Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink cast with eye one display  (Read 4075 times)

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
Pink cast with eye one display
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:50:57 am »

I just tried calibrating an apple cinema display with the i1 Display2 and Eye-One Match. About a third of the way through the process of measuring patches the display turned very red and the resulting profile was terribly, awful red—it's not subtle, it's obviously wrong. The target was 6500K, gamma 2.2, luminance 110. When I calibrate to the native White point, the display looks relatively normal.

So I pulled the new NEC PA241w out of the box and tried to build a profile using spectraview and the i1 puck. Same thing—as spectraview was measuring white balance the display turned pink.

So despite passing the Eye One diagnostics, the puck is bad, I assume. But here's thing, after a little googling I'm finding a lot of fairly recent reports of this same behavior. If it's hardware failure, that seems like quite a coincidence.

Anybody here know anything about this?

I'm on a mac btw. (OS X 10.6.4)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:52:45 am by MarkM »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:26 am »

Quote from: MarkM
I just tried calibrating an apple cinema display with the i1 Display2 and Eye-One Match. About a third of the way through the process of measuring patches the display turned very red and the resulting profile was terribly, awful red—it's not subtle, it's obviously wrong. The target was 6500K, gamma 2.2, luminance 110. When I calibrate to the native White point, the display looks relatively normal.

So I pulled the new NEC PA241w out of the box and tried to build a profile using spectraview and the i1 puck. Same thing—as spectraview was measuring white balance the display turned pink.

So despite passing the Eye One diagnostics, the puck is bad, I assume. But here's thing, after a little googling I'm finding a lot of fairly recent reports of this same behavior. If it's hardware failure, that seems like quite a coincidence.

Use Multiprofiler and calibrate the PA241W without a sensor.

The problem of WG CCFL and LED backlit displays wtpt calibration with standard colorimeter was spoken to death, just do a little search.
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....mp;#entry324899
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:31:44 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:02:07 am »

I've run into that problem a few times with my APS puck and software, which is similar to the EyeOne.  Here's a good profile plot to show you what F'ed Up can really look like.  My graph line is normally quite straight.  Not so much, with this profile . . .
You should have seen what the display looked like in running this profile.[attachment=23063:Screen_s...36.26_PM.png]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:03:50 am by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

WombatHorror

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

Quote from: MarkM

Interestingly, when I was looking into what sort of a difference metamerism made between my NEC PA241A (wide gamut) and Samsung 224T (standard gamut) I also went back and calibrated the Samsung with the NEC (i1D2) puck and it came out HORRIBLY red looking and looked nothing at all like how it came out when I used a DTP94b probe.

So much for the claims that their puck can be used fine with alternative software and on other displays. Unless perhaps since you are noticing the same thing with an off the shelf i1D2 and a poster in another thread was claiming that i1D2 tend to way under-read blue that this is just what they do??

I figured when they said they calibrated the NEC pucks they set them to read a matched perfect sRGB standard and then compensate from their in their won software since they said they only work on wide gamuts with their software, but maybe they calibrate them to a reference average for iD2 behavior instead (so those not using NEC puck have a least a shot of their pucks also working?)?

Anyway, for one, it is known that the i1D2 does not do a proper job on a wide gamut unless it has software specially set to match it. But now it also seems that the NEC version, at least, also gives terrible results on even sRGB monitors when used with thid party software and judging by your findings and the others guys maybe even some off the shelf ones do too and th eother reports you are reading too??

Interestingly, the NEC puck using SVII calibrating the NEC and the DTP using CEDP calibrating the Samsung made the two monitors agree FAR more than using the NEC puck on both (or the DTP on both, not surprising since SVII doesn't provide wide gamut matrices for the DTP).

And the NEC puck used with SVII on the NEC PA241W surely does not make things look red. Even with metamerism turned on, grays still don't match what the DTP made the samsung look like, although it's far closer than with metamerism turned off. I'm not sure whether this is an artifact of how hard it is to make a wide gamut display's colors match those on an sRGB display or at this point just down to the DTP+CEDP having been used on one and NEC+SV II on the other. I hope to be able to try an i1Pro on both to make it more even, or at least the i1Pro on the Samsung.

EDIT:

Actually.... looking at a color checker chart in a room with the windows open (to hopefully get something vaguely like D65, but I really need to use a D65 bulb to be sure) the NEC PA241W, as calibrated by the puck using SV II or even just used with the factory sRGB pre-set, seemed to better match than my HDTV as calibrated by DTP94b. But again, I'm not quite sure those conditions were really D65 on the CCC chart.

But it is surely true that using the NEC (i1D2) puck on my sRGB monitors made a mess and yet not when used on a NEC wide gamut monitor using SV II.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:45:19 pm by LarryBaum »
Pages: [1]   Go Up