Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w  (Read 8585 times)

Gupfold

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »

Hi there

Has anyone had any experience with the new Dell UltraSharp U2410 or U2711 - LCD displays. I hear they are both IPS panels. Any idea how they compare to the HP LP2475w with regards to colour and for use with colour critical work, how well and easily they calibrate etc. Would you consider going from the HP to the Dell an upgrade?

Thanks
Guy

Pat Herold

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

IMO, you'd want to be careful about buying any kind of wide-gamut monitor like this that does not include some kind of 10 or 12-bit internal graphics ability that you have access to.  You run a much greater risk of seeing some color banding in your images the further away from its native operation you calibrate to.  It's all in the need to define a much broader range of colors with less than 256 (x3) steps of color.

For more information, read the section on "flat curves":
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Monitors_Par...#Flat_curves.3F
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:50:11 am »

Quote from: Gupfold
Hi there

Has anyone had any experience with the new Dell UltraSharp U2410 or U2711 - LCD displays. I hear they are both IPS panels. Any idea how they compare to the HP LP2475w with regards to colour and for use with colour critical work, how well and easily they calibrate etc. Would you consider going from the HP to the Dell an upgrade?

Thanks
Guy
I have a U2410.  If it has any flaw, it is that it is too bright.  I personally don't see that as a big problem. It seems to softproof well.  I like it.  

Here is a decent review of the U2410 http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/conten...410.htm#factory

Here is a fairly long discussion of its pluses and minuses:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ic=40068&hl
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

BobFisher

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »

No experience with either but do have experience with Dell's customer/warranty support and will never buy a Dell product again.

Pretty in depth reviews of each.

LP2475w

U2410

And the U2711 for good measure.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:24:17 pm by BobFisher »

WombatHorror

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
No experience with either but do have experience with Dell's customer/warranty support and will never buy a Dell product again.

Pretty in depth reviews of each.

LP2475w

U2410

And the U2711 for good measure.

I would look at prad.de reviews, they are pretty much the only site that actually uses an i1Pro, or at least a generic DTP94b wide gamut conversion. Flatpanels and for sure TFTCentral sometimes get some weird gamut/white point results for monitors, TFTCentral is absolutely totally off an all of their gamut/white point measurements on wide gamut monitors since they use a non-modded i1D2 with software that applies no compensation.

Surprised to hear about you bad experiences with Dell warranty/support. They were amazingly good about taking back and offering full refund and shipping when I purchased a 2405 that had major overdrive problems (they eventually solved it months and months later with some later revisions). No problems at all, one call and it was taken care of. I had a great experience with them. Samsung on the other hand, wow.... By far the worst, most disreputable, dishonest 'service' I have ever had to deal with, lied and gave me the run around for almost two straight years, had to threaten them with filing with the state Attorney General. If you google Samsung you will find that they have already gotten in trouble in many states and have a worse than terrible reputation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:16:59 pm by LarryBaum »

BobFisher

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 03:23:04 pm »

Dell is infamous for bad service.  Started when they shipped primary support offshore and got worse when they shipped elevated support offshore as well.  Took them 3 tries to send me a proper warranty replacement.  More than 10 hours on the phone.  I was outright lied to by several of their employees.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
Dell is infamous for bad service.  Started when they shipped primary support offshore and got worse when they shipped elevated support offshore as well.  Took them 3 tries to send me a proper warranty replacement.  More than 10 hours on the phone.  I was outright lied to by several of their employees.

To be completely honest, when I buy a value-priced product like any of the dell displays, I tend to assume that support will be atrocious.  Similarly, I always buy OEM hard drives, display cards, and processors.  It certainly doesn't exonerate Dell from responsibility, but each of us places value on different attributes of the product, from price to quality and service.  

with that said, I hope my 7-month old U2410 doesn't break down. It is still going strong though.  We'll know if I am truly satisfied in three or four years.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Gupfold

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »

Thanks for all the input and links, looks like a good monitor for the price. I have had good and bad experience with Dell support, but not going to let that put me off.

Thanks again
Guy

BobFisher

Dell U2410 vs HP LP2475w
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30:18 am »

Quote from: fike
To be completely honest, when I buy a value-priced product like any of the dell displays, I tend to assume that support will be atrocious.  Similarly, I always buy OEM hard drives, display cards, and processors.  It certainly doesn't exonerate Dell from responsibility, but each of us places value on different attributes of the product, from price to quality and service.  

with that said, I hope my 7-month old U2410 doesn't break down. It is still going strong though.  We'll know if I am truly satisfied in three or four years.

Dell's support used to be better.  When the entire operation was resident here it was quite good.  Even when they moved first level support offshore, if you could get past that to second level support - which was resident here - the second level support was quite good.  Now it's all bad.  I think their philosophy toward support changed and I don't think they invested enough in training of the new people.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up