Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 Question  (Read 3561 times)

BobFisher

D700 Question
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:35:46 am »

My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that when combining the in body battery of the D700 with the battery in the grip and having the battery order set up to use the grip first that when the battery in the grip dies, the battery in the body will take over until a new battery can be put into the grip.  The couple times I've had the grip battery die in the middle of a shoot, that hasn't happened.  The camera has just stopped working.  

Is my belief on battery usage correct?  Am I missing something?

Having been a Canon shooter for over 10 years and a Nikon shooter for less than 6 months, I'm still trying to figure out some of the Nikon quirks.

Thanks.

raysem

• http://www.raysemenoffphotography.com
D700 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:09:07 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that when combining the in body battery of the D700 with the battery in the grip and having the battery order set up to use the grip first that when the battery in the grip dies, the battery in the body will take over until a new battery can be put into the grip. The couple times I've had the grip battery die in the middle of a shoot, that hasn't happened. The camera has just stopped working.

Is my belief on battery usage correct? Am I missing something?

Having been a Canon shooter for over 10 years and a Nikon shooter for less than 6 months, I'm still trying to figure out some of the Nikon quirks.

Thanks.

My D700 does switch batteries automatically.  I have the battery order set to grip first, body second.  When the battery in the grip gets low, the camera automatically switches to the battery in the body.  I've had this happen many, many times with no problems at all.

I always "rotate" the two batteries - exchanging the body battery for the grip battery after a shoot.  I don't think that procedure is written anywhere, it's just my idea of "evening out" the battery usage.

If your D700 isn't switching the batteries automatically, there may be problems with the battery that's in the camera, or with the camera power circuitry.

Try swapping the batteries (from grip to body) and see if you get the same result.....
-- Ray --

Photographing the world at 53 degrees north.
http://www.raysemenoffphotography.com

BobFisher

D700 Question
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »

Quote from: raysem
My D700 does switch batteries automatically.  I have the battery order set to grip first, body second.  When the battery in the grip gets low, the camera automatically switches to the battery in the body.  I've had this happen many, many times with no problems at all.

I always "rotate" the two batteries - exchanging the body battery for the grip battery after a shoot.  I don't think that procedure is written anywhere, it's just my idea of "evening out" the battery usage.

If your D700 isn't switching the batteries automatically, there may be problems with the battery that's in the camera, or with the camera power circuitry.

Try swapping the batteries (from grip to body) and see if you get the same result.....

I use the EL4a batteries in the grip so can't switch them.  Only have 1 of the standard batts.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
D700 Question
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:16:26 pm »

In my D300 with the same grip I've noticed that even with a good battery in the grip set to drain first, there will be a trickle discharge on the battery in the body, so that sometimes I find a drained battery in the camera body.  I do the same as raysem and rotate my batteries frequently.

xdamr

D700 Question
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:24 am »

Quote from: BobFisher
My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that when combining the in body battery of the D700 with the battery in the grip and having the battery order set up to use the grip first that when the battery in the grip dies, the battery in the body will take over until a new battery can be put into the grip.  The couple times I've had the grip battery die in the middle of a shoot, that hasn't happened.  The camera has just stopped working.  

Is my belief on battery usage correct?  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Possibly a silly question but are you sure you have the right options set?  Custom setting D1 deals with the order of battery use, whether grip first or body first.  If you have the camera set to use the body battery first then that would account for the camera dying on you when the MB-D10 battery is exhausted - at this point both batteries will be discharged.  

--Donald

BobFisher

D700 Question
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:45:05 am »

Quote from: xdamr
Possibly a silly question but are you sure you have the right options set?  Custom setting D1 deals with the order of battery use, whether grip first or body first.  If you have the camera set to use the body battery first then that would account for the camera dying on you when the MB-D10 battery is exhausted - at this point both batteries will be discharged.  

--Donald

Not a silly question.  But yes, I'm sure the setting is right.

jankeirse

Re: D700 Question
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »

I think if you use el4a batteries it won't switch (my guess is because you can't get 8fps.) At least that's my experience.
Remove the battery from the grip and it will actually start working again!

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:58 am »

Thanks all; I have a new 300S and haven't purchased the grip yet.
Camera doesn't feel right; Since my F3 I've always used a motor drive, then grips.

Your information helps. I hadn't considered that the spare battery from my D80 would work in the D300 grip. I know. Read the manual. :)

DaveL

Destiny

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:45 am »

Ive noticed that even if you have a right battery in the grip to get 8fps and you still have the in-camera battery set up as the first one to use up d700 won't shoot 8fps.
It has to have the grip battery as the primary to do it.
...::: D700 :: N18-35 3.5-4.5 :: N35 1.8 :: N85 1.8 :: N75-150mm 3.5 :::...

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:53 am »

I think if you use el4a batteries it won't switch (my guess is because you can't get 8fps.) At least that's my experience.
Remove the battery from the grip and it will actually start working again!

OK, now that's interesting.  I am using 4a batteries in the grip.  Unfortunately I don't have a regular battery to test but I do have some AA batts so can load those and see if it switches over. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up