Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas needed - token gifts to offer when traveling  (Read 7492 times)

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
Ideas needed - token gifts to offer when traveling
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:55:48 pm »

I'm travelling to Yunnan and Sichuan provinces in China in a few weeks, and have been thinking that I'd like to take small gifts to hand out to locals who help out, pose for photographs - whatever.

But I'm not really sure what to bring. Anyone have any ideas, or experiences that would apply?

Brent

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

Quote from: Brent McCombs
I'm travelling to Yunnan and Sichuan provinces in China in a few weeks, and have been thinking that I'd like to take small gifts to hand out to locals who help out, pose for photographs - whatever.

But I'm not really sure what to bring. Anyone have any ideas, or experiences that would apply?

Brent

Money?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:57:14 am »

Always a bad idea, as it creates a precedent on one hand, and creates expectation with the other.  With children it's sometimes suggested that one bring school supplies - but bring them directly to the school.  Offer a smile, a thank-you, and show them their picture on the LCD.

My $0.02

Mike.

If your mind is attuned t

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:26 am »

I was wondering about the precedent notion. Last thing I want is to create an entourage of kids pestering me while I try to shoot. On the other hand, for anyone who goes out of their way, it might be nice to have a few tokens. Perhaps I just ought to hand them out sparingly.

Quote from: wolfnowl
Always a bad idea, as it creates a precedent on one hand, and creates expectation with the other.  With children it's sometimes suggested that one bring school supplies - but bring them directly to the school.  Offer a smile, a thank-you, and show them their picture on the LCD.

My $0.02

Mike.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:54:34 am »

If you look at horvatland.com you'll eventually read where Frank Horvat chucks handfulls of coins out onto the street as he runs and makes his escape from the 'natives' of Calcutta...

I think two things about this:

1. it is intrusive to be there;
2. it is rather redolent of a them and us mindset and a form of pious pity.

In your case, maybe the best you can do is be there first, and only if it feels okay to shoot then do so, but not if you think it's going to bother anybody or that it may be  necessary to buy peace. If you do think that, it's probably wrong to shoot; simply keep the camera in your pocket. I trust you are not going armed like a mercenary soldier. I remember sitting in the Diani Beach Hotel in Mombasa when a collection of rather reddish/white people walked across the room, in single file, in their safari suits. The choked giggles were palpable if only slightly audible. All I could think of was the Egyptian Walk. Amazing what you see abroad.

Rob C

Horatio

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:47 am »

I always bring something and it depends on the people you think you will encounter.
As an example the ladies in Bhutan wear brooches to fasten their blouses. You can find these items at yard sales or your local thrift stores (I am collecting them now for a future trip)
Monks and nuns in monasteries can always use warm socks, woolen hats.
On a recent trip to Guizhou China I brought along sewing kits for the Changjiao miao.
I am also a believer in rewarding the special people who take the time to act as a model in better light or location, a small amount of money, at least to me.
I search for photos of the destination and see what the people are wearing, and most enjoy that special souvenir from your home country.
Take lots of Canada pins. In Pakistan the Kalash girls used them for ear rings.
I also brought along some playing cards and finger puppets for children when in China.
Hats and or Tee shirts for a guide, Lipstick ( dark colours) and ear rings, large hooped ones.
Part of the fun in planning your trip.
Have a great trip,
Kieron
Vanishing Cultures Photography
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:41:08 am by Horatio »
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:08:36 am »

Brent

Chocolates or candy? it may become messy in the pockets though....In any case - most products are often made in china! so you may end up handing them their own stuff available locally for far cheaper than what you may end up paying for it here. Check out Oriental Trading for ideas...
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

tonysmith

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »

Brent

Someone (another Canadian) recently told me they had success in a similar situation giving Canada pins which can be bought very cheaply at a dime store. I tried it myself on a recent trip abroad, and it worked well.

Horatio

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

The other items that people enjoyed and needed were toothbrushes.
Talk to your dentist about donating some.
Kieron
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

When I was on a photo tour to Cuba several years ago I took  Rulers (the wooden kind)  pens, balsa wood airplanes and sport watches (they were less than a dollar each)

After photographing (especially kids) I tried to communicate and say thankyou  I gave one lad. of course after his dad said ok or nodded ok, (he was working with his dad on the farm ploweing the field behind the oxen). That boy had the hugest smile on his face as we left.

I would probably agree with attracting hoards of street kids if you are not careful.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:02 am »

How about prints from the little polaroid printer. I think it is called a zink. I bluetooth mine to my Blackberry and print off that. People seem to like it.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:39:31 am »

Very good tips here... will try to remember next time I visit North America!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:02:40 am by EduPerez »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »

Quote from: EduPerez
Very good tips here... will try to remember next time I visit North America!

Eduardo

I almost fell of my butaca - these types of posts should always carry danger signs.

Using such words from the expanded lexicon will probably indicate I've been down to the travel agent today, looking at prices for ferries doing idas and vueltas; you will not be surprised to learn (a contradiction there - how can you learn as you already know?) that the girl's parting words were to be very careful about the boys on motorbikes with their sharp instruments and highly developed sense of puncture spotting...

Trasmediterranea has become very sophisticated with its charges now: was a time you could telephone and alter your return trip at no cost as long as within the same pricing season; now, if you want flexible travel, you are expected to buy a more expensive ticket at €509,70 if thinking about the end of September. The normal camarote return is €455,70 and not a butaca in sight, but God help you if you want to change your return date. Would it be better to stay in the rain in France or pay the penalty and return early? How complex is life.

Rob C

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 07:09:17 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Eduardo

I almost fell of my butaca - these types of posts should always carry danger signs.
Done!

Quote from: Rob C
Using such words from the expanded lexicon will probably indicate I've been down to the travel agent today, looking at prices for ferries doing idas and vueltas; you will not be surprised to learn (a contradiction there - how can you learn as you already know?) that the girl's parting words were to be very careful about the boys on motorbikes with their sharp instruments and highly developed sense of puncture spotting...
Not only mopeds... some of them travel along the motorways / highways in their cars, warning drivers about false flat tyres.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
Done!

Not only mopeds... some of them travel along the motorways / highways in their cars, warning drivers about false flat tyres.

Thanks for the tip: I hadn't realised that was also a technique - even more frightening out in the wilds of the autopista with nobody about to stop and give you some help gainst the 'helpers'! But I should have suspected that by myself - it's a perfect progression of the same business model. I shall be aware!

Ciao

Rob C

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Re: Ideas needed - token gifts to offer when traveling
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 10:25:15 am »

When I was in Cuba another photographer was giving out gold U.S. dollar coins  (these were well received by those that helped him out at various times)  Pencils might also be well received
I would think that practical items that the locals could actually put to use in their daily lives would be most appreciated

MattDubuque

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:40 am »

Will you be selling these pictures for a profit?  If you hope to, you are harvesting their images and their culture for your personal gain.

If you harvest their images and their culture for your personal gain and profit, it behooves you to give something in return.

Most likely, the most photogenic people you find will be desperately poor.  As such, toothbrushes and aspirin seem appropriate, at a minimum.

In Latin America, I found that handing out baseballs was a gift truly appreciated, even by the girls who could give them to their brothers.

This is my view.  Others may disagree.  That is their right.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

Handing out gifts sets a precedent and not a good one, from what I have experienced. Handing out rulers/ or other trivial things in exchange for images that will/ might earn revenue just seems wrong to me.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up