.jpg]

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

owl
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:31 pm »

I think it is a Spotted Eagle Owl (Bubo Africanus).  Had to look that up in Williams & Arlott.  Not a bad shot, considering the lighting.

Ed

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
owl
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:28:52 am »

Yes, it definitely looks to be an Eagle-owl.  Could be a Cape Eagle-owl (Bubo capensis)...  Definitely not a Great Eagle-owl, though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Phil Indeblanc

owl
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:06 am »

Quote from: kikashi
Taken in South Africa earlier this year, illuminated only by the ranger's torch. Does anyone know what it is? Mike? Ed?

Jeremy

I think these 2 guys are on the right track...otherwise I would have to guess its a Pussycatswallowtail butterfly
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:18:21 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
owl
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:24:43 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
I think it is a Spotted Eagle Owl (Bubo Africanus).  Had to look that up in Williams & Arlott.  Not a bad shot, considering the lighting.

Ed
Thanks, Ed & Mike. ISO3200 makes many things possible!

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

owl
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:17:00 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Yes, it definitely looks to be an Eagle-owl.  Could be a Cape Eagle-owl (Bubo capensis)...  Definitely not a Great Eagle-owl, though.

Mike.
Yes, hard to tell from the photo whether it is a Cape or Spotted Eagle Owl.  The Cape is quite a bit bigger than the Spotted (0.9 - 1.8Kg vs. 0.5 - 0.9Kg) and tends to be found in mountainous areas in South Africa and Namibia only.  The Spotted is found in Savannah and woodland virtually everywhere south of Kenya.

Bet you all wanted to know that...  

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
owl
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:06 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
Yes, hard to tell from the photo whether it is a Cape or Spotted Eagle Owl.  The Cape is quite a bit bigger than the Spotted (0.9 - 1.8Kg vs. 0.5 - 0.9Kg) and tends to be found in mountainous areas in South Africa and Namibia only.  The Spotted is found in Savannah and woodland virtually everywhere south of Kenya.

Bet you all wanted to know that...  
A day without a new fact is incomplete!

The photo was taken in March/April in Madikwe, which is on the South African border with Botswana. As far as I recall, the owl was about a foot high.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
owl
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
A day without a new fact is incomplete!

The photo was taken in March/April in Madikwe, which is on the South African border with Botswana. As far as I recall, the owl was about a foot high.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

You should have brought a scale with you to weigh the owl! Then we could tell which kind it is (unless it was exactly 0.9Kg).   

Eric

Nice shot.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up