Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which software is the most accurate for gamut volume calculation?  (Read 10308 times)

probep

I know only four programs that calculate profile's gamut volume: Imatest GamutVision, CHROMIX ColorThink, BabelColor PatchTool and ICCView (ArgyllCMS-based, for ICC v.2 only). Are there enything else?
But they show very different results.
For example, for canned "SPR2880 UPrmLstr Photo.icc" profile (Epson Premium Luster Paper on Epson R2880 printer) they show:
GamutVision - 890,000 cubic dE;
ColorThink Pro - 773,000 cubic dE;
PatchTool - 703,000 cubic dE;
ICCView - 764,000  cubic dE.

890,000 max. vs. 703,000 min. !!

Which program is the most accurate?
And which one do you prefer and why?

Pat Herold

Which software is the most accurate for gamut volume calculation?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »

I suspect the reason why no one has responded to this thread is because no one has direct access to the inter workings of all of these programs.  

Also, different software will have different ways of doing things.   I can only speak to ColorThink Pro, so I will limit my comments to that.  ColorThink Pro calculates gamut volume in conjunction with its grapher.  By default the grapher will plot the proofing direction of a profile so that you are able to see the gamut of the device, what the plotted device is capable of reproducing.  We think this is what most people are looking for when they want to plot a printer gamut for example.  Other graphing software will draw the gamut of what a certain profile will give you when printed.  This is not the same as giving you what the printer is capable of.  For this reason, you might find ColorThink Pro giving you a slightly larger gamut volume number than those that calculate a rendered gamut volume.   You'll find more information about this here:

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Management_Myths_26-28

If you are going to look for the rendered gamut volume, you have more questions to ask:  The rendering intent used and the source colorspace both have an influence on how large the gamut of your profile will be, so you need to include this information when comparing.

While the ColorThink Pro gamut calculation should be quite accurate, it is not intended to be some kind of lab-reference for determining absolute volumes.  It is intended to be a quick way to bring up quantifiable relative volume numbers for comparison between profiles.  The accuracy should be high for properly-built, normally behaving profiles like the canned profile in your example - rather than for those with strange twists, folds, spikes or large gaps in the gamut.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »

Quote from: probep
I know only four programs that calculate profile's gamut volume: Imatest GamutVision, CHROMIX ColorThink, BabelColor PatchTool and ICCView (ArgyllCMS-based, for ICC v.2 only). Are there enything else?
But they show very different results.
For example, for canned "SPR2880 UPrmLstr Photo.icc" profile (Epson Premium Luster Paper on Epson R2880 printer) they show:
GamutVision - 890,000 cubic dE;
ColorThink Pro - 773,000 cubic dE;
PatchTool - 703,000 cubic dE;
ICCView - 764,000  cubic dE.

890,000 max. vs. 703,000 min. !!

Which program is the most accurate?
And which one do you prefer and why?

For difficulties in calculating the gamut volume, see Norman Koren. This assumes that the same metric for DeltaE is employed for all the calculations.

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:53 pm »

Quote from: probep

Monaco GamutWorks

probep

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »

Quote from: shewhorn
Monaco GamutWorks
Thank you. Yes, you are right.
I just tried it. For mentioned "SPR2880 UPrmLstr Photo.icc" profile the Monaco GamutWorks (from MonacoPROFILER 4.8.3 bundle) calculated 1,540,000.  Oho. More than  Adobe RGB gamut volume. It's nonsense.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:29:40 pm by probep »
Pages: [1]   Go Up