Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two interpretations of a tree trunk  (Read 1893 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Two interpretations of a tree trunk
« on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »

My first tryout of my new 50 mm lens.
I had wished for even more FOV ...

Which do you like more ?
C&C welcome.

[attachment=23046:IMG_01_Color.jpg][attachment=23045:IMG_01_BW.jpg]

fredjeang

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »

Quote from: ChristophC
My first tryout of my new 50 mm lens.
I had wished for even more FOV ...

Which do you like more ?
C&C welcome.

[attachment=23046:IMG_01_Color.jpg][attachment=23045:IMG_01_BW.jpg]
1 is my favorite.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:47:47 am »

Christoph

I would assume that you are shooting on MF, hence the FOV comment. If this was shot on film, then the reason #1 looks better is self-evident. If you want B/W from film, shoot B/W film, rather than converting from colour. If it was digital, then your B/W conversion needs a lot more work. The image has lost a lot of "pop" and contrast in the process, when it needed to gain it, if anything.

It is a good strong picture, and I like the textures, light and composition. I think it could be very good in B/W, with the right "development".

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

MattDubuque

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:00 am »

I generally refrain from dramatic image manipulation in post.  Just my personal style and beliefs.

I like the first one better.

On an emotional level, for me the first one demonstrates youth and vitality with the bulging biceps and musculature of the trunk and limbs, while the older one connotes a bit more sadness and age, with a bit of wisdom.

Quote from: John R Smith
Christoph

I would assume that you are shooting on MF, hence the FOV comment. If this was shot on film, then the reason #1 looks better is self-evident. If you want B/W from film, shoot B/W film, rather than converting from colour. If it was digital, then your B/W conversion needs a lot more work. The image has lost a lot of "pop" and contrast in the process, when it needed to gain it, if anything.

It is a good strong picture, and I like the textures, light and composition. I think it could be very good in B/W, with the right "development".

John

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:31:17 am »

Quote from: John R Smith

Quote from: MattDubuque
I generally refrain from dramatic image manipulation in post.  Just my personal style and beliefs.
I like the first one better.
On an emotional level, for me the first one demonstrates youth and vitality with the bulging biceps and musculature of the trunk and limbs, while the older one connotes a bit more sadness and age, with a bit of wisdom.

Yes, its 6x9 cm, shot with a Mamiya Universal 50 mm lens on Kodak  negative film (not sure right now if it was NC or VC). Basically I have a  wide angle picture of a tree in mind which I partly managed to realize  here, but I'm surely not yet there.
 I myself am not very happy with the B/W conversion and I also am ambiguous  about the colored one,
because of the heavy postprod. I did a lot of experimentation in post (I'm a newbie there), like using  b/w conversion
layers in luminance mode, doubled layers in soft light mode and such.

I see it as an intermediate result and thought some feedback could help  me here.

The b/w conversion is not as I wanted it, but the closest I could go to  for now.

So - my personal favourite here also is the colored one, though I'll give a  b/w conversion another try, just as an exercise.
 I do not yet own the filters I want to have for true b/w, because I'll most  likely go for a Cokin system and a big diameter -
 my 250 mm lens had 72 mm filter diameter.

Thanks for all the input so far.
I'll work more on it, and I'm sure I'll make more images of tree trunks - its an
inner image I have had for quite some time now and its not yet realized as I wish.
I am also not yet content with the way how sharpness / unsharpness is realized here.

Cheers
Chris

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:24:31 pm »

I prefer the color version too.  Composition-wise, I like it.  You have some strong lines.  The pathway at the bottom right was a little distracting (at least to my eyes), but not a deal breaker.

As for B&W conversions, you may want to download a free trial of Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro.  They have decent presets that can be adjusted to your tastes and color filters that are quite effective IMHO.  It has become my go-to source for B&W conversions.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:03:17 pm »

Another recent image of this type where I explore trees - this time its an oak.
Its from a Fuji Acros 100 negative.

[attachment=23196:BW_02.jpg]
Pages: [1]   Go Up